calorie count in oils used for cooking

Options
Sorry if this is a duplicate but I can't find this anywhere else so thought I'd post it. when I sautee in olive oil how do you determine how much actually is consumed in the food? How do you figure out how much to log in to your diary?

Replies

• Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I always log whatever I put in the pan. If it's a little less, bonus for me since I'm trying to lose weight, so fewer calories than logged is never a bad thing. If you're trying to gain, maybe someone else can chime in here.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I always log whatever I put in the pan. If it's a little less, bonus for me since I'm trying to lose weight, so fewer calories than logged is never a bad thing. If you're trying to gain, maybe someone else can chime in here.

This.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Yep, log it all. Impossible to tell exactly how much ends up on your food as it'll vary depending on the porousness of said food, how hot the pan/oil is, etc etc. And oil adds up fast so it's easy to consume waaaay more calories than you think if you don't log it conscientiously.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much is left over and what you cook. Chicken has less fat in it than, say, pork, so pork will leave more juice/water in the pan than chicken. If you can fill a tablespoon or two, then its safe to bet that it is mostly oil, bc most the water evaporates. But I say use the critical thinking side of your brain to make an estimation. If you are looking for an exact answer here, there is none.

There are ways to get scientific with this, but hey...its just oil in the pan.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Take what I say with a grain of salt. I eat full fat bacon almost everyday when on my diet.
  • DrKnowledge
    DrKnowledge Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the replies and help!
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I put a tablespoon of oil in the hot pan and roll it around to coat. Then I drain the excess back into the spoon. I can see that it's 2/3rds full so I log 1/3 tablespoon (or a teaspoon). I also started taking a paper towel and dipping it in the oil (I have a grease can) and then swabbing it on the hot pan. I don't think that's even a teaspoon but I log it as such. There are other times when I need to add more fat to my calories so I won't drain (as much) and the food just has more oil in it.
  • gconrod
    gconrod Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You would be surprised how little oil you need. Try spraying oil and notice how little you use.