How accurate are you?

Options

Replies

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    I weigh everything except individual prepackaged items and eggs. Weighing is easy and fast and a habit, taring my scale to weigh a handful of spinach is easier and faster for me than the time it takes for me to even consider just eyeballing it.

I have had one egg that is the USDA-given 70 calories per large egg. Most are 75+. Small enough that it doesn't make much difference overall, but I like to know.

But what I would put down as the 3-cups-20-calorie serving of raw spinach has never been accurate. I have always under-eyeballed.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything...Also my herbs and spices i use.
    It isn't much calories, but when i make a soup it adds quickly up to 50 calories sometimes even more.

And yes liquids get measured :)
  • LazyCatPame
    LazyCatPame Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything, included packed things (most of them tend to say things like "20gr" and then they're 25gr), except my Kit Kats... I love them more than that lol
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Unless it's something like canned tuna, I'll weigh it.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I am very accurate, but I tend to measure by volume rather than weight. I eat a lot of veggies but try to limit my fruit. It's pretty clear to me what the sizes are for different fruits, so I don't feel the need to weight them every time. A lot of the fruits that I eat frequently (pom arils, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries) make more sense measured by volume than weight.

I never eat bananas...maybe that's the key issue.

It's possible to be fairly precise about tracking without driving yourself insane.
  • runeatrunlive
    runeatrunlive Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I weigh meat, cheese, carby stuff (pasta, rice, porridge etc) and most fruits. I don't bother weighing vegetables - generally I just input the serving as 100g as when I have weighed veg previously a serving has normally ended up being 80-90g so if anything I'm overestimating with the veg.
  • Fuamami
    Fuamami Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    lgutches wrote: »
    OP: I would love to know if these answers are representative of the MFP community or if the topic was of interest mostly to those who see weighing foods as priority. I do not mean any disrespect at all to those of you who have responded in the affirmative - and perhaps I am wrong - but my guess is that those who have responded to this post tend to be those who value weighing their food. The reason I bring this up is simply to take a little pressure of the OP, especially since she mentions that she doesn't weigh everything. One might get the impression that you're "doing it wrong" if you don't weigh your food, which - of course - isn't true. All that said, well done to all - we're all working hard, just doing it in different ways! :)

This is a good answer! I rarely weigh and occasionally measure, but have had success. Maybe it could have been faster, but it's painful for me to count calories anyway so I don't think it would be sustainable FOR ME. For others, it probably is. I underestimate a little on my burns, too, since they always seem high. I figure it all comes out in the wash, and that seems to be true because I have lost the weight.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I weigh some things and guesstimate others (definitely guess fruit and veg). As long as the scale is going in the direction I want that's fine, if not, I get more meticulous with it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Weigh everything, including gum and spices.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    lgutches wrote: »
    I'm not accurate at all. I don't weigh anything, etc., because I need this to be sustainable for me...

Ditto. I don't weight anything but pasta and meats in recipes. On the other hand, I also do not count all my steps everywhere and only log intentional exercise. I guess it balances out, because I'm continuing to lose weight. I would say that it helps to weigh things more when you are first starting to log so you can learn to eyeball appropriate portion sizes.

Do what works for you! If *not* weighing is *not* working, then try weighing! :smiley:

19507081.png
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything unless it is prepacked in individual servings by the manufacturer.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I eyeball everything, including fats and cheese and other calorie-dense stuff. If I'm having meat cooked from raw, I'll look at the total package weight and eyeball weight rather than volume, but that's as close as I get to weighing anything.

I lost a significant amount of weight and got well below my current goal a few years ago by eyeballing, and am down 20+ pounds now by eyeballing, so I know that it works for me. (Maintaining does not work so much for me, alas!)
  • AmberAntoine
    Options
    I think it is important to weight everything doesn't matter starchy or not, a calorie is calorie doesn't matter where it comes from.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my banana. And I don't weigh pre-portioned foods (like a slice of bread, for example) But I do weigh all my other fruits and veggies. If I'm at someone else's house… I estimate. If I'm eating out (rarely happens), I will try to get nutrition info from their website or I'll estimate.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ftsolk wrote: »
    This is sort of a follow-up on my previous thread on transitioning to MFP from WW.

How accurate are you when it comes to counting calories for fruit and vegetables. Do you place your banana on the scale and track the exact number of grams, or do you just grab one and estimate that it's a "medium" banana? Do you grab a handful of spinach and just figure it's a cup? Do you loosely place it in a measuring cup? Or do you stick it on a scale and track the exact number of grams in it?

Right now, I use my scale to weigh out starchy foods, meats, cheese, etc, but I don't weigh/measure fruit and vegetables. I just eyeball portions if I double track.

(Note, that I DO weigh things like avocado and potatoes).

I weigh everything - except lettuce which I just guestimate that from bag weight

might as well not bother if using cups they are so inaccurate

• pinkshoelaces
    pinkshoelaces Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything I know has a substantial amount of calories: meat, bread, pretty much all fruits, even squash and zucchini and stuff like that, but generally I don't bother with things like lettuce and peppers because it doesn't account for anything I consider worth logging.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I weigh protein and carbs, fruit if it's large. If I've had something before and have a sense of it, I use previous information. I look stuff up if I'm unfamiliar, read labels, scan bar codes on packaged goods.

To the person who questioned the motivation of those posting here: Of course the people that respond to this post are more likely weighing and measuring. Who else would have posted here? If you want to find out who isn't doing this post a topic about who doesn't weigh and measure.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I do not believe in owning a scale period,,, food scale or weight scale.BUT I AM ACCURATE in how much exercise I DO! FAITHFULLY!! 2 to 3 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention before that the food scale is more than just for calorie counting.

Since i got a food scale, my homemade bread has been exactly the same every single time i bake it. It's how i always did it in food service yet i never bothered to get a scale at home. There's a reason why big kitchens use scales. Every time i made it before i had to take notes on how tight i packed each ingredient into the cups and even then my notes were subjective. How tight is tightly packed or how loose is loosely packed. Then there's measuring spoons and if they are packed, level, rounded etc.

Being able to weigh the ingredients makes it easier to experiment with recipes too !!! Some things really do need to be adjusted on a percentage and the scale does that for me.
  • JanBran1
    Options
    I only weigh about half the time if that. I guesstimate things like eggs, apples etc because I use them a lot and feel that I've got a rough idea of how much they weigh.