Not losing weight on paleo, expert help?

Options
Hello!

I was hoping that some experts in paleo could help me. My husband and I started paleo about 2 weeks ago with some trial and error within the first week or so. He is doing great on it and has lost about 12 pounds. Me on the other hand, nada. We started with using a ninja blender to make smoothies with lots of fruits and vegetables every morning. Not losing weight, I stopped drinking the smoothies due to me reading to omit fruits if you're not losing weight. The last couple days have been dreadful...no fruit leaves me with an adkins (low carb) diet. Boring and hard to stay on. I have not cheated (on purpose) although like I said the first week we did make some mistakes as we were learning (not many). But all in all we have cut all cheese, grains, breads, etc. I have had no junk for 2 weeks! Also, due to not losing weight I have been watching calories for the last 3 days. I actually gained a pound and a half since doing this. I have to be doing something wrong, but don't have a clue what it is. Any ideas? My goal is to lose 30 pounds, but not off to a good start, seeing that I have thrown 2 weeks down the drain. Suggestions and advice would be more than appreciated!! :)

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site :) If you look up under groups section you'll find some Paleo groups and I'm sure they'll be able to help you out. I'm not as familiar with it as they would be. :)
  • jmauerhan
    jmauerhan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Log your food and count the actual calories. Just eating a specific type of food does not make you lose weight.
  • primalsarah
    primalsarah Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would say give it some time! The first time I did a sort of strict paleo/whole30 was for 60 days in 2012. I didn't count calories back then-- the reason I loved it so much was you can have freedom within the restrictions of paleo. I lost about 10 pound over those 2 months. Now I'm back at it with a better mindset and waiting to lose then maintain. Here are some of my tips:
    -make sure you're eating enough at each meal.
    -go for lower carb fruit such as berries as a treat with maybe 1-2 of your meals. you're right that smoothies can be pretty carb heavy.
    -but, remember your good carbs like sweet potatos- they can fuel your workouts.
    -don't rely too much on nuts! they add up so easily.
    -i found it took a while (after the 1st month) for my body to feel the effects of going grain free. after 1 month i could notice a huge difference in the flatness of my tummy. if you were eating breads, rice before, you need something like 2.5 weeks for those to leave your system!

hope this helps. adding in some exercise will help too! i truly believe in eating this way! stick with it, try some different things (like smoothies, no smoothies :smile: ) and I'm sure you'll see some results.
  • brookie2983
    brookie2983 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I would say give it some time! The first time I did a sort of strict paleo/whole30 was for 60 days in 2012. I didn't count calories back then-- the reason I loved it so much was you can have freedom within the restrictions of paleo. I lost about 10 pound over those 2 months. Now I'm back at it with a better mindset and waiting to lose then maintain. Here are some of my tips:
    -make sure you're eating enough at each meal.
    -go for lower carb fruit such as berries as a treat with maybe 1-2 of your meals. you're right that smoothies can be pretty carb heavy.
    -but, remember your good carbs like sweet potatos- they can fuel your workouts.
    -don't rely too much on nuts! they add up so easily.
    -i found it took a while (after the 1st month) for my body to feel the effects of going grain free. after 1 month i could notice a huge difference in the flatness of my tummy. if you were eating breads, rice before, you need something like 2.5 weeks for those to leave your system!

hope this helps. adding in some exercise will help too! i truly believe in eating this way! stick with it, try some different things (like smoothies, no smoothies :smile: ) and I'm sure you'll see some results.

Thank you!