Week 2 curse?

Options
Growing up I watched A LOT of the Biggest Loser. In that show they have what they call the Week 2 curse where contestants may not lose anything or may actually gain weight, despite how hard they've been working. I've just hit week two of my own weight loss journey and I'm wondering if this is a real thing you've seen.
Should I be expected to not see great results this week? I just don't want to be disappointed when I weigh in at the end of the week.

Replies

• mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I think I get the week 2 curse every 3 months. lol It happens and they key is to not give up and you will see results. If I loose 1 pound only in a month, I use it as motivation for next month. I am sure you heard this before: “Life is not a sprint; it’s a marathon.” :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I have never seen the Biggest Loser, but this may refer to water retention from new workouts. I typically gain a few lbs if I start a new workout or up the intensity because of water retention.

But honestly I've never been that heavy so the folks on that show may have something else going on.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Normal body fluctuations such as stress, exercise, water retention from sodium or new exercise, bowels, TOM, etc. will affect the rate at which your body burns fat from week to week. It will not be the same for most people. Since you have loss weight prior to this week then continue as you were and give your body the time it needs to do its job.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You should expect fluctuations, period. Some people are lucky and lose at a nice consistent rate but most of us see ups and downs on a constant basis. This is all affected by what we eat and drink, our exercise routine and hormonal fluctions. As I'm sure you've heard/read, the scale does lie sometimes.

I'd highly recommend measuring your success in other ways. Take body measurements, pay attention to how your clothes are fitting and take progres pictures. Also set more goals around things you can control like healthier eating and fitness