Why didn't I lose?

Options
2»

Replies

• Local_Atlantis
    Local_Atlantis Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Amianne wrote: »
    You are most likely holding water because you started a new exercise program and your muscles are adapting. This is completely normal and should subside in a few weeks. Hang in there. You got this.

So is it possible to be drinking too much water?[/quote]

No. Water retention is normal. It happens when muscles adapt to being used more than they're used to, and if you eat too much salt. Keep drinking loads of water. It would only be too much if you were drinking gallons in one day!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing or measuring all of your food? To be reasonably accurate you need to do this and log everything you eat otherwise it's just guesswork and research has pretty clearly established that when self-reporting we have a tendency to underestimate our caloric intake (inaccurate portion sizes).

Like others have also suggested, give it a little more time too. Weight loss is not linear.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Weigh and measure your food!!! That's the ONLY way you can be sure that what you are logging is accurate. Buy a food scale if you don't already have one.

AND LOG EVERYTHING YOU EAT. I would be willing to bet your food intake was a lot higher than you think it was.
  • Amianne
    Amianne Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    MFP tells you that you can have 2200 calories a day and you'll still lose a pound a week? How tall are you and what do you currently weigh? What did you select for your activity level? How much do you ultimately want to lose?

If you didn't lose, chances are that you are still taking in too many calories than you are expending... If you didn't track, how do you *know* that you were under? You need to be honest with yourself, because it's YOUR weight loss--you are not going to fool your own body.

I would suggest cutting your calorie intake (to what? Can't say without some idea of your current weight/age/height) and being more diligent about tracking every single day.

I am 5'10" and weigh 280. When I didn't track I pretty much the same things as the other days. I do understand that I need to track everyday to keep it right. I am trying to better with that.
  • Amianne
    Options
    gramarye wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If you're new to your exercise, you are going to retain fluids that can easily mask any fat loss you may have had. Not to mention, you have natural weight fluctuations that can mask scale losses...most people will fluctuate 3-5 Lbs from day to day. This is why a mere week or whatever is pretty much worthless in figuring out what's going on...this stuff takes time...you need time to accumulate data points for any kind of meaningful analysis.

Give it time and track the trends.

This. I used to weigh daily when I first started, and it was really brutal -- though I eventually began to recognize that while I fluctuated up and down a lot, it did trend downward. Now I only weigh-in every two weeks. It's long enough that I'm watching the trend rather than the day-to-day fluctuation, but not so long that things get away from me if I get a bit lax in my eating habits.

I weigh in once a week. I used to do it every day but that was discouraging so now I am only doing it once a week
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    MFP tells you that you can have 2200 calories a day and you'll still lose a pound a week? How tall are you and what do you currently weigh? What did you select for your activity level? How much do you ultimately want to lose?

If you didn't lose, chances are that you are still taking in too many calories than you are expending... If you didn't track, how do you *know* that you were under? You need to be honest with yourself, because it's YOUR weight loss--you are not going to fool your own body.

I would suggest cutting your calorie intake (to what? Can't say without some idea of your current weight/age/height) and being more diligent about tracking every single day.

I am 5'10" and weigh 280. When I didn't track I pretty much the same things as the other days. I do understand that I need to track everyday to keep it right. I am trying to better with that.
    That's a good start. Are you also weighing your food? I can't see your diary to be sure, but it's hard to be accurate if you're using the entries like "medium banana" or using someone else's entry for a meal that may be made using different ingredients than your meal.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your comments. I will keep trying and be extra sure that I am tracking correctly. I am just confused why it says if I eat a certain amount of calories that I should lose and I didn't lose.

Because weight loss isn't linear. I ate under my goal every day this week and yet this morning I'm up three pounds from last Wednesday. There are a number of factors that can make it look like you aren't losing. If you tighten up your logging and stick with everything, you'll see it start to come off.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    1. To get a true calculation of weight don't just weigh once a day. We can fluctuate by a pound or more on a daily basis. Weigh in every day and average your weight at the end of the week. It provides a much more accurate scale than a once a week deal. Also weigh yourself right after your morning pee and before you eat/drink anything. You're at your lightest then.

2. A single week is never an accurate measurement of weight gain or loss. Your body goes through various changes all the time. Women more so than men (partly due to women stuff, but you fluctuate more without "women stuff" as well), but we all do. It takes about 30 days to really gauge what direction you're headed.

3. Are you really tracking accurately? Are you measuring all your food? Bro, do you even food scale? Probably not and it probably shows in your tracking. Get 100% accurate.

4. Don't change anything yet and don't give up. Weight loss and/or muscle gain is a long process. Stick with it.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You say you gained ".4" pounds. Is that really 0.4 lbs? As in 6 ounces?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

That's only about 12 lbs more than what I started at. I have my daily calorie goal set at 1600, which is supposed to let me lose at two lbs a week. I would recommend setting your goal lower.
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I have been eating fewer than 2000 calories for this last week (which MFP says I should eat to lose 1.5lbs per week), averaging about 1800. Although I have not posted meals everyday I have kept it under this. I have really tried hard. I have also been doing FocusT25. At weigh in today I gained .4 lbs. I have not eaten back my exercise calories. With everything that MFP says when I am done posting for my day, I should have lost weight. Any suggestions?

OP...I'm going to tell you what happened to me. I had MFP set up to lose 1lb a week (1750 cals per day). I purchased T25, and took their little quiz and they told me I should eat 1600 cals per week. So for the first month while doing the alpha phase of T25, i stuck to the 1600-ignoring what MFP said, hoping to see a loss. Each week I either remained the same or gained. I have a food scale that I use, and I measured everything, working out..was totally expecting a loss. I reached out to a few people on MFP here, trying to figure out what was wrong. Now mind you. I sit at a computer all day, but once I'm off work I'm constantly on the move, I'll go for a walk, laundry, up and down stairs, cleaning, chasing after the kids, so fairly busy. That month I was eating at 1600--I was all out crabby. These wonderful people told me I needed to eat more. So I trusted them. The next month while doing Beta, I ate at 1850-2100 cals per day. Figuring with my activity, my maintenance was at 2400. Low and behold, the scale moved. Lost 4lbs that month. If I would have initially stuck to what MFP said to eat 1720 plus eat back my exercise calories I probably would have lost that first month....but lesson learned. Eating at 1600 a day was way too big of a deficit. And....like others have said, you body need time to adjust to this new work out. Have you lost any inches? You should be checking that too. I lost 18inches all over and 8lbs with T25.

• astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I started at 240lbs, have an office job and MFP told me that 2200 was my maintenance amount. I put in sedentary and then log my exercise. 2200 sounds like a lot to me. Are you female? That doesn't sound right.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    If MFP gave you 2000 calories to lose 1.5lbs a week, that mean that your maintenance is 2750 calories per day BEFORE exercise is even added in. Again, that doesn't sound right. If it did then I'd never have gotten fat in the first place!
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Either you're eating more than you think you are or you're not burning what you think you are (as MFP tends to grossly over estimate calorie burns) or perhaps, and more likely, a combination of both.
  • Amianne
    Options
    I have been eating fewer than 2000 calories for this last week (which MFP says I should eat to lose 1.5lbs per week), averaging about 1800. Although I have not posted meals everyday I have kept it under this. I have really tried hard. I have also been doing FocusT25. At weigh in today I gained .4 lbs. I have not eaten back my exercise calories. With everything that MFP says when I am done posting for my day, I should have lost weight. Any suggestions?

OP...I'm going to tell you what happened to me. I had MFP set up to lose 1lb a week (1750 cals per day). I purchased T25, and took their little quiz and they told me I should eat 1600 cals per week. So for the first month while doing the alpha phase of T25, i stuck to the 1600-ignoring what MFP said, hoping to see a loss. Each week I either remained the same or gained. I have a food scale that I use, and I measured everything, working out..was totally expecting a loss. I reached out to a few people on MFP here, trying to figure out what was wrong. Now mind you. I sit at a computer all day, but once I'm off work I'm constantly on the move, I'll go for a walk, laundry, up and down stairs, cleaning, chasing after the kids, so fairly busy. That month I was eating at 1600--I was all out crabby. These wonderful people told me I needed to eat more. So I trusted them. The next month while doing Beta, I ate at 1850-2100 cals per day. Figuring with my activity, my maintenance was at 2400. Low and behold, the scale moved. Lost 4lbs that month. If I would have initially stuck to what MFP said to eat 1720 plus eat back my exercise calories I probably would have lost that first month....but lesson learned. Eating at 1600 a day was way too big of a deficit. And....like others have said, you body need time to adjust to this new work out. Have you lost any inches? You should be checking that too. I lost 18inches all over and 8lbs with T25.

I do lose inches slowly. I will go back in and find my maintenance again. I am hoping I will see a drop soon. I read what people on here are saying so I lowered my goal to 1600 cals per day. I know I need to watch the sodium intake too.
    Thanks for your advice.