hands blisters from kettlebell swings.... :( *in pain*

Options
anyone know how to prevent hand blisters from kettlebell swings? apparently gloves doesn't help much... :(

Replies

• jenny3008
    jenny3008 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I use chalk and don't grip the kettle ball too tightly... allow it to move a little in my palm.

Means I don't get blisters but over the last couple of years I have developed a set of incredibly attractive calluses under my fingers :(
  • CherryChan81
    CherryChan81 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Awww... I have to be prepared for that too I guess... :'(
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    use chalk, and your hands will toughen up.

You should see my left hand today from yesterday's deadlift session.
  • alc212
    alc212 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm with jenny. Don't grip so tight, and use chalk. You will get calluses but actually tearing your hands up means bad form, it's not a tough stamp.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Gloves help me with calluses when I'm hitting the KBs hard but I've never gotten blisters. Is your handle rough? Do you do other moves besides swings? How many swings do you do?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You'll adapt quickly. Give it a few weeks at most.
  • CherryChan81
    Options
    Gloves help me with calluses when I'm hitting the KBs hard but I've never gotten blisters. Is your handle rough? Do you do other moves besides swings? How many swings do you do?

only do swings with both hands, 12kgs bell, 5 sets of 60 swings...
  • CherryChan81
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Just started out deadlift... it hurts my already almost blistered hands... oh well, toughen up Cherry!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I would let your blisters heel before doing anything that irritates them, or they'll never heal. Can you do anything that doesn't hurt them? It's probably better for you to mix it up than to do 300 swings anyway. Turkish getups, windmills, good mornings, push presses, rows, figure 8, halo, squats, lunges, snatch, cleans-- lots of options! And if you can't grab a bell without hurting blisters, let them heal and start over with chalk or gloves or a looser grip. Good luck!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Just started out deadlift... it hurts my already almost blistered hands... oh well, toughen up Cherry!
    I tore a callous off my pinkie finger.

Not too bad.

Then I hit the spot with hot water while washing dishes. WTF.
  • CherryChan81
    Options

I tore a callous off my pinkie finger.

Not too bad.

Then I hit the spot with hot water while washing dishes. WTF.

i am scared now!!! i think it will start bleeding tomorrow... another session of deadlift...
  • CherryChan81
    Options
    I would let your blisters heel before doing anything that irritates them, or they'll never heal. Can you do anything that doesn't hurt them? It's probably better for you to mix it up than to do 300 swings anyway. Turkish getups, windmills, good mornings, push presses, rows, figure 8, halo, squats, lunges, snatch, cleans-- lots of options! And if you can't grab a bell without hurting blisters, let them heal and start over with chalk or gloves or a looser grip. Good luck!

Thanks so much! <3
  • KettleBelle68
    KettleBelle68 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would agree to let your hands rest a day or so until they don't hurt or look like they'll bleed. Another cheap fix that I learned about from Tracy Reifkind is to cut the top off of a pair of socks and use that as a way to protect your hands (I used a pair of old crew socks). You can cut them as long as you want and can use either end. Sometimes the end with the band rubs and I'll switch them around. Sounds goofy, but it works!