How often do you weigh in?

Options

Replies

• A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I step on the scale multiples times a day to track my progress (it helps me, doesn't mean it works for everyone). I officially weigh once or twice a week (depending on the week). Just remember that the scale will go up and down, depending alot on water weight. Don't get frustrated when you see it because it could drop the next day. I know some people who only weigh every 2 weeks; I can't do that. Make sure to be getting your water, that is the most important thing when it comes to water weight.
  • Dkittery
    Dkittery Posts: 82
    Options
    Every day is not the way to go. I weigh-in once a week, same time, same floor tile, same clothes (none). Tomorrow morning... Dum, dum dum!!!

I do the same. :)

I also watch my Body fat % instead of my weight.
  • shesnotthere
    shesnotthere Posts: 117
    Options
    I was weighing every day...or more often. It was driving me crazy because my weight really fluctuates. I've started weighing in on Sunday mornings. It's only been two weeks, but so far I like it. For one thing, it makes me a little more aware when I am out Friday and Saturdays. Also, it's been nice to see a loss instead of up down up down. It's kind of fun to have that moment of suspense.
  • moeslady305
    moeslady305 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every friday am with no clothes and after first bathroom run...I cant do the weigh in everyday it drives me crazy and i dont stay motivate...I know that every week i should at least loose a pound and that is good enough for me if i loose more that is a bonus!!! That scale can be the devil sometimes...Good luck!
  • Silvergamma
    Silvergamma Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily, and I record daily. I wake up, use the restroom and weigh in. For me, much of this process has been like a science experiment, so I like seeing how my body reacts to things. There are sometime significant fluctuations in my weight from day to day, but it's all about the long term trend (which I can track because I log daily). I now know that I'm very sensitive to both sodium and alcohol. I can see how my hormones affect my weight. For me data = confidence in my decisions. This is not for everyone, but it works for me.
  • Sesilje
    Sesilje Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh myself once a week, before breakfast (but after toilet) - but since I started this process of losing weight I've been weighing myself twice a week. (Sun + Wed/Thu) I'm usually the patient type, but now I feel like I can't wait for a whole week to see results...
    The mid-week weigh-in is less important though. I do log it here on MFP, but not in my home made statistics where I also log weekly average Net cals and Exercise cals.
  • Loubell83
    Loubell83 Posts: 20
    Options
    I weigh in once a week on a Wednesday. It lets some of my bad habits from during the weekend resolve themselves! If I think I have eaten a lot the previous day sometimes I jump on midweek, but generally once a week at the same time, same clothes and same flooring mean that I get an accurate weight loss pattern. I log it once a week and I have had consistent weight loss throughout since the start of Jan (fingers crossed this continues!!))
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I do it every day mostly because I am trying to see the effects of varying sodium and water intake issues and trying to fine-tune the validity of my food and exercise values tracking. But I only record weight on the days I lose ;)
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday and view the weight fluctuation as an opportunity to learn to be more flexible. It's helping me train my emotions to be more calm and steady and not waver every time the scale goes up and down. I can apply that to other areas of life.

I also get to learn what triggers a few pounds of weight gain. For example, last week I only got around 5 hours of sleep one night. The next day, I gained 2.5 lbs. I've spent almost a week recovering from that gain.

I learned how important sleep is to the weight loss process. If I only weighed once a week, I wouldn't know that.

Wow.... I didn't know sleep can affect your weight loss... maybe that could be the cause of my 2.5 lb weight gain since Sunday...???!!!

Anyway, I weigh myself every morning (when I can remember) and log it in my iPhone app 'TargetWeight' just to see if I can see a trend & how it relates to my food & exercise diary. I only log the weight on MFP on my official weigh-in day.
  • oBirdieo
    oBirdieo Posts: 148
    Options
    I weigh every day or so, but only record my weight once a week as it can fluctuate from day to day. As I start to lose more slowly, I'll probably weigh in every two weeks so I'll be able to appreciate the little movements on the scale.
  • ravenlunatic76
    ravenlunatic76 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Morning and night.....ugh
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    once a week I log it but I do sneak a look a few times throughout the week now ...
    funny because before I didnt want to know my weight, now Im excited to find out!
  • posbey
    posbey Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh in every day now i weigh in less frequently ( 2 weeks) it helps me focus on other things like working out and trying to stay on my eating plan. I notice how my clothes are fitting and that's good enough for me! but good luck everyone and do what works best for your situation.
  • darkhorse43
    darkhorse43 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday and view the weight fluctuation as an opportunity to learn to be more flexible. It's helping me train my emotions to be more calm and steady and not waver every time the scale goes up and down. I can apply that to other areas of life.

I also get to learn what triggers a few pounds of weight gain. For example, last week I only got around 5 hours of sleep one night. The next day, I gained 2.5 lbs. I've spent almost a week recovering from that gain.

I learned how important sleep is to the weight loss process. If I only weighed once a week, I wouldn't know that.

This is me exactly. I get too upset if after a week I don't lose or gain. I'd rather see the day to day fluctuation so I know what's happening. I generally only fluctuate 1/2 pound or less.
  • merrycat
    merrycat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble finding the right weighing frequency for myself. I find myself wanting to weigh in daily, but then the little fluctuations really get me worked up. On the other hand I like knowing what is happening with my body, and seeing how things (like the lack of sleep that another poster mentioned) affect my weight from day to day. Perhaps I should try twice a week?
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Once a wk. Preferably same day around the same time.
  • ratkins811
    ratkins811 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have to do weekly. I wont even bring a scale into the house. I weigh in at work same time each week to keep motivated, otherwise I would become discouraged if I didnt see some progress.
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, multiple times throughout the day. However, I only log one *official* weigh-in a week. Saturday mornings. Progress is what you want to log, however... I find that weighing myself more often makes me recognize the natural fluctuations in my weight, and they no longer drive me crazy when I see them because I understand them. I better understand how my body works, and that is motivating for me.

For example, I know when I have a really bad day with sodium I will most likely see a gain, and I understand that it is just water weight so I don't freak out when I see the scale go up. I also know that I weight more in the evening than I do in the morning, so when I get on the scale at night I keep that in mind. Honestly, when I finally got out of the 180's I was still weighing about 181-182 in the evenings, and I got to have a second "Yay, I'm officially out of the 180's" celebration when my evening weight caught up!!! LOL. Another little milestone for me. :) Plus, I know better what I need to do, what I need to be careful of, the day before I *officially* weigh in so that I can get the most accurate (and pleasing) number possible the next morning.

Some people get very upset about the fluctuations, and they get discouraged when they see the scale go up at all. Those people should stick to weekly weigh-ins. Same time, same clothing (or none), same scale, same location...
  • miss_jamaica
    miss_jamaica Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, but only log my weight once weekly.

Me too.
  • dmkaiser83
    dmkaiser83 Posts: 89
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, multiple times throughout the day. However, I only log one *official* weigh-in a week. Saturday mornings. Progress is what you want to log, however... I find that weighing myself more often makes me recognize the natural fluctuations in my weight, and they no longer drive me crazy when I see them because I understand them. I better understand how my body works, and that is motivating for me.

For example, I know when I have a really bad day with sodium I will most likely see a gain, and I understand that it is just water weight so I don't freak out when I see the scale go up. I also know that I weight more in the evening than I do in the morning, so when I get on the scale at night I keep that in mind. Honestly, when I finally got out of the 180's I was still weighing about 181-182 in the evenings, and I got to have a second "Yay, I'm officially out of the 180's" celebration when my evening weight caught up!!! LOL. Another little milestone for me. :) Plus, I know better what I need to do, what I need to be careful of, the day before I *officially* weigh in so that I can get the most accurate (and pleasing) number possible the next morning.

Some people get very upset about the fluctuations, and they get discouraged when they see the scale go up at all. Those people should stick to weekly weigh-ins. Same time, same clothing (or none), same scale, same location...
    I can't wait to get out of the 180s!!!