Should I stop eating beans.....

Options
xsix
xsix Posts: 62 Member
I train Kung Fu, and my teacher recommended that I stop eating beans to lose my tummy. I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian, I don't eat much dairy at all at this time, I have just started eating eggs again simply because its sound to include more protein in the diet when trying to lose weight. I believe that I need plant based protein if I do not eat much dairy, has anyone just given up protein completely? I know that we don't need as much protein as recommended by the USDA or even in some body building forums, but we do need it in our diet. Has anyone here ever tried this approach before?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Oh puleez. Why would a teacher tell you to stop eating beans when you are eating only a little dairy and eggs? Beans are fine. In order to make up for not getting the protein in the beans you need to add more dairy and eggs. You could try nuts and seeds. Also broccoli, hemp seed, . . .
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    You should never cut out a whole food group completely. If you're intolerant or allergic to some parts of a food group then by all means don't eat whatever it is your body doesn't agree with, but you have to compensate with something else that gives you the same nutrients. It would be VERY dangerous to remove protein from your diet altogether as it is ESSENTIAL to the proper functioning of your body. Aside from your muscles, which by far use the biggest amount of protein (and which I'd guess are pretty vital for kung fu, right?), without protein your hair might fall out, your nails might drop off... oh and pretty much every single one of the vital chemical reactions that happen in your body every single millisecond of every single day to keep you ALIVE are all catalysed by - you guessed it - proteins! You know those starving children in Africa with skeletal bodies but bloated bellies - yup, protein malnutrition. Not the look you're going for, amirite?
    Eat your beans and don't listen to a kung-fu trainer for your nutrition advice. He's trained in kung-fu. not medical science.
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Beans are more than just protein - they have tons of fiber too!
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what relationship beans would have to your tummy size. I can think of other reasons why someone might want you to lay off beans leading up to a kung fu class, but beans don't make your tummy fat. Protein is important. You can't give up protein.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    The only thing beans will do to your tummy is give you a touch of gas bloat. Your instructor is full of it.
  • ASG_21
    ASG_21 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yeah, don't do that. Your body NEEDS protein. Your hair, skin, nails, immune system, muscles, organs, and your heart (the most important muscle/organ you have) are all made of protein. That's a VERY bad idea. Your teacher is an idiot.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Beans = protein, fiber, micronutrients and low calorie. Sounds like the perfect "diet food" to me.

Kung fu teachers =/= nutritionist
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    Lol, if only you could take them to court for misleading information.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Beans = protein, fiber, micronutrients and low calorie. Sounds like the perfect "diet food" to me.

This.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    NOOO!!! Eat the beans, especially since it sounds like it's your major source of protein. Humans need protein, and fiber, and deliciousness (hey, it's a 'thing' in my reality).

And I lost my tummy (I gain predominantly in the stomach/abdomen area) eating all the beans, all the time (exaggeration, but def. every day).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Beans are little tiny protein and fiber bombs that pack a huge punch. Eat them.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Try soaking them for 24 hours with some whey or lemon juice. They cook really fast and it will make them much easier for you to digest. This should help lesson any bloating you might get from them and it predigests them. This neautralizes some of the mildly toxic acids that cause digestive upset and your body will deal with the startch more effectively.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the common dogma out there.......your either trolling or not interpreting how much protein vegan body builders actually consume.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

This. I can't even fathom how someone could pick beans as a food to cut out, Unless you keep farting on him and that was his discrete way of making you stop. :smiley:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

This. I can't even fathom how someone could pick beans as a food to cut out, Unless you keep farting on him and that was his discrete way of making you stop. :smiley:

Ha! I possibility, I suppose. :o
  • xsix
    Options
    Thanks every on, I tend to soak my beans over night and change the water twice before pressure cooking :). This cuts down on the gas factor tremendously.
  • xsix
    Options
    Try soaking them for 24 hours with some whey or lemon juice. They cook really fast and it will make them much easier for you to digest. This should help lesson any bloating you might get from them and it predigests them. This neautralizes some of the mildly toxic acids that cause digestive upset and your body will deal with the startch more effectively.

Awesome i'm going to try the lemon juice!
  • xsix
    Options
    Sounds like the common dogma out there.......your either trolling or not interpreting how much protein vegan body builders actually consume.

Umm i'm not trolling, and I do consider how protein vegan body builders use, I was presented with new information and decided to discuss it, in order to figure out if it feasible or not.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    The only thing beans will do to your tummy is give you a touch of gas bloat. Your instructor is full of it.

this. a few good farts and you'll "lose your belly".
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    have you read "thrive" by brendan brazier? i think that's his name. anyway, professional vegan athlete. my vegan cousin swears by him.