Ever had a personal trainer?

Options

Is a $180 relatively normal rate for 6, 30 minute sessions a month for 6 months?

I sometimes feel like I have no idea what I'm doing quite honestly, but I do go and I try to do something! Not sure if 'form' and 'technique' is easily self taught. I feel like my week at the gym was nothing compared to how I felt after my 30 minute assessment.

I am not that workout savvy, but would i be wasting my money? couldn't I just pop in a dvd for the same affect?

... have you had a trainer? did you like or dislike the experience? was it beneficial? or a waste?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    $180 for 6 sessions totalling 3 hours, for a $60 an hour rate.
    Or, $180 for 6 months of 3 training hours per month, for a $10 an hour rate?

I've had a trainer since June. We've corrected muscle issues, I've gained a significant amount of strength and endurance, and it's supplemented my own training quite well. He's also driven me hard, and has an amazing knack for knowing what I can do, even when I think I *can't* do something.

If you can afford it, and want to increase the effectiveness of your training regimen, it will take the investment of a trainer or coach. If you're in just to do your thing and whatever, then you really need to think, is an investment in training time really important?

I would also suggest you get a qualified and competent trainer, and tell them precisely what you want, then hold them to those goals.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    As for popping in a dvd? You can't do that for weight training, so I don't know about it. It all just reminds me of richard simmons stuff.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would Google weight lifting/strength training workouts for beginners then go to YouTube and study the proper form for each technique. If you are a member of a gym, they should have staff to show you the proper way to use the weights and weight machines. Another option is to check out www.bodybuilding .com because they have videos to illustrate the proper forms as well.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I had three one hour sessions with a personal trainer over the summer. They were very helpful for me. I wanted to be sure that my form was good and that's pretty much what he worked on with me. He created a personalized strength routine, which was made up of the dumbbell equivalent of compound lifts with couple of isolated movements included. It was a really good way for me to start lifting. Youtube videos and the like help somewhat with form but it was good for me to have somebody stand back and say "you're doing this right" or "move your hands more like this" or "push your hips back more," etc.
  • laceyn18
    laceyn18 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I worked out with a trainer for 3 years. I was in the best shape of my life, strongest I have ever been and smallest I have ever been. I don't think you need to workout with a trainer forever but the longer you are with them the more you'll learn. Learning good form is huge and 6 sessions should be plenty of time to get you started, aware of how the exercises should feel and get you on a program. If you feel like you don't know what you're doing, you more than likely won't see results and you won't keep it up. Spend a little money to get a plan together and you'll be happy you did.
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I just started working with a trainer in December because I wanted to start lifting and do so in a way to get the most benefit without injuring myself. After my initial assessment, she put together a 3 phase plan. She works with me for the first days of each one and as I get more comfortable, I do it on my own. So, At the beginning of a phase, I may work with her twice a week, then one day the following week, then go on my own for a couple weeks. If at any point I'm uncomfortable or uncertain about my form, we get together for her to check it and help. This has really helped me feel comfortable and I can already see gains.

It's apparently also pretty fun for her because a lot of her clients have injuries or limitations that I don't have.

I don't know how rate differences will be wherever you are, but my sessions are usually an hour and $40, so the $60/hour seems a little high for me. Again, that may be a standard rate were you are though.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    That rate is fine. I've had a trainer before. She was great. Since I wanted to become one (which I have) I felt it was necessary to train with one. A good trainer is very much worth it.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    i've sort of had one - my sister is a personal trainer who lives on baffin island (far north) and i live smack in the middle of southern canada. so we don't meet in person often. she's been extremely helpful with a few trouble spots when we were at the gym together - i have gait issues - and when we're just in contact online i can ask her plenty of questions and it really helps. so, worth it to me!

the going rate around here is $20-25/hr, usually bought in 6 or 10 session packages.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    I have always and only had trainers. I'll workout on my own sometimes, but generally i have a trainer to design my program and teach and spot me. A good trainer is worth their weight in gold.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I lucked out recently. Found a girl who is getting her PT certification (she already has a bachelors degree in Physical Education so she knows what she's doing), and she needs to do 30 hours of training to get her certificate... so she's training me for FREE!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    lismany wrote: »

Is a $180 relatively normal rate for 6, 30 minute sessions a month for 6 months?

I sometimes feel like I have no idea what I'm doing quite honestly, but I do go and I try to do something! Not sure if 'form' and 'technique' is easily self taught. I feel like my week at the gym was nothing compared to how I felt after my 30 minute assessment.

I am not that workout savvy, but would i be wasting my money? couldn't I just pop in a dvd for the same affect?

... have you had a trainer? did you like or dislike the experience? was it beneficial? or a waste?

Yes, $180 is a normal rate. Actually, a really good rate.

My previous trainer was $100 an hour (which is pretty acceptable in my area). My current trainer is $30 an hour but I travel some ways to train with her.

I love my current trainer. She knows her stuff and we've developed a great friendship. She pushes me, encourages me, and motivates me to do my best. She has taught me that I'm capable of more than I think I am- more than I give myself credit for.

A trainer is great for those who need an extra push or for those who won't workout unless they have someone forcing them to. I know a lot of people who hire a trainer because they won't go to the gym otherwise.

• hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have one. He helped me get my nutrition right as well as teaching me good form in the gym and how to really burn calories fast (not the way I would have thought). He also motivates me to work harder and has taught me to run without injury. Well worth every penny spent.
  • BitterGoil
    BitterGoil Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I honestly think it's a waste. I got stuck in an L.A. Fitness trainer program, it's embarrassing how much I paid for a year's worth of training, but unless you put your mind to it, including your diet, the trainer can only push you as much as you're willing to go without being annoying and making you want to quit. My trainer was the nicest guy, but I wasn't as devoted as I should have been. It all depends on you :smile:
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    NOT all trainers are created equal. test drive a few before you zero in on one that is responsive to your needs.
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have had a trainer for 8 years. I have cut other things out of my budget in order to continue the training. Best decision of my life!
  • djavamocha
    Options
    The cost of a personal trainer varies by location. Here in NYC a trainer can cost about 80/hour. My opinion is a trainer is great to learn how to use the equipment and learn routines. They are good if you are trying to change something up about your body. However, they are not needed all the time. Use them here or there and follow their lead.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Words cannot express how much I love my trainer. I have been going to her for over a year. She is worth every penny I have spent. My rate is $55 for a hour training session. My gym has a sliding scale if you will that the more sessions you get at a time you can get a discount.

For me, I would not have gotten the results that I have gotten without her. She has pushed me to do things that I never thought possible and would not have tried on my own. She will also call me out when I am phoning in a workout.

Like any relationship a good connection is very important. There are good trainers and bad trainers. I say try it out and see if you like it.
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    My personal trianer charges per session. I go in for an hour- an hour and a half and it's only $35. If you do group training it's $25.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I invested in training sessions when I signed up for my gym membership last year. It was the best money I spent on this whole thing so far. I had a contract to pay $140 a month for a year, and got 4 30-minute sessions a month. They could accumulate. Yes, pricey, but TOTALLY worth it. I'd echo much of what has been said here – a good trainer will put you out of your comfort zone safely.
  • oriole35
    oriole35 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have been using a trainer for about 6 months. I take the special at the gym which was 10, 30 minute sessions for $200. I use my trainer twice a week and sometimes I don't feel as if we are really doing anything. I am working on core now.
    I was amazed when I realized that I could do a squat without the chair and I can now also do walking lunges.