I quite literally cannot lose weight

Options
goldfish29
goldfish29 Posts: 44 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm about to have a breakdown. I'll try to keep this as brief as possible. I don't even know what I need but I just need to get this out.

In 2013 I was in the best shape of my entire life. Not only was the number on the scale the lowest it had been in my adult life, I was also fit and strong. I had finally nailed it down, gotten into a routine, found what worked and what I enjoyed and then in fall 2013 - I tore my rotator cuff.

I couldn't work out for over 6 months. Well I should say I could no longer lift heavy. I could barely wash my hair! The first 3 months after my injury I gained 20lbs. WTF. My exercise was nearly at a halt though I tried keeping up with cardio, it was hard. I hate cardio. A lot. My eating slipped and boom +20lbs. I'll own it, I used my injury as excuse to get lazy.

Moving on - I graduated from physical therapy and decided these 20lbs needed to come off asap! I got right back on plan, eased into my lifting but kept up on cardio (groan) and became meticulous with my eating (I prefer TDEE method). Like I had done before and been very successful at.

Well it's been 8 months and guess what? I've gained another 10!

Lift heavy? Doing it.
Give it time? Um....it's been 8 months.
Eat less? Tried it.
Eat more? Tried it.
Weigh everything? I do.
MFP over estimates calories burned - I wear a HRM
Take measurements and don't focus on the scale - 0 inches lost.
Eat back exercise calories? I have
Don't eat back exercise calories? Tried that too.
Change up your workouts? Yep. Still failing.
Try W30? Oh yeah, tried that too and guess what? 0lbs lost. That was miserable.
Personal trainer? Been there. Done that.

Get thee to a doctor? YES!

So about that doctor. This past summer I went to my yearly woman's exam and almost immediately she expressed concern over my weight gain. Also, during this time my period has completely stopped. I haven't had it in 8 months and I'm not pregnant! She ran thyroid labs and my TSH came back elevated. OMG, could this be my problem?

Fast forward and I've been to an endocrinologist. She was quite alarmed at my weight gain in such a short time as well. All the fancy and in depth labs have come back normal. My TSH fluctuates but is usually "normal". All the antibodies were also normal. She ran several other hormone labs checking for early menopause (I'm only 31) and other various diseases. I'm perfectly normal.

BUT I'M NOT - I'm the largest I've ever been in my entire life. This weight just piled on me (see above). I had to buy an entire new wardrobe of clothing, I can't wear my wedding rings anymore and haven't for nearly the past year.

My fitness and stamina has improved quite a bit but I haven't lost anything and I haven't lost any inches. MATHEMATICALLY it does not make sense. I am up to 2 hour per day workouts 5 days per week and still being METICULOUS with my eating. Still nothing.

So do I just need to accept that I've permanently gained this 30lbs? To put so much effort into something and never get any results is quite defeating. This 30lbs that makes me the largest I've ever been, alarms my doctors, gives me an overweight BMI, forces me to buy all new clothing and resize my wedding rings? I'm unhappy and most of all uncomfortable :(

I'm also awaiting an appt with another endocrinologist for a 2nd opinion.

Has anyone ever been here before?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tested to see if the weight is fat? I mean, did you actually gain that much fat or is it mostly water retention? People typically think of water retention as a couple of lbs, but it can be quite significant due to medications, disease, allergies, intollerances, etc.

It's unfortunate that they've not yet found a diagnosis, but hopefully they will soon. I'd hang onto those smaller clothes. Once they diagnose the cause, the weight may be lost as quickly as it was gained. Hang in there!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You said eat "less," but are you actually counting your calories? Weighing and measuring? You said you're meticulous, but in what way? Do you know how many cals you need a day to lose?

I am so sorry to hear about your injury. That is rough. Hang in there.
  • Vananners
    Options
    Have you had your hormones tested for PCOS? The symptoms of it closely mimic thyroid disease.
  • blbst36
    blbst36 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Vananners wrote: »
    Have you had your hormones tested for PCOS? The symptoms of it closely mimic thyroid disease.

^^ This. Ask your endocrinologist about it. It is harder to diagnose because you can't run tests for it specifically, you have to kind of eliminate everything else.
  • goldfish29
    Options
    Need2Exerc1se - I've never been tested to see if it's actual fat. I'm guessing at least part of it is but some could be water retention.

LAWoman72 - Yes I weigh and measure all my food. Right now I'm on the 20% less than TDEE plan 1800 cals per day. I did drop to 1200 for a brief time of torture just to try it out. After 3 weeks and 0 pounds lost I gave that up. Miserable.

Vananners - I'm not sure which labs specifically look for PCOS but I've had a lot of hormone labs. I'll do some research to see what they test for and look at my lab work to see if I've had those.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Surely an ovary scan would help towards a diagnosis of PCOS
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    'K sweetie. So 1800 cals...how tall are you? Your age (sorry to get personal)? Do you consider yourself sedentary right now (due to your injury)?
  • AbnormalSymmetry
    AbnormalSymmetry Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    no test for PCOS its more of elimination game
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

You wouldn't think it, but you can have PCOS without actually having polycystic ovaries - it's the hormonal profile, in some people. But yes, good to do
  • LAWoman72
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Also, you say 1200 cals was torture. I thought 1400-1600 was torture when I went from Atkins to controlling calories. I mean even that felt like too little. Then one day I said "enough" and got on MFP and did my calculations. I got roughly 1400 at that time (weight: 220). For the first two weeks I was very hungry. But then all of a sudden, I realized: it wasn't too little, really. I was just used to eating so much more.

I started eating more slowly and truly savoring every bite. Not with moans and eyes rolling back in my head or anything...just actually NOTICING what I ate. Really tasting it. And I suddenly realized that the calories I had on my plate were a lot of bites.

Now my meals don't feel too little at all, and due to weight loss, my cals are about 1360/day at my current weight.

It may just take some getting used to.

Re: PCOS - aren't there usually symptoms? I realize everyone is different and I'm sure not every woman will have every symptom, but don't symptoms include excess body hair, dark skin patches, skin tags, menstrual issues...? ETA: Oh, sorry...I see the OP's period stopped at one point.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS using a combination of lab work and ultrasounds. They check your follicles to see how many eggs your ovaries are developing and what stage they are at. Basically with PCOS your ovaries just never release the eggs and the follicle turns into a cyst on your ovary that can rupture (quite painfully I might add).

Go to a gynecologist that specializes in fertility issues. And Yes go get a second endo opinion. Good luck!
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience and turned out that I have PCOS. I can go a year + without a period. I gain weight like crazy despite working out and eating extremely healthy. I was put on metformin and it completely changed everything! The weight started coming off for the first time ever!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Also, during this time my period has completely stopped.

Something's up. I can't guess what it is, but I hope you get it figured out very soon.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tested to see if the weight is fat? I mean, did you actually gain that much fat or is it mostly water retention? People typically think of water retention as a couple of lbs, but it can be quite significant due to medications, disease, allergies, intollerances, etc.

THIS!!! I know that some of the excess weight I have is fat, but A LOT of it is fluid retention. My dad has the same issue. For him, it's a diagnosed autoimmune disorder...for me, no diagnosis at this point (just treating the symptoms). You may want to try some non-traditional practitioners--that's the only way I've had any success. My applied kineseologist (she does muscle testing) is a lifesaver!
  • goldfish29
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'll have to look into PCOS more and bring it up with the new endo when I see them. My periods have completely stopped so I guess it is a possibility. I had never really considered this before so thank you for sharing info on it. At this point I feel like it has to be medically related. It certainly isn't from a lack of knowledge in eating right or effort. I've been very successful in the past.

I am not sedentary anymore. I'm a year out from my injury and am back to 100%. I workout roughly 10 hours per week. 5 of those are very light workouts (yoga/pilates) and the other 5 is a mix of heavy lifting or a RIPPED, Combat or step class.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
  • Ainesilver
    Ainesilver Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You mentioned your TSH levels are fluctuating. That might be impacting your ability to lose weight. Here is an article that deals with why they may be fluctuating. http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/tsh-fluctuating.htm
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Have you tried playing with your macro splits? Especially if you have PCOS or symptoms similar to it, this will mimic diabetes and insulin resistance. Try lowering the carbs to no more than 35% and try eating 1/3,1/3,1/3, at each meal (carbs/fats/proteins). It helped me and I'm pre-diabetic but I've heard that PCOS mimics this as well.
  • blbst36
    blbst36 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Not necessarily. Polycystic ovaries do not mean a diagnosis of PCOS. I have it, but do not have cysts. It is one of the frustrating things about this syndrome. The name is very misleading.
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    no test for PCOS its more of elimination game

This. They can do an ultrasound on the ovaries but it is not 100% conclusive if they don't see anything. There are usually other symptoms than just stubborn weight loss though. Fatigue, excess hair growth, insulin resistance, and random or nonexistent menstruation (which I see the OP may have) are the most common. Sometimes blood pressure and cholesterol start to go up as well.

OP, this is probably a dumb question since I'm sure your gyno thought of it, but have you taken a pregnancy test?

So, on TDEE you would be eating 1800 calories every single day no matter what your exercise plan? I'm wondering if herrspoons suggestions might not be the most helpful. If you go back to absolute calorie levels and then add in your exercise calories, I think you will be getting a better picture of what you should really be eating from day to day. I also think that dropping the exercise levels is wise. I know there is a lot of controversy on the topic, but there are people out there who believe that over-exercising while over-restricting calories can be a huge culprit it slowing weight loss. Partly because it may slow the metabolism a bit, but also because it tends to put us in a frame of mind to find ways to eat over goal even when we think we aren't.