Friends birthday - I'm conflicted!

Options
Today is my dear friends' birthday and she is ordering take-out for it.

I'm not on a diet as I plan to make a lifelong commitment to healthier eating. Therefore I haven't given up any particular food although obviously I am making a conscious effort to eat healthy food (as I don't just want to lose weight quickly but sensibly!) and have been avoiding take-outs. I have been working hard at not exceeding my calories and therefore have chosen the healthier option opposed to unhealthy and calorie high food.

I'm not sure if I should order take-out or not and wanted some advice. I did consider maybe getting a side dish but the dishes are also high in calories for something smaller and probably less filling than a meal I could make myself. I know this is ultimately my decision and I'm also aware that I could go over my calories as a one off (but this doesn't really appeal to me considering as I am actively trying to lose weight at the moment) but just wanted to know if anyone out there had had these sort of issues before and could maybe make some suggestions of what to do.

Thanks a lot!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I eat out a lot and can nearly always find something on the menu that is within my calorie budget. Once in a great while we will be ordering for an office lunch and the majority will pick a place that is difficult for me to find something that I am willing to spend calories on and I skip it. But most of the time, I don't.

That being said, where will the take-out be from? Can you find an online menu to look over to see if anything appeals to you?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    As you have already established, this is a lifelong commitment. Therefore you will often be faced with these kinds of situation along the way and learning how to incorporate the food into your diet and still enjoy the social side of eating together to celebrate special occasions is important.

What type of take-out is she ordering? There are usually healthier choices you can make. Alternatively you could enjoy what you like and perhaps add in a bit more exercise tomorrow.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I do takeout all the time and just count it in. Either I get a big salad, usually with a protein (I mean most places offer grilled chicken salad and so on), or I get the true junk, limit it to however many calories I have for that meal and just make a salad to fill it out. :)
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    There isn't anything wrong with eating take out. The key is to fit the calories into your calories budget. I celebrate a lot with my family and love my booze but do not allow it to prevent me from losing weight because I plan for those occasions well in advance.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    If she is ordering from a restaurant that has published calorie values, look it up ahead of time and order accordingly. Otherwise, order to celebrate with her but eat only a small portion and "save the rest for later"
  • angelinhell
    angelinhell Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have been on and off diets for YEARS and still never got to my goal and i am sick of spending special occasions not drinking and counting calories. If it is something that is done only once in a while, just ruddy enjoy yourself! Life's too short! And you'll struggle to make this a change for life if you feel too restricted. As Karen said, have what you fancy and do some more exercise.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    toriilana wrote: »
    Today is my dear friends' birthday and she is ordering take-out for it.

I'm not on a diet as I plan to make a lifelong commitment to healthier eating. Therefore I haven't given up any particular food although obviously I am making a conscious effort to eat healthy food (as I don't just want to lose weight quickly but sensibly!) and have been avoiding take-outs. I have been working hard at not exceeding my calories and therefore have chosen the healthier option opposed to unhealthy and calorie high food.

I'm not sure if I should order take-out or not and wanted some advice. I did consider maybe getting a side dish but the dishes are also high in calories for something smaller and probably less filling than a meal I could make myself. I know this is ultimately my decision and I'm also aware that I could go over my calories as a one off (but this doesn't really appeal to me considering as I am actively trying to lose weight at the moment) but just wanted to know if anyone out there had had these sort of issues before and could maybe make some suggestions of what to do.

Thanks a lot!
    It's not about eating healthy or unhealthy when it comes to weight loss, it's about calorie goals. Just because something is take-out does not mean it's unhealthy.

Personally, I'd do whatever my friend wanted for her birthday, but I would eat in moderation. You can save the rest of your meal for another day!
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I think it's super important to continue participating in life and celebrations. You have to learn to work these things into your dietary goals or you end up missing out on life and fun with friends and family. My suggestion is to look up their nutrition online (or find a very similar place if theirs isn't available) and make the best decision you can. Do they at least have some kind of salad and a vinaigrette dressing? Maybe a grilled chicken or even a burger that you could order without mayo/ take off the bun/ etc to reduce calories? What about soup or chili? If you order something that isn't a creamy soup or leave the cheese off the chili, it's really not high calorie. Baked potato with just a dollop of sour cream or butter? I find that even at the most high calorie places, there is always a way if you are willing to make it work.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If it is Chinese, order Won Ton Soup. Pizza, thin crust and decide ahead of time how many slices you are taking. Chicken, see if there is a grilled option or discard that delicious crispy topping.
  • alyci
    alyci Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I would order something and eat only part of it as most take out gives more than a serving of food. Enjoy the celebrations within moderation.
  • toriilana
    toriilana Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hello! Thanks for all the replies so quickly.
    She wants to get take-out from dominoes and I have had a quick look through the menu online. The pizza's are quite high in calories but I could potentially get a small (I have enough calories for one) or get a pizza and then spread it between today and tomorrow and eat it with salad tonight.

I'm sure it seems silly being so conflicted over take-out. Part of the problem is that because I'm just now conscious of eating well and not exceeding calorie intake - I haven't always been that way! Part of the reason I'm losing weight now is because as a student there are times when I have ordered take-out as the quicker option and relied upon unhealthy food to fuel me when I got busy. I'm sick of having a body I am ashamed of which is exactly why I am working so hard to change my attitude to food. I respect that this will happen a lot (as it's not a diet I shouldn't have to always say no), I'm just struggling a little because I don't want to fall off the wagon and end up buying a pizza, sides, fizzy drink and chocolate pudding. I think I need more confidence in myself - this is kind of the first real 'challenge' since I've started eating better. It's almost like a temptation that I'm scared off but at the same time if I want this to be a lifelong change then I know it's better to face these temptations but by being sensible and limiting what I buy opposed to outright banning myself.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Ack, well, Domino's. I have to admit I'd skip that one. They don't have any salads on the menu or else I'd recommend telling her you'd split the cost of pizza, have a slice, and then have a big salad.
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    toriilana wrote: »
    Hello! Thanks for all the replies so quickly.
    She wants to get take-out from dominoes and I have had a quick look through the menu online. The pizza's are quite high in calories but I could potentially get a small (I have enough calories for one) or get a pizza and then spread it between today and tomorrow and eat it with salad tonight.

I'm sure it seems silly being so conflicted over take-out. Part of the problem is that because I'm just now conscious of eating well and not exceeding calorie intake - I haven't always been that way! Part of the reason I'm losing weight now is because as a student there are times when I have ordered take-out as the quicker option and relied upon unhealthy food to fuel me when I got busy. I'm sick of having a body I am ashamed of which is exactly why I am working so hard to change my attitude to food. I respect that this will happen a lot (as it's not a diet I shouldn't have to always say no), I'm just struggling a little because I don't want to fall off the wagon and end up buying a pizza, sides, fizzy drink and chocolate pudding. I think I need more confidence in myself - this is kind of the first real 'challenge' since I've started eating better. It's almost like a temptation that I'm scared off but at the same time if I want this to be a lifelong change then I know it's better to face these temptations but by being sensible and limiting what I buy opposed to outright banning myself.

The hard part isn't so much finding the healthier options as it is making yourself get them instead of what you really want! I think it's a good idea to kind of split the difference - make sure you get some of what you really want, but fill out the rest of the meal with veggies or fruit. Can you order a small pizza with someone else and split it? Then you could eat just a couple of slices of pizza and have a salad or fruit or something to fill you up.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Order something and then eat half of it. Most places give you 2-4 servings of food.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    As others have said, make it work. I think your idea of getting a pizza and spreading it out between today & tomorrow is a great idea.

For me personally the idea of getting just a salad when I dine out is simply awful (partly psychological thing...I don't hate salads). I'm usually the type who will eat a tiny yet healthy breakfast and lunch so I can have a big indulgent dinner, or vice versa (to have a takeout lunch for example).
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    It makes it hard for me when it is take out that, for my taste, is not "worth it". Domino's falls in that category for me! But, it is a birthday celebration and it is the other person's choice, so just have a little bit and like you suggested, spread it out over a couple of days. Or just have one serving and offer the rest to someone else at the celebration who enjoys Domino's.
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    i managed 3 slices of stuffed crust pepperoni passion from dominos this week, and just fit it into my calories with a bit of exercise and eating lighter for breakfast and lunch. i also managed a snickers bar yesterday. on neither day did i go over my calories. you can totally work it in - if you are serious about committing to a lifestyle change rather than a diet, find ways to work these things in and enjoy them! i know i wouldn't want to live a life without cake and takeaways.
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    https://order.dominos.com/en/pages/content/nutritional/lighter-options.jsp

Some "lighter" options they offer, or you could get a side of their hot wings, which is what I usually go for (yum!) 200 cals

Have fun!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    These threads make me sad when I see them. Weight loss should be about getting healthier and happier and more able to embrace and enjoy life with the people you love and care about. It shouldn't turn happy occasions and celebrations into stressful situations.

And yet, all too often, people think that if they're trying to lose weight, they have to deny themselves the people and things and occasions that they used to enjoy.

Just go, have fun, eat whatever you like but less of it. Any food can be enjoyed within your day's calorie allowance, just in smaller amounts. If you don't exactly meet your macros for one day, it doesn't matter.

Life is NOT designed to be lived in a sterile, controlled lab-like environment.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    toriilana wrote:
    I don't want to fall off the wagon and end up buying a pizza, sides, fizzy drink and chocolate pudding.
    So just get the pizza, or a pizza & diet drink.
    The thin crust pizza has fewer calories.
    A veggie pizza has fewer calories than one with sausage or pepperoni or extra cheese.
    But if you want an everything pizza with thick crust, get that & enjoy it. Just fit it into your calories for the day.

The point of learning to eat healthier is not to be perfect all the time, or miserable (but I repeat myself), but rather to do well most of the time (80%) and be flexible the rest of the time (20%).
    Have what you like, in reasonable portions, and enjoy it.
    If you do go overboard, log it, figure out how you can make better choices next time, and move on.

51637601.png