The benefits and rewards of weightloss-- 179 lbs 'lost' and more gained...

Options
bobbijodmb
bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
b13428c2-a991-4ce9-aabf-521adc1d0dae.jpg

The photo on the left was me in 2008. I was living life but I wasn't really living. I thought I was, but I didn't know then what I know now. I didn't realize how much change was possible. My goal was never to get where I am now. My goal then? To lose enough weight that I didn't have to buy a bigger size clothing. I didn't think I could do what I have done. I didn't think skinny was ever a possiblity for me, so I never tried.

I have struggled with weight issues most of my life and until about 2006 I never even tried to do anything different. Everyone in my family had weight issues, so it was just something I accepted. 2006 I worked out a little and got a little healthier, but still overweight.

Then I was in a car accident, and gained a lot of weight in a short period of time, I couldn't continue my exercise regiment (which I started to slack on) and I was pretty upset/depressed. Once my doctor cleared me to work out in the Fall of 2008- I made a decision to make a whole lifestyle change and I have not looked back since.

I started small- elliptical, water aerobics, curves, walking, etc. And over the last year I managed to run 5 half marathons. In November 2013 I couldn't even run for 2 minutes without stopping and now I am training for a full marathon this May. I would have never thought that I would be running, let alone running a marathon.

I remember years of watching the biggest loser, and seeing myself slowly being bigger and bigger than the contestants when they would first get to the ranch. I remember seeing them doing marathons, being like um no never. And now that is me. I run 4-5 days a week and I love it.

I look at that I lost 179 lbs over the last 6 years but I have gained so much more:
*I am now in control of my health-- it is not in control of me
*I am the most active that I have ever been and love trying new things (hence my 2015 goals are to run a full marathon and do a tough mudder)
*I have met so many great people through this journey who have also struggled and have been great supports
*Smaller clothes which means I can pack more when I go on trips
*and a sense of happiness that I have never felt before- being 100% ok with my body and its imperfections. But knowing that I am the person I am today because I fought hard over the years.

I couldn't have done this overnight and there were many times I wanted to give up. I made mistakes, learned from them and kept going. I wish I would have started this journey earlier in my life.

My biggest advice is don't see this as a temporary journey. This is life- I go by the 80/20 rule. 80% of the time, I make the best decisions for my body with food options but I allow myself 20% to enjoy something as a treat and I never feel deprived.

Keep up the motivation. I read this year that most people will only keep their weightloss/workout resoution for 2 weeks. So I figured I would post something to help motivate people to keep with it, even and especially when it gets hard. Set goals and work hard =)

Replies

• Trukngrl
    Trukngrl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! Congrats. You can tell in your smile in the before what a beautiful person was waiting to get free. So impressive and motivational. Thank you for sharing. Keep up the amazing work
  • makaylao
    makaylao Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    wow! congratulations! very impressive and inspiring...
  • JenNicole11
    JenNicole11 Posts: 1,834 Member
    Options
    Amazing story....amazing job! Congratulations!! You look fabulous! :smile:
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Incredible!
  • lindzgayle
    lindzgayle Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Bravo! You look fantastic, and you have done such a wonderful job of keeping a healthy attitude about your weight loss as well.
    Good luck on your marathon and tough mudder! :)
  • bri_chr_kha
    Options
    Absolutely awesome! You look fabulous.... thank you for the inspiration and good luck on your tough mudder!
  • kecmw25
    kecmw25 Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    Amazing story, thanks for sharing!! You're an inspiration :)
  • believeinme0430
    believeinme0430 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! You look amazing!! Thank you for sharing your story it is very motivating to keep going!
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing – what an amazing accomplishment! You look and sound fantastic. I hope to be in your place in another couple years myself – still have about 150 pounds to go, but I will get there! Reading stories like this really helps me!
  • Djrundle13
    Djrundle13 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I really get motivated reading about everyones stories and helps me realize I can do it too! Lots of bumps in the road and it's not going to be overnight but I will get there!!! Thank you!!!
  • Boobietrap1337
    Boobietrap1337 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Wow. Thank you for the inspiration! I'm going to keep this in mind whenever I feel discouraged. (Like this morning! I didn't lose any weight, but I did maintain.) You look a lot like Rose Tyler from Doctor Who! I love it :smile:
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Heartfelt congratulations on your hard work paying off.
    Amazing accomplishment!
    You are a true inspiration!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    wow what a difference, very inspiring. what is your height and weight now? Was this your first time at losing the weight. You look so good.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    brenn24179 wrote: »
    wow what a difference, very inspiring. what is your height and weight now? Was this your first time at losing the weight. You look so good.

I am 5'5 and weigh 165 now. Thanks! THis post made me laugh, because most of my life if someone asked me my weight i would have cringed lol
  • Bookaholic88
    Bookaholic88 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You look Fantastic, at least 10 years younger. Congrats!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    F A B U L O U S! You must be so proud of yourself!
  • fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look happy and healthy. Best of luck on your marathon. :)
  • lee134
    lee134 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    You are inspiration to everyone! Thank you
  • millermkarate
    millermkarate Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Exceptional story and really inspirational! Congratulations and good luck with the training for the marathon! :)
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration! You look fantastic :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!