High Blood Pressure

Options
So, I'm a 30yr old female, in a healthy BMI range, work out 4-5 times a week easily, don't smoke, drink little, and with a pretty reasonably healthy diet.

I have a blood pressure monitor at home because I started getting white coat hypertension, and my blood pressure was elevated after a stressful period last year.

However, despite majorly increasing fitness in the past 3 months after 2 months off (I was fit before), and all of the above being tickboxes in what is recommended, my blood pressure is still elevated or high for someone of my size (130-90 regularly). If I consciously do some deep breathing and calm down for 10mins, I can get a lower reading, but that is artificial.

Any other changes or additions to my diet/routine I could make that could help cut my blood pressure? I genuinely have no idea where to look anymore as all the recommendations online are already daily habits for me so not sure what else I could be doing....

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Look up the DASH diet (dietary approaches to stop hypertension). Also, home bp monitors are notoriously inaccurate.
  • OrangeBabelfish
    OrangeBabelfish Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Will have a look. The home monitor I bought is the same brand as they have at the doctor, it's an OMRON and it's been clinically validated - which they say you need to look for in order to avoid buying some useless piece of tat!
  • mmgavitt
    mmgavitt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Watch your salt and stay hydrated. Salt has such a huge impact on BP.
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    As you probably already know keep the sodium low. I finally came off my blood pressure meds in June. I cook most everything and rarely add salt. Anything in a restaurant usually comes loaded with sodium. It's amazing what foods are high in sodium that don't taste salty. Keep working out and you'll get there. It took me almost 2 years and it runs in my family.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, there is nothing you can do.

Mine was 160s/110s (I sh%t you not) ... and then I cleaned up the diet, lost 50 pounds, quit smoking and started running marathons.

Blood pressure came down in a huge way ... but not enough. 140s/90s now ... so they put me on meds last year.

Sometimes, it's just bad genetics, or the damage has already been done and it's irreparable, or its just plain bad luck ... or whstever.

Sometimes there is nothing you can do.
  • OrangeBabelfish
    Options
    I drink upwards of 2litres of fluid a day and do try and watch my salt.... I have never been above a normal BMI so I would imagine I haven't done any irreparable damage - but when doctors seem surprised by my blood pressure for someone with my history and size, you do start to worry that you're just one of those people who have had bad luck and live healthily yet still have high blood pressure :(
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    DH uses MFP to track his sodium and potassium intake, and that has made a significant difference to his blood pressure. It might be more helpful than just watching your salt if you actively log your sodium - it's hidden in the most surprising places.
  • OrangeBabelfish
    Options
    Is potassium good or bad? I.e. do I need to up it, or keep it within a certain limit? :)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Potassium helps to reduce blood pressure. Some studies show that a low sodium diet isn't as important as having sufficient potassium to balance out the sodium. Most people don't get enough potassium. Though there are some people who have the opposite problem and have to watch their potassium levels because they have low blood pressure.

Basically, the cells need both sodium and potassium to operate. Sodium is used to draw water into the cell and potassium is used to release it. When there is too much sodium, the blood cells swell with excess water and you end up with thick blood. With sufficient potassium, the cells retain less water and less space is needed for the blood, thus reducing pressure.
  • hal1964
    hal1964 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Is potassium good or bad? I.e. do I need to up it, or keep it within a certain limit? :)

Potassium is good but only from food and not supplements. Bananas and sweet potatoes are good for that.

It sounds like you are doing good things. One thing to monitor is your stress like you mention. Cardio is good for that.
  • shawndimantha
    Options
    This seems to be a comprehensive list of non-medication ways to manage blood pressure - http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/in-depth/high-blood-pressure/art-20046974