Why didn't I lose?

Options
I have been eating fewer than 2000 calories for this last week (which MFP says I should eat to lose 1.5lbs per week), averaging about 1800. Although I have not posted meals everyday I have kept it under this. I have really tried hard. I have also been doing FocusT25. At weigh in today I gained .4 lbs. I have not eaten back my exercise calories. With everything that MFP says when I am done posting for my day, I should have lost weight. Any suggestions?

Replies

• luvbwfc
    luvbwfc Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Stick with it, give it more time :)
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    ^100% CORRECT Give it more time. At least 3 weeks.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Amianne wrote: »
    I have been eating fewer than 2000 calories for this last week (which MFP says I should eat to lose 1.5lbs per week), averaging about 1800. Although I have not posted meals everyday I have kept it under this. I have really tried hard. I have also been doing FocusT25. At weigh in today I gained .4 lbs. I have not eaten back my exercise calories. With everything that MFP says when I am done posting for my day, I should have lost weight. Any suggestions?

You are most likely holding water because you started a new exercise program and your muscles are adapting. This is completely normal and should subside in a few weeks. Hang in there. You got this.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

You ate too much. You ate at maintenance levels or above.

Try harder, and eat less.
    Track everything you eat, otherwise you really have no clue what your intake was.

OR: Mild water retention.

I would correct your logging inaccuracies and hope it is water retention.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If you're new to your exercise, you are going to retain fluids that can easily mask any fat loss you may have had. Not to mention, you have natural weight fluctuations that can mask scale losses...most people will fluctuate 3-5 Lbs from day to day. This is why a mere week or whatever is pretty much worthless in figuring out what's going on...this stuff takes time...you need time to accumulate data points for any kind of meaningful analysis.

Give it time and track the trends.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an underlying medical issue, if you aren't losing weight, you aren't in a caloric deficit. This is especially true at the beginning when it's easiest to lose weight because it's mostly water.

When you say that you "have not posted meals everyday" does that mean you aren't logging your food? If so, how do you really know you've stayed under 1800 calories?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It's most likely water retention, which could be caused by a number of reasons, e.g. from starting a new exercise regime, hormonal fluctuation, maybe you ate more salt than usual yesterday, etc. etc.

Give it a couple more weeks. If you still haven't lost any weight after that, then it may be time to check the accuracy of your logging.
  • Zuidz
    Zuidz Posts: 15
    Options
    One week isn't long enough.
  • Amianne
    Amianne Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You are most likely holding water because you started a new exercise program and your muscles are adapting. This is completely normal and should subside in a few weeks. Hang in there. You got this.

[/quote]

So is it possible to be drinking too much water?
  • fizzleh
    fizzleh Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Have you just started FocusT25? Are you getting enough protein? When you start a new regime it'll take your body time to adjust. The weight you gained will probably be muscle that you have gained in order to deal with FocusT25. Don't worry as it will settle and then your weight will start dropping again in a few weeks.
  • Amianne
    Options

Track everything you eat, otherwise you really have no clue what your intake was.

I would correct your logging inaccuracies and hope it is water retention.[/quote]

If I am eating at maintenance levels then why does MFP tell me to eat 2200 to lose 1 pound a week?
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Because you weren't in a Caloric Deficit ... even if you think you were.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I would correct your logging inaccuracies and hope it is water retention.
    If I am eating at maintenance levels then why does MFP tell me to eat 2200 to lose 1 pound a week?
    MFP tells you if you eat 2200 calories per day you'll lose one pound per week. If you aren't really eating 2200 calories or less you won't lose weight, you'll maintain or gain instead. If you aren't accurately weighing and measuring your food, and logging everything you eat, you might be actually eating more than that.
  • pittjenn
    pittjenn Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    MFP's estimates can be off.

Have you followed the nutrition program that comes with T25? If I recall correctly, it recommends about 1500 cals/day for most women. Or at least that's what it recommended for me. Since I'm really tall, I'd assume most other women fall between 1200 and 1500 cal/day on that program.

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    MFP tells you that you can have 2200 calories a day and you'll still lose a pound a week? How tall are you and what do you currently weigh? What did you select for your activity level? How much do you ultimately want to lose?

If you didn't lose, chances are that you are still taking in too many calories than you are expending... If you didn't track, how do you *know* that you were under? You need to be honest with yourself, because it's YOUR weight loss--you are not going to fool your own body.

I would suggest cutting your calorie intake (to what? Can't say without some idea of your current weight/age/height) and being more diligent about tracking every single day.
  • Amianne
    Options
    Thank you for your comments. I will keep trying and be extra sure that I am tracking correctly. I am just confused why it says if I eat a certain amount of calories that I should lose and I didn't lose.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If you're new to your exercise, you are going to retain fluids that can easily mask any fat loss you may have had. Not to mention, you have natural weight fluctuations that can mask scale losses...most people will fluctuate 3-5 Lbs from day to day. This is why a mere week or whatever is pretty much worthless in figuring out what's going on...this stuff takes time...you need time to accumulate data points for any kind of meaningful analysis.

Give it time and track the trends.

This. I used to weigh daily when I first started, and it was really brutal -- though I eventually began to recognize that while I fluctuated up and down a lot, it did trend downward. Now I only weigh-in every two weeks. It's long enough that I'm watching the trend rather than the day-to-day fluctuation, but not so long that things get away from me if I get a bit lax in my eating habits.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your comments. I will keep trying and be extra sure that I am tracking correctly. I am just confused why it says if I eat a certain amount of calories that I should lose and I didn't lose.

because you didn't track those calories or weigh them so you have no idea what amount you ate....
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options

Because you aren't eating the calories you think you are.