Hitting a plateau

Options
hello everyone I was wondering what you all do when you hit a plateau? I feel like im stuck after doing so well its kind of depressing. I have lost 72lbs since April 2014 and want to lose a 100 by April 2015.. I need help!!!

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    When someone has hit a plateau it means they're eating at maintenance. Have you adjusted your calorie goal since losing 72lbs? The smaller you get, the less calories you need to maintain your weight. Maybe since you've lost so much, you're TDEE has gone down and you need to lower your goal. Opening your diary would help. How do you determine how many calories you eat? Do you eyeball portions, measure with cups and spoons, weigh food on a scale, etc...? You may think you're eating less than you are. When you get closer to a healthy weight, you really need to make sure you're logging is correct. If your body needs less calories, it's easier to kill your deficit with logging errors and "cheat days".
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    if you want bigger results, you gotta challenge yourself more.
  • catherinemcalpine9
    Options
    Intervals have worked for me. Even 30 seconds by 1 minute for 10-15 minutes works magic. I am re-committing to My Fitness Pal. I get stalled after the first 10 pounds. My sister has lost and kept off 50 pounds by exercising 2 x per day to boost metabolism
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    When someone has hit a plateau it means they're eating at maintenance. Have you adjusted your calorie goal since losing 72lbs?

• tattooedchick80
    Options
    thanks everyone I haven't changed my eating maybe I should do that. I thought maybe I had to change my exercise up but that didn't work
  • CanadianCountryGirl1973
    Options
    I would say "start fresh". I.e. make 28 pounds your loss goal as if you were just starting out, weigh in now, and see what the magic formula tells you. Change your exercise routine, etc. I would try not to think of it as a plateau.... because you're right, that can get depressing. Think of it as a new beginning and new challenge. Congratulations on the 72 pounds btw... that is simply awesome!!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone I haven't changed my eating maybe I should do that. I thought maybe I had to change my exercise up but that didn't work

Weight loss starts in the kitchen. If you aren't losing, there's a discrepancy in your logging. How long has it been since you lost? Do you regularly update your deficit as you lose? Do you weigh/measure every bite and sip? How much of your exercise calories do you eat back?
  • tattooedchick80
    Options
    I would say "start fresh". I.e. make 28 pounds your loss goal as if you were just starting out, weigh in now, and see what the magic formula tells you. Change your exercise routine, etc. I would try not to think of it as a plateau.... because you're right, that can get depressing. Think of it as a new beginning and new challenge. Congratulations on the 72 pounds btw... that is simply awesome!!

thank you I guess I just didn't look at it that way.
  • tattooedchick80
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Weight loss starts in the kitchen. If you aren't losing, there's a discrepancy in your logging. How long has it been since you lost? Do you regularly update your deficit as you lose? Do you weigh/measure every bite and sip? How much of your exercise calories do you eat back?

I have been losing a pound every other week now but the first 50 came off pretty quickly and then more im down 72 now. I haven't been weighing and measuring more eye balling