Is anyone else a 'volume eater'? How to change it?

Options
2»

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I'm a volume eater. I like being a volume eater. You just have to choose what you eat a high volume of and you'll be fine. These days, I'll eat a half a sandwich/entree/pasta dish, but also a massive salad, fruit bowl, plate of veggies, etc. Low calorie = high volume.

Also, I've cut out most snacking. I will sometimes have a kashi bar in the afternoon so that I can get home without eating my arm, but otherwise, I save most of my calories (800-1,100) for dinner.

Great "high volume" foods (lower calorie) that satisfy: chopped broccoli, feta, tofu, salsa, bell peppers, watermelon, all greens (spinach, chard, kale, romaine, etc).
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Veggies. Broccoli is great.

Lastnight for example. I made 400g of steamed broccli, when it was done steaming, took some of that fake butter spray (OMG I'M GONNA DIE, RIGHT????!?!?!) and coated it good, and tossed some of the cheese popcorn powder (0 calories) you can get in Wal-Mart (by the popcorn) and coated it well again. Absolutely amazing.... and I felt like I was pregnant, and not my wife, lol.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    I eat slowly. S.O. makes it difficult, though. Spoils me with om noms D:
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I'm a "volume eater," too. I just eat voluminous food. I make my omelets with a crap ton of veggies and sometimes beans in them (mushrooms work well for me, since they have a 'meaty' texture to me). Salads big enough to feed a family (not just sad lettuce--spinach or kale, veggies, beans, chicken breast, corn, etc. ~400-500 cals a pop). And yeah, steamed veggies by the bagful.

I almost NEVER drink my calories (a spot of milk or cream in coffee or tea, and my protein shake--but I even make it with double liquid to make it 'bigger'). I need my precious food, but a warm beverage with a few calories in it can help between meals (for me).

I will always be this way. I always have been, even as a very lean teen and young adult. Sure I can eat 1/2 a sandwich, but it better have a quart of salad and veggie on the side, otherwise it's just an appetizer.
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Me too, me too!! If I don't feel full, I feel deprived, and I will eat all the foods. :)

I do a lot of what other people have been saying here...

Bulk up my meals with healthy, light foods...a lot of times I will have a giant salad with a little bit of lentils and rice, a good amount of protein (chicken, steak, or pork) and 2 cups of broccoli or green beans for dinner. (This comes in at around 500 calories) I usually cannot finish it.

Also, it helps me to wait as long as I can to start eating during the day, because once I've started eating I have a hard time stopping. I can't "snack" because I don't feel full, and keep snacking until I do. I get up at 5am, and don't eat anything until at least 10. Am I hungry? Sure, sometimes...but it is usually 5 minutes or so and I forget.

Another thing I do a LOT (and this doesn't work for a lot of people) but I don't *eat* anything until around 3pm. I drink coffee with skim milk and protein powder. Or coffee with butter and coconut oil. Around 250 cals each, and since I'm not chewing, I haven't wakened the beast. This supposedly has some science to it...I don't know what it is, I just remember reading it somewhere years ago. Something about how the act of chewing and the digestion involved in foods you chew activates areas of your brain associated with hunger.

And...(can you tell I've fought with this a lot, hahaha?) The last thing I do, regularly, is when I sit down to a meal and I feel like I'm starving, or feel that I don't have as much food as everyone else, and know I'm not going to be full...I eat half my food, and then take a break. Keep sitting there with my family, but push my plate away and talk for a few minutes. Then I keep eating. It takes 15 minutes from food hitting your stomach for your brain to register that it has. The "full" feeling we crave comes, if we give it a chance.

Like anything else with weight loss, so much of this is a mind game. You have to find the things that work for you, and use them to your advantage...one thing to realize is that hunger won't kill you. And that what we know as hunger is usually not real hunger. Let yourself feel hungry. What is the worst thing that can happen? Someone else said something about telling herself that it's almost 4, and she can have her real calories then...
    Sometimes it's as simple as being uncomfortable for a few days while your mind/body adjusts to a new thing.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I have never really thought of myself as a volume eater. However, I almost never snack and eat a tiny breakfast (typically 200 calories) so I guess I kind of do the "2 larger meals" thing. If I try to eat six or eight small meals throughout my day I feel very unsatisfied and vaguely angry LOL
  • rcottonrph1
    Options
    Go with it. Fill up on low cal veggies! Your health will sky rocket!