Muscle imbalance?

Options
So, I have noticed that my right arm is larger and flabbier than the left. (I am right-handed.) At the same time, my left glute/thigh is more toned and round than the right and I'm actually pretty happy with it...the right side, however is flabbier and has more cellulite and looks more Hank Hill booty-ish. I have searched online and found contradicting information. I am unsure if I need to work my right side more than the left side, or do the opposite, or just work them both equally. Is this even "muscle imbalance"? It's kind of confusing and I'm afraid of making the difference worse by working out the right side more than the left. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I think if you are lifting weights work both sides equally with the same weight and check form. If it's fat, it should even out eventually as you continue losing weight.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Is it a muscle imbalance or an issue with fat distribution?

Do a couple of weeks of strength work using dumbbells and single arm/leg lifts and see if there is a meaningful strength discrepancy or if you need to focus on fat loss. Or both.

Also, are you taking measurements, or is this purely subjective?
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I would say there is a 90% chance that there is nothing to worry about. Just keep training, keep dieting and reassess later. Even pro bodybuilders have noticeable issues with symmetry.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    My arms are a little imbalanced... it's 'cause I'm a mom. I hold my 25 lb. son for about an hour a day (though, it is getting less lately) and I have been favoring my left side. I am right handed - so I have my right hand free to conquor the rest of the world. I have started trying to hold him more with my right arm to even things out. Lol! But when I work out, lift weights, etc. I keep the weights and reps the same for both sides. It is my understanding that you are supposed to keep the weight the same for both sides and let your weaker side build up.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Symetry is never perfect from one side to the other but most people wouldn't really notice the difference like you do. How many times have you looked at someone else and noticed a difference from one side to the other?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    I would say there is a 90% chance that there is nothing to worry about. Just keep training, keep dieting and reassess later. Even pro bodybuilders have noticeable issues with symmetry.

Yup. Unless you have major problems like toppling over sideways when you squat, you're probably fine. Most people are not perfectly symmetrical physically or functionally.
  • JESILOVESJAX
    JESILOVESJAX Posts: 4 Member
    Options

jacksonpt wrote: »
    Is it a muscle imbalance or an issue with fat distribution?

Do a couple of weeks of strength work using dumbbells and single arm/leg lifts and see if there is a meaningful strength discrepancy or if you need to focus on fat loss. Or both.

Also, are you taking measurements, or is this purely subjective?

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I didn't even realize anyone had replied, I was expecting some kind of notification.

Anyway, Jacksonpt, I just took measurements right now and the right thigh/glute area is about an inch more on the Left and looks more firm and toned than the right. I am actually surprised that the difference is only 1 inch. Really looks like more to me and also in pictures. On the arms, the right arm is an inch bigger and is just flabbier and fatter. I guess I am just more toned on the left side. Also I do notice that when I do exercises like single leg bridges it is much easier and feels more natural when I do the left side.The right side seems to struggle more and the movement feels more awkward. So all that being said, when I do any form of strength training do you agree with the other posters about just keeping even on both sides or would you go heavier/more repetitions on the right side so that it will get firmer and more like the other side? I'm sure this crap sounds kind of annoying and like I am obsessing over something insignificant, but if there is a way to improve it, I would like to give it a try. Thanks.
  • JESILOVESJAX
    JESILOVESJAX Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I came across this site while trying to find info. Anyone have any thoughts on this?http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-fix-glute-imbalances/
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Which strength training routine have you been following the past year?