Any ideas on keeping carbohydrates at 55% of diet

Options
I'm trying really hard with my diet and I always seem to go over in carbs

Replies

• nataliemush
    nataliemush Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm finding that too. I'm eating diets chef food and it seems most of my dinner choices want rice with them and with porridge or bran for breakfast it has gone up today. I have decided to cancel tonight's rice and have double portion of veg instead.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It's hard to give specific advice as your food diary is private. The great thing about logging your food is that you can use that to review and see what can be changed. Check out the items with the highest carbs and do some research on alternatives.

For instance, if you're eating crackers or chips with a meal or as a snack, eat some fresh fruits and veggies instead. Cut down on the portion amount of pasta, rice or starchy veggies.
  • SamPlant16
    Options
    Try making cauliflower rice. Use a blender to grate some cauliflower, then place it in a sealed tubberware box with seasoning and place it in the microwave for 3 minutes on full power. I would also recommend a cauliflower pizza base

http://www.lavenderandlovage.com/2013/07/low-calorie-cauliflower-crust-pizza-gluten-free-paleo-and-52-diet-pizza-recipe.html
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    55% is still fairly high so it should be fairly easy to make up 45% of your calories with fats and protein.

What kinds of foods do you like to eat? There are usually ways to adapt meals to decrease the carbohydrate content and increase the protein and/or fat content.

Make protein the basis of your meal - meat, fish or vegetarian protein option, add some vegetables (possibly cooking in fat) and serve with a portion of carbohydrate (pasta, rice, potato, etc) and you should have a complete and balanced meal.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with Karen that 55% carbohydrates does seem pretty high, at least for me.

Focus on eating more protein and healthy fats. Eggs, lean meats, avocados, nuts, Greek yogurt...

Anything that comes prepackaged is likely to have a higher carbohydrate content, which is why I am extremely careful to read labels when I buy boxed/packaged foods. When I read the label, I ask myself some questions. Will I be able to portion it out? Will the carbs in a serving of this leave me avoiding carbs the rest of the day? Is there overall nutritional value to this?

Focus on your target number of carbohydrates, pre-plan a day, and get to feeling out what it's really like to portion out your macronutrients that way.

I DO eat carbs... English muffins, protein bars, a serving of crackers, beans, fruits, vegetables, etc. I just avoid rice and pasta and other grains unless I am sure it's going to fit in my "allowance".
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    my carbs are faily low..replace them with protien. EAsy enough.

Check my diary if you want.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I keep my carbs at 30%, I eat a lot of eggs, meat, veggies, and salads. Just stay away from bread, pasta and potatoes, those are highest in carbs.
  • KMorris12107
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Maybe just pick one meal a day to have carbs with. Keep the rest as meat/veg/fruit/dairy (within reason). I mean specifically grains when I said carbs.
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've found that if I take care of my protein, fats and veggies the carbs take care of themselves. So I'll eat just meat/fish and salad for one meal. Or perhaps have half a portion of pasta with extra vegetables. I snack on protein rather than carbs too.

Tweak your macro settings to that you get more protein (Perhaps 25% to start if you're used to eating lots of carbs, and maybe 25% fat) and you'll end up eating fewer carbs as you try to hit the macros.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Firstly, there is no perfect percentage of each macro, so I wouldn't fret too much about it. But you can look for ways to increase healthy fat and protein, such as more fish, beans, yogurt, olive oil, coconut, nuts, avocado, etc. Try to have some fat and protein at each meal.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Depends on overall goals. My carbs never go below 50%
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to lower the percentage is to eat more of the other macros in proportion. Like adding a little protein to every meal, every snack. My pasta dinner looks very different now. A cup of pasta is tiny. Then there's a few glorious meatballs mounding on top.