Yoga and Flexibility

Options
Hello!

I see a lot of posts around here on lifting, running, and cardio, but was unable to find much advice on flexibility.

So here is a bit of background information – I started yoga at the same time of my weight loss journey to improve some back pain, and ended up loving it for more philosophical reasons.

Biggest issue though – I am ridiculously stiff in my hamstrings and back. Basically, I have been unable to touch my toes since my teens. No, really.

Here is the thing – I have no clue how to fix it, nor what to use as a measure of whether I am making good progress or not. When working out, I start seeing progress almost immediately and significant progress within a couple of weeks. I can base myself on how my muscles feel after a workout to know if I did well. With flexibility, I feel like I am constantly stuck.

So here are my questions – How long does it take to see improvement in flexibility? How to best train flexibility? Anyone who has experience with being really stiff and getting real flexible?

Thanks to y'all!

Replies

• EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    keep doing yoga, your muscles will eventually start to relax and your flexibility will improve. I've noticed it took me about a month to start seeing small changes, like I can bend a little more and my knees don't ache as much.
  • dizzzigrl
    dizzzigrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am a yoga addict. How often do you practice yoga or stretch? I do it for about an hour ALMOST every day, and I noticed a difference within a month or so. I could hold poses longer, or reach a little further, but it definitely wasn't right away.
    My daughter was a competitive cheerleader and now cheers in college, and hamstring and back flexibility is very important - but even with those girls over stretching, it takes them quite a while to see any improvement (if ever).
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I cycle a lot and get tight hips and hamstrings. This workout is a great release: http://www.doyogawithme.com/content/deep-release-hips-hamstrings-and-lower-back

Flexibility can, and does, improve but you have to keep at it. I recently got back into yoga after several years of very sporadic stretching. After 3 weeks stretching/yoga almost every day I am nearly back to my previous levels of flexibility.
  • RogueLightning
    RogueLightning Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello, As far as flexibility is concerned, I agree with the previous responses to keep doing yoga.

For getting into certain poses (like being able to touch toes) however, keep in mind that sometimes its not tightness where you think that's keeping you from doing them. It may be a matter of not getting into them in a sequence that helps your body prep for the pose.

I have tight hamstrings and always thought that was the reason I could not touch my toes in a forward bend. It took a kind teacher to tell me that I needed to reach my torso up more and activate my locks before I bent into my standing forward fold. It worked instantly (for me) and magnificently. Downdogs and Updogs helped me with the back and belly stretches so I could get deeper into the forward fold. Hope this helps.
  • fat2burn2014
    fat2burn2014 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the all of the above. I have the same problem ginger. I completed a 1/2 hr session today and I dread my yoga day because I am so tight that I can barely do any of the moves. I will check the doyoga website and consider taking a class.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you! This was all very helpful. :smile:

At the moment I do three 1h/1h30 classes a week at the gym, and I am going to my first class in a yoga studio tomorrow afternoon. Unfortunately the gym classes are so overcrowded (especially now) that there is little focus on correct posture and movements, so I suspect I am doing a lot of those wrong.

Also, I have found a 15 min routine + warmup I do every morning. I know it's not much, but already planning that much in my morning routine is a chore, as I really, really, really despise waking up early and will usually always sleep to the last minute. Also even that short amount helps me get started on a better day! Since all my previous goals of waking up at 5am to go running and such failed, I decided I will take baby steps this time until I build up to a daily 1hr session.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    bostonwolf wrote: »

That is very interesting. I am not sure how I can figure out which one it is, though I do think it is physical, due to a combination cycling a lot to go to places + wearing heels daily. Both are killers for hamstrings…