Sugar?

Options
According to my Food Diary, I am WAY over my recommended amount of sugar, consistently. Not just a little bit, we're talking at least 25 grams here. I know I could cut back and not have that 100 calorie cookie pack as my after dinner snack, but that's really the only sugar I see that could be taken out. The rest of it is trace amounts from carbs/beans, and then loads from fresh fruit.

Obviously I can't and won't stop eating fruit, but those sugars aren't added, so is that a problem?

In other words, if I'm eating too much sugar from fruit, will it be detrimental to my health?

Replies

• unanimously
    Options
    According to my Food Diary, I am WAY over my recommended amount of sugar, consistently. Not just a little bit, we're talking at least 25 grams here. I know I could cut back and not have that 100 calorie cookie pack as my after dinner snack, but that's really the only sugar I see that could be taken out. The rest of it is trace amounts from carbs/beans, and then loads from fresh fruit.

Obviously I can't and won't stop eating fruit, but those sugars aren't added, so is that a problem?

In other words, if I'm eating too much sugar from fruit, will it be detrimental to my health?

• jenrobi
    Options
    I don't think that should matter. I did the South Beach Diet for a long time. The diet says you should limit your sugar in everything, but I really only watched it in things like soda, candy, coffee. When it came to ketchup, fruits and things like milk, I didn't pay much attention. I still lost a lot of weight that way.

One rule of thumb, I've remembered is that if your sugar is coming from natural sources, then as long as it is a healthy moderation you should be okay.

It's the refined sugars they stress on reducing or eliminating.
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    I am not a dietician, but from all I have read - If it truly is sugar from fruit you should be okay. You may want to check how much comes from things like cereal, white bread and white pasta, etc. If there are alot of carbs from those sources you may want to cut back, or switch to whole grain types.
    Hope that helps!
  • unanimously
    Options
    Thanks for your quick responses! About 80% of my sugar is from fruit, so I guess I'm alright :wink:
  • lmichele22
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I know what you mean on the Sugars too, I love my fruits and and I love milk, I was drinking Shamrock 1 % milk and I can only consume 24 g of sugars daily and I'm always going over and I now switched to Shamrock Fat Free Plus and just 8 oz. of milk has 13 g of sugar and I love pears as my aftertoon snack, so i figure as long as its healthy I will go over, I'm always at 30 g to 40 grams by the end of my evening ! It's hard to stay within your means ! What to do ??? :noway:

96972.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Journal
  • Hanna1983
    Options
    I have a same/similar question...
    What is the recommended daily sugar intake in grams on here?
    I wanted to reduce my sugar intake and put it down to 20gr because I heard sugar is turned into fat...
    But no I dont remember what my original setting was. I am on 1300 calories per day and it works brilliant so far. I just always go over my sugar (not including fruit and milk because i think they are healthy sugars..) I feel very tired all the time, no matter how much I sleep recently. My boyfriend thinks my sugar intake is too low at 20gr. He showed me the package of some paste this morning where it says the recommended amount of sugar is 90gr per day. So I am 70gr below the recommended intake...?

Can someone help please?
    Thanks you! :flowerforyou:
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    Anything can turn to fat if you have too much in one sitting. What you are probably thinking of is refined sugars. Things like candy, white bread and pasta, etc. will flood your system with sugar and what your body cannot quickly process as energy will be stored as fat. Sugar from fruit is processed more slowly, so more of it is used as energy.
    But - If you binge on to much food at one time, be it carbs, protien or fat - your body will do the same thing. So the key is moderation and smaller portions. I always eat slowly and have dessert at least 30 minutes after my meal so my body will use more of the food for energy, and store less.
    If you are very tired all the time definitely eat more carbs.
    Good luck.