How often do you weigh in?

Options
Right now I weigh in every morning. It can be frustrating because my weight will go up and down by a few pounds each day so it's hard to know if I am making progress each day. On the other hand I don't know if I could go an entire week without weighing myself.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    Patient, "It hurts when I do this."

Doctor, "Don't do that."

I weigh once every two weeks.
  • V44V
    V44V Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Every day is not the way to go. I weigh-in once a week, same time, same floor tile, same clothes (none). Tomorrow morning... Dum, dum dum!!!
  • roxyblack
    roxyblack Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I suppose the best approach is different for everyone... my friend finds that weighing in once every 15 days keeps her motivated, whereas, I like to weigh myself every morning.
  • promiseskept
    promiseskept Posts: 119
    Options
    I weigh daily as well...when I stay under a weight for 3 days, I count it then.
  • promiseskept
    promiseskept Posts: 119
    Options
    I weigh daily as well...when I stay under a weight for 3 days, I count it then.
  • crystal10584
    crystal10584 Posts: 334
    Options
    I'm an every day weigh-in

helps me nip gains in the butts cause most mornings, i weigh less than I did the day before.
  • Tracy184
    Tracy184 Posts: 74
    Options
    You'll make yourself crazy weighing in every day. I weigh in once a week: Tuesday morning, same scale, naked, before eating anything but after going to the bathroom. Though I'd REALLY like to weigh myself more often to see what's happening, I don't want natural fluctuations to discourage me.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Once a week. In the morning. Same time, same day every week.

Otherwise the weigh-ins are pointless.

Keep the scale in the basement if you have to.
  • dmkaiser83
    dmkaiser83 Posts: 89
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday. I shouldn't, it ticks me off some days to see that horrid little number. I'm going to try to weigh once a week, but it will be tough.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have weighed daily for a long time no problems BUT I only log my weights on Mondays usually or once a month
  • Silky815
    Silky815 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I only weigh in once a week, and it is on Friday. This way, I get to see what I have accomplished from doing my workouts during the week.
  • micki59
    micki59 Posts: 25
    Options
    Once a week. This way I only have to be disappointed once a week.. (It's been a whole 2 weeks now..lol) :laugh:
  • racergirl1991
    racergirl1991 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every Monday..if I did it every day I would obsess about it and that wouldnt be good!
  • acchickpea
    acchickpea Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed!!!!! I weigh in the morning and night!!!!!
    Really I should be weighing in at the end of the month because of the flux weight.....
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, but only log my weight once weekly.
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I used to check everyday, and then it just got obsessive so now I check once a month.
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Your weight fluctuates too much to weigh yourself every day. I would suggest weighing yourself once a week. It's hard at first to resist stepping on the scale every day but once you do it won't be that hard anymore. You might become counterproductive by weighing yourself so much, maybe getting discouraged. One day you could be retaining a lot more water than the next so once a week is what I would recommend.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I think that each person is different and needs to find what works for them. If you weigh every day and get depressed when you see a gain or no loss, then it might not be the way to go for you. If you weigh once a week expecting a certain number and get depressed when you don't see it, then that might not be the way that's right for you.

I weigh myself every day (but only record a loss). I wouldn't be able to stand it to wait for once a week and then see a little number or no change. I've haven't had a loss in 12 days (but who's counting?). I would have had a tough time if I didn't know what was going on and then saw a flat line after a whole week.
  • liftnat
    liftnat Posts: 8
    Options
    I weigh everyday and view the weight fluctuation as an opportunity to learn to be more flexible. It's helping me train my emotions to be more calm and steady and not waver every time the scale goes up and down. I can apply that to other areas of life.

I also get to learn what triggers a few pounds of weight gain. For example, last week I only got around 5 hours of sleep one night. The next day, I gained 2.5 lbs. I've spent almost a week recovering from that gain.

I learned how important sleep is to the weight loss process. If I only weighed once a week, I wouldn't know that.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Don't let anyone here tell you how often you should or should not weigh yourself. Only you can determine that. Different strokes for different folks, ya know? I typically weigh in once a week, but sometimes if I feel I need to check where I'm at I will weight midway for a total of twice a week. Studies show that regular weigh ins increase your chance at successful weight loss. However, regular doesn't mean every day. I don't recommend every day because it can change so much, but it's really up to you. Once a week seems to be best for me so I can actually see a difference when I step on the scale weekly. Good luck :)