5k Saturday!!

Options
Hey everyone!!

I am running my very first 5k EVER this Saturday! I am just looking for some helpful hints for tomorrow, the morning of the race, and at the race! Any advice will be helpful! I am not sure really what to expect, except to run 5k. Lol!

Thanks!

Replies

• Flocker1979
    Flocker1979 Posts: 96
    Options
    Good luck! I'm training for my first, too! :flowerforyou:
  • cls0824
    cls0824 Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm planning on running my first 5k next Spring. I'm focusing on weight loss before I focus on the 5k. I'd love to hear how it goes.
  • johannahooks
    Options
    Get plenty of sleep the night before. Drink plenty of water the day before, and the morning of. Eat what you normally eat for breakfast before running.

And most of all...HAVE FUN!!
  • leamgood
    leamgood Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Don't start out too fast. A lot of people will take off at the starting line then be wiped out half way through. Just keep a nice steady pace. I also would not recommend eating a huge breakfast the morning of. If you do make sure it is AT LEAST an hour before the start of the race. I always eat a piece of fruit and maybe a bagel. Good luck!!! You will do great!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    5K is a nice distance. Try not to get wound up in everyone elses pace, it is easy to do. Concentrate on your own pace and relax.

Most new runners try to keep up with the front of the pack, blow up their pace and then burn out 1-2 km in. They consume all of their energy up front and then fade really significantly. If you do manage your pace right, you'll end up passing many of these people in short order anyways.

Other than that... not much else to say.

Take it easy! And enjoy the race.
  • LettyGates
    LettyGates Posts: 11
    Options
    Hydrate, carbs for dinner, and a good mixture of protien and carbs for breakfast. Make sure you eat an hour or so before you begin your 5K. I'll be running in the "race for a cure" Saturday...good luck with yours:)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    But not TOOOO much water the morning of. A full bladder is not fun when running. :wink:

The hardest part for me is feeling parched when I run. I've found grapes to be the perfect solution. Easy to carry along in a pouch, and easier to eat than water is to drink. (I got a drink at the water station on my last race, and ended up spilling most of it down my shirt! :laugh: ) I've also tried jelly beans and fruity Tootsie Rolls, but grapes work best for me. I pop one every two songs on the MP3 player, which is about every half mile.

Good luck and be sure to post about it when you're done!
  • SammyLynn010
    SammyLynn010 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Hydrate, carbs for dinner, and a good mixture of protien and carbs for breakfast. Make sure you eat an hour or so before you begin your 5K. I'll be running in the "race for a cure" Saturday...good luck with yours:)

I am also running "the race for the cure" ... how cool! Thanks for the tips!
  • SammyLynn010
    Options
    But not TOOOO much water the morning of. A full bladder is not fun when running. :wink:

The hardest part for me is feeling parched when I run. I've found grapes to be the perfect solution. Easy to carry along in a pouch, and easier to eat than water is to drink. (I got a drink at the water station on my last race, and ended up spilling most of it down my shirt! :laugh: ) I've also tried jelly beans and fruity Tootsie Rolls, but grapes work best for me. I pop one every two songs on the MP3 player, which is about every half mile.

Good luck and be sure to post about it when you're done!

I chew gum when I run so maybe that keeps me going! =)
  • SammyLynn010
    Options
    5K is a nice distance. Try not to get wound up in everyone elses pace, it is easy to do. Concentrate on your own pace and relax.

Most new runners try to keep up with the front of the pack, blow up their pace and then burn out 1-2 km in. They consume all of their energy up front and then fade really significantly. If you do manage your pace right, you'll end up passing many of these people in short order anyways.

Awesome advice!!

Someone told me if is going to be difficult to hit my pace at first because of the crowd. Is that typical?
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options

Awesome advice!!

Someone told me if is going to be difficult to hit my pace at first because of the crowd. Is that typical?

Yes it is typical. I ran a half marathon last weekend, it took me almost 10 minutes for it to open up enough to hit my pace.

5K is usually not too bad though. I usually prefer starting at the back of the pack as it tends to be less congested. The fastest runners are out of the way early that way.