Food at the office - HELP

Options
2»

Replies

• Livingfreetoday
    Livingfreetoday Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    So much thanks for all the great thoughts. This really helps.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Obesity is a choice.

Choose otherwise ... or don't.

It's completely up to you.

I didn't choose to be obese. Medications and other metabolic disorders did that for me.

OP: Yes. I work at a private school and there are goodies everywhere… Break rooms, classrooms, etc.

If I am unable to fit the goodies at work into my calorie goals/macros, I eat my own snacks that I bring from home.

• rcottonrph1
    Options
    Stock your desk with healthy goodies. Always have a healthier option available. Walk out of your way places so the junk is out of sight!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Giving up office goodies was one of the first things I did because it was so obvious they didn't fit (and they generally weren't actually that good anyway). I found that the first time saying "no" was the hardest, but it only took a few goes to develop the habit of not having them, and every single time I say "no" I'm empowering myself even more.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat it.

It's that simple. :)

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I used to feel like I *had* to eat all the office goodies. I'd grab a chocolate or two from the basket every time I walked by. I'd have a big piece of cake every time it was someone's birthday. I'd eat all the baked goodies that people brought in, and I'd sample all the stuff that suppliers would send over at Christmastime. It was like, free food = I'm in.

Now I no longer look at it as free. All this food has a cost: it "costs" calories, of which I have a limited number to spend. It's much easier to pass up the cupcakes that my colleagues brought in when I know I have a nice dinner planned that I want to be able to eat later.
  • kristishrider
    Options
    We have a bottomless candy jar at my office too... three of them actually. And a filing cabinet drawer with bag of candy. It's hard. But I have only had one piece in the last month. U kno, menstrual problems :(
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    One of the first things that I learned when I started counting calories is still one of the most important-- some things are worth making room in your calories, but most things people bring to the office are not. If it's one of the few things that's worth the calories to me, like my boss's homemade cake, then I shift things around, go for an extra walk, or borrow calories from another day. If it's one of the many many things that just aren't very good I don't have any trouble passing it up.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Yup.

I choose not to eat it.

Self discipline is much like a muscle. If we exercise it, it gets stronger. If we ignore it, it atrophies.

This. There will always be temptation. Only you can decide what is special enough to treat yourself with. If you don't want to eat it, then don't. You have the ability to say no.

• pjs2780
    pjs2780 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat it.

and if someone forces it on you, take it, wrap it in a napkin "for later"...and throw it away.
  • minamu68
    Options
    Similar deal at my workplace, usually sweets, doughnuts, cookies, candy, etc. In other words, the most dangerous stuff, if you're weak to it. However, I learned some time ago that one or two bites of most sweets will satisfy as much as the whole shebang. Thus, I am usually satisfied by just a taste of something, and also don't feel deprived.

That said, if there is a combination of nuts and chocolate involved, all bets are off. . . .

But I have found that I can say no to just about everything else sweet, or if it looks really interesting, just have enough of a taste to not feel left out.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    minamu68 wrote: »
    That said, if there is a combination of nuts and chocolate involved, all bets are off. . . .

I hear ya.
  • tracyheartsrob
    tracyheartsrob Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Isn't it the worst?? I also work in an environment where there is constantly food around. We have a candy drawer, we have at least one potluck a month, our clients are always bringing us gifts, we work about a block away from an authentic Norwegian bakery, and so on. It took some work but what one of the early posters said is true: it's like a muscle. I've been good about staying away from the goodies people bring in. I don't even look in the candy drawer anymore. It's almost like you can forget it's there with time. I know this is easier said than done.

I do participate in the pot lucks but I am mindful of portion control. I put my food on my plate & then I walk away to eat it. That way, I am not near the food to continue snacking once I have eaten what was on my plate.

That's really all I've got for you. Good luck!
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    pjs2780 wrote: »
    Just don't eat it.

and if someone forces it on you, take it, wrap it in a napkin "for later"...and throw it away.

Or give it to a family member or friend. No need to waste perfectly good food.

• trevandmel2015
    Options
    I was also in the same position in my office. A lot of people would bring in home-baked treats or meetings were catered with sweet platters full of slices, cakes, muffins etc. I just decided that I would ignore these foods and order more fruit platters or healthier alternatives when it was my turn to order the catering. I always have a stash of fruit at my desk, some almonds or a healthy version of a trail mix in my stash. Every now & then I might have a small treat and partake in a slice but I would cut that into a bite size piece and leave the rest on the platter. I am also lucky in that I have a lot of colleagues who live rather healthy lifestyles and they are always supportive and/or in the same boat so it helps knowing I'm not the only one resisting temptation!
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I just tell myself "I dont eat that kind of food" This way I take control of it, not "I cant eat that". I am not the person that does well with2-3 bites. If I start on sweets, my brain goes haywire, so I dont eat certain foods. I know my triggers. I also feel proud that I put myself in the position of choosing what foods I eat, instead of feeling they control me/
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I am looking for some strategies and help from my fellow MFPers. I work in a large office in a rather open environment. There is ALWAYS food around the office - chocolates, cakes, etc. I do pack healthy snacks but I hear the junk singing my name.

Anybody have to deal with this? What to do?
    Thanks,

-
    Tell it to shut up!

• krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I have a rule. If I didn't bring it into the office, I don't eat it.

This rule is the only thing that has saved me as well... I tend to have to make lots of rules in order to stay within my goals
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    There are three ways you can deal with this:
    go bonkers (indulgence),
    moderation (have a very little bit, then walk away), or
    avoidance (avoid it entirely).

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I imagine having to log it for all to see. Helps me not to have it.