Weight Loss Surgery

Options
This is forum is for anyone who is thinking about weight loss surgery, has had it and in the process.

Hi my name is Michelle I'm currently 260lbs and I am on my 3 week liquid diet I'm going to have the gastric sleeve my surgery date is scheduled for 9/9/14.

The reason I made this forum is because we could all use a support system NO JUDGING a place where we can be honest and lift each other up when we need lifting.

51749448.png

Replies

• tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm not having it done but I just want to wish you good luck!
  • original_mami
    original_mami Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I will be documenting my process before and after surgery posting pictures and healthy gastric surgery approved meal recipes. I would love for you to join me I want your input your process your story your ideas on recipes lets be our support system lets go through it together!
  • original_mami
    Options
    Thank you! I'm extremely nervous and excited all at the same time LOL
  • RWilliams_Fit
    RWilliams_Fit Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend had it a year ago and it is the best thing he has ever done.

Good Luck and congrats on making a decision that will change your life in so many positive ways
  • original_mami
    Options
    I wish Fit pal had a [LIKE] button LOL thank you so much!
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hi! How has it been going since surgery? I was sleeved on 9/18/14 and just "graduated" to some soft foods like eggs, fish, and soft cheeses.
  • toniroderick
    toniroderick Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am having the sleeve soon!
  • Rosie5151
    Rosie5151 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My sister had this done end of Sept. and is not doing well. Yes, she is losing weight rapidly, but she has almost died because of infection. She had a staple tear her "new" stomach and the infection went through her body. Was back for second surgery / in hosp. for another week and back in now. She is not well. She can not even drink water and throws up everything. I feel so bad for her and wish you well. She regrets this decision she has made terribly. She can not enjoy life and there is no end in sight for her. I hope you re think this. Not everyone goes through hell I'm sure but watching her I'm not sure why anyone would do this to their body.
  • delainepittman
    delainepittman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had the roux&y gastric bypass in 2002. I weighed 250 pounds. I had no complications or problems. I lost 98 pounds total. I maintained that for 5 years. Over time, I was able to eat more and sugar and fat didn't give me any problems. By 2013 I was back up to 208 pounds. I am now losing weight slowly with diet and exercise. Please consider having psychological therapy before your surgery. If you don't fix the real reasons you overeat and gain weight, even the surgery won't be effective long-term. Good luck.
  • livanneluv
    livanneluv Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice, and I'm taking it! :)
    I had the roux&y gastric bypass in 2002. I weighed 250 pounds. I had no complications or problems. I lost 98 pounds total. I maintained that for 5 years. Over time, I was able to eat more and sugar and fat didn't give me any problems. By 2013 I was back up to 208 pounds. I am now losing weight slowly with diet and exercise. Please consider having psychological therapy before your surgery. If you don't fix the real reasons you overeat and gain weight, even the surgery won't be effective long-term. Good luck.

• petrmoon1126
    petrmoon1126 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am planning to have the gastric sleeve in January. I think what a way to start the new year to start with working on my self both on the outside and in the inside. I do plan to do long term therapy as I am sure there a lot of issues that have lead me to gain and not lose. I do not ever want to be where I am now again. It is a huge decision and a scary one at that. Please keep us updated with your progress. I agree that this will be a great support group.
  • sdterpasl
    sdterpasl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had RNY 10-14-14 I am doing wonderful! I did have 6 months of education and emotional prep. I also have a huge support system. At first I didn't want to tell any one, now I will tell any one who asks. I don't regret this at all, I feel amazing!
  • Djrundle13
    Djrundle13 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, just wanted to poke my nose in here too. LOL

I'm in the preop process myself for RNY. i go for my psyche testing and others next month. Really excited and can't wait to get started on the post op journey

Would love to have a group of MFP pals to have on my friend list. If anyone would like to add me, please do so.
  • AugustPearl
    Options
    Hello! I've started the process to be approved for RNY. My insurance requires I be on a diet for 6 mos. I'm frustrated about it b/c I've been failing at dieting for 25 years. I know I should be using this time to start working on the mental side & changing my life style, but right now it just feels like another diet I'm going to fail, so I'm struggling w/ motivation. Any advice?
  • bumuling
    Options
    Finally having a weight-loss surgery might be your key to success. I read somewhere recently that weight-loss surgery might actually change your taste buds-- scientists did a study on it (I'd have to look this up, I don't remember the details)...

I still need to track calories and exercise, but having the surgery and following the doctor's instructions has actually changed some of my feelings and desires around food. I am sad that I'm not eating some of the foods I loved, but I like that I can feel satisfied with less food, and I'm enjoying sort of learning what I want to eat now.

Socially, it's a pain in the neck. I eat out with friends, eat about a cup of food, and watch them chow down mightily on three courses. Just be aware, ya gotta learn to do this and be happy that whatever you're having in smaller quantities is still tasty. I don't eat salads, my friends-- I just eat tiny portions of the things I would have eaten anyhow.

In my 50's I found I couldn't lose weight-- diets and strategies I'd used successfully in the past didn't work for me anymore. I felt undernourished and frustrated. I had a lap-band done on June 20, and I've lost 80 pounds (down from 294).

Fitness Pal has been a huge help-- mostly I use it just to track my daily calories and nutrition-- it's so easy! It's a good way to write down everything you eat, which they told us in lap-band education was key to our success.

I *highly* recommend weight loss surgery-- just follow your doctor's instructions, and take advantage of whatever support they offer. I live too far away from my doc to attend support sessions, but I've called their nurse educator and I consult frequently with my hometown doctor and a therapist.

Good luck to all!
  • bumuling
    bumuling Posts: 7
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Here's the article I was talking about-- "Weight-Loss Surgery May Change Taste Buds: Stanford Study"-- my point being, even if you've struggled in the past, surgery might help in ways you haven't even thought about.

http://www.NewsmaxHealth.com/Health-News/bariatric-surgery-weight-loss-taste-buds/2014/11/05/id/605433/#ixzz3Ki4DtyAA
  • PALady4JC
    PALady4JC Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    sdterpasl wrote: »
    I had RNY 10-14-14 I am doing wonderful! I did have 6 months of education and emotional prep. I also have a huge support system. At first I didn't want to tell any one, now I will tell any one who asks. I don't regret this at all, I feel amazing!
    Keep moving forward, girl! We're in similar boats. :-)

• PALady4JC
    PALady4JC Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    bumuling wrote: »
    Finally having a weight-loss surgery might be your key to success. I read somewhere recently that weight-loss surgery might actually change your taste buds-- scientists did a study on it (I'd have to look this up, I don't remember the details)...

I still need to track calories and exercise, but having the surgery and following the doctor's instructions has actually changed some of my feelings and desires around food. I am sad that I'm not eating some of the foods I loved, but I like that I can feel satisfied with less food, and I'm enjoying sort of learning what I want to eat now.

Socially, it's a pain in the neck. I eat out with friends, eat about a cup of food, and watch them chow down mightily on three courses. Just be aware, ya gotta learn to do this and be happy that whatever you're having in smaller quantities is still tasty. I don't eat salads, my friends-- I just eat tiny portions of the things I would have eaten anyhow.

In my 50's I found I couldn't lose weight-- diets and strategies I'd used successfully in the past didn't work for me anymore. I felt undernourished and frustrated. I had a lap-band done on June 20, and I've lost 80 pounds (down from 294).

Fitness Pal has been a huge help-- mostly I use it just to track my daily calories and nutrition-- it's so easy! It's a good way to write down everything you eat, which they told us in lap-band education was key to our success.

I *highly* recommend weight loss surgery-- just follow your doctor's instructions, and take advantage of whatever support they offer. I live too far away from my doc to attend support sessions, but I've called their nurse educator and I consult frequently with my hometown doctor and a therapist.

Good luck to all!

I chuckled at the comment "watch them chow down mightily on three courses"...haven't you found though that most people really don't chew and enjoy their food? The need for bariatric patients to chew their food so thoroughly has really made me aware of how fast and gluttoneously a lot of people eat.
  • sdterpasl
    sdterpasl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello! I've started the process to be approved for RNY. My insurance requires I be on a diet for 6 mos. I'm frustrated about it b/c I've been failing at dieting for 25 years. I know I should be using this time to start working on the mental side & changing my life style, but right now it just feels like another diet I'm going to fail, so I'm struggling w/ motivation. Any advice?

I can't tell you how important the work you do before is!! Make habits, know that you will not fail. The hard work now WILL payoff. I promised.
  • eggheadsalad
    eggheadsalad Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had my RNY on Nov 17th- I'm down 52 lbs at last weigh in, which was two weeks ago. More importantly I'm feeling so much better and am much more active now. I'm wondering if anyone had back aches while they were losing? I've got some degeneration in my spine to begin with but now that my tummy is going down, my back is hurting! Any advice?