#20in4

Options
So, let me start off with saying I am not going to beat myself to the ground, starve myself or doing any crazy diet things.
My daughter and I will be going to Florida the beginning of May for a cheer comp. I weighed myself this morning (a couple times because my scale at home seems to be off) but the one at work after the gym with clothes on and having drank 23.7 of water I was 153.5. I would like to be at my goal weight of 135 by the time we leave for Florida. So give or take that is 20# in about 3.4 months.
Am I completely out of my head? As stated above I am not going to do anything crazy. I want to do this the healthy way because I want to maintain @ 135. I am also not going to beat myself up and quit if I don't achieve that goal by May. I will just keep going till I do. Should I lower my goal and do 15# by May or do we think it could happen?
Thanks

Replies

• SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Hi! I lost 18.2 pounds from early August to late October last year (10 weeks), so I would say it might be a realistic goal for you, though I started heavier than you are, by 30lbs or so.

I measured, weighed and tracked everything, and stayed pretty low cal (under 1300 most days but I was sedentary).

I would say have an ultimate goal in mind but don't sweat it if you end up losing 13, 15, 18 or whatever pounds. If you are so focused on the 20 and on the vacation goal, you might end up blowing it after you get back home.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I think you should just start. Forget about the time goal and see where you are in 3 months. Why worry about something that shouldn't worry you cause you want to go on until you're done anyway?
    the last 10 lbs are the hardest to lose so it might not work... but then maybe it does...

Do 1lb now and switch to .75 .5 once you are closer to goal
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Are you interested in the number on the scale or the way your body looks?

If the latter then I strongly advise a lifting programme and a goal of no more than 1lb a week

you'll be amazed how your body reacts to resistance based exercises

Even start with bodyweight exercises - see nerdfitness.com bodyweight for beginners

Lots of other programmes
    Stronglifts 5x5
    Strong Curves
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I agree with rabbitjb - focus more on how your body feels and looks than the scale. I've stayed the same weight since August and I look quite different due to lifting.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    18 lbs in 3.4 months is doable. You'll have to work hard and be pretty strict with your nutrition, but I've seen it done. Focus on your effort and eating a healthy diet at an appropriate calorie level, and you'll make some awesome progress over the next 3.4 months. Rock it and work hard!
  • msfine2328
    msfine2328 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am interested in looking better and also the number on the scale. I have set the "time limit" for myself because I know that I always do better when I have a "time frame" . Just the way my brain in wired I guess. I will def look into the things stated about lifting above. I do the weight machine at the gym but maybe I need more. Thank you all for your imput
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    It is definitely doable. Especially if there are certain "vices" you can cut out of your life, such as soda or sweet tea. If you have any of those kinds of habits, you'll be freeing up a lot of calories for the yummy nutritious stuff.

IMO it's fine to focus on the scale as long as you are toning your muscles. The more you work on those muscles, the more calories you burn at rest, the lower the number over time (assuming you are following a balanced diet). It would also be great to take measurements and/or take pictures every month.

Lifting weights is great but you can also do mat workouts and the like to challenge and confuse those muscles. Bridges, squats, lunges, leg lifts, push ups, arm curls, etc. will all get you in shape and you don't even need anything other than maybe a mat and some dumbbells. Or, if you're like me, use a DVD to motivate you.

The "trouble" with losing weight that quickly is maintaining the target weight, but it IS possible to maintain it if you are diligent. There's nothing wrong with setting the bar high as long as you hold yourself accountable.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I started at 159lb and in 9 weeks I'm at 8.5 lbs lost. I have the same goal as you to reach around 135lbs. I think 1lb per week loss is reasonable at this weight range we are in.
  • msfine2328
    msfine2328 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I also started going to barre class this week to switch things up from just the gym with cardio/weight machines. Everything has been very helpful everyone. Thanks so much!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Are you interested in the number on the scale or the way your body looks?

If the latter then I strongly advise a lifting programme and a goal of no more than 1lb a week

you'll be amazed how your body reacts to resistance based exercises

Even start with bodyweight exercises - see nerdfitness.com bodyweight for beginners

Lots of other programmes
    Stronglifts 5x5
    Strong Curves
    New Rules of Lifting for Women

BAM!