Goodbye old friends :(

Options
earlnabby
earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
I just went through my closet and tried on all of my dresses. I had to say goodbye to some of my absolute favorites that are so big on me now that they don't look good at all. I tend to wear a lot of basic "A" line or princess seam dresses which can look good through a range of weight, and I lose last in the bust so my dress and top size hasn't changed nearly as much as my pants size. I did find a couple of even older favorites that I can wear again, so it isn't quite as painful to say goodbye.

I donate my too big clothes to a local charity that does not resell. They provide clothing at no cost to those who need it. They give to the homeless but also work with the local women's shelter to provide clothes for the women who show up there with nothing, as well as those who need nicer things to wear on job interviews or the first days on a new job. People who lose all of their belongings in house fires are also welcome to choose clothes from them. I like what they do and feel that they will make better use of my stuff than resale charities do.

Replies

• SALSACHICA1
    SALSACHICA1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! I mailed mine to a friend who needed them and she ended up shrinking out of them pretty quickly too!
  • chubbywolfe
    chubbywolfe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Congrats! It's hard to give up favorites that made you confident/comfortable in your previous size :smiley:
  • AllAboutThatPace
    AllAboutThatPace Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am going through the same thing! I started a new job in June and bought some really cute things. I have had to get rid of them, because they are way too big and I even had a coworker say something about how big my pants were. It is a good feeling, but at the same time, it's a little sad.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. I did a closet purge about a month ago. I looked a couple of dresses and said "I love you but you have to go as I will NEVER be wearing you again!'
  • starbucktigh
    starbucktigh Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Congrats, and thank you for seeing that your old friends go to a charity! Your loss is their gain!
  • bakingforlife
    bakingforlife Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    thats awesome
  • earlnabby
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Congrats! It's hard to give up favorites that made you confident/comfortable in your previous size :smiley:

I think that this is part of it. One of the dresses was worn constantly and I always received compliments when I wore it, even at over 300 lb. It is from a company called HolyClothing and I will be buying it (or something very similar) when I get to goal just because it was so pretty, comfortable, and flattering.

ETA: it also wore like iron as long as I washed it in cold and didn't throw it in the dryer.

• MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I'm glad your old friends will help out those in need :smile: sadly all my old bigger clothes are far too worn to be of use to anyone.
  • tchell99
    tchell99 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I just took a bunch of professional clothes to Dress for Success. Sad because they were nice suits, dresses, etc., but glad they will find a good home.
  • lulu1066
    lulu1066 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I too donated all my huge stuff that wasn't too ratty or worn or in weird colours, to the local charity, and during my weight loss journey started to use the shop as my own personal lending library for clothes. I'd buy pieces, wear them for a few weeks, and when they got too big, I'd clean them and donate them again. Only cost me a fraction of what it would have cost to buy four or five new wardrobes of clothes and I felt great wearing new ( to me ) things all the time - more people noted my weight loss too as I would come into work in new things all the time. So go ahead and donate everyone, but also give money to a great cause in temporarily buying their stuff! I waved goodbye to my voluminous stuff with a cheery smile and now adore my 'forever' wardrobe pieces ( that I'm nearly in!)
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Here is to NEW FAVORITES!!!!

• paigecash
    paigecash Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I recently lost 30 pounds and had to purge my closet too. It broke my heart to give away some of my clothes that I loved, but on the other hand, I love seeing them on a friend of mine who never spends any money to dress herself.
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    candacet36 wrote: »
    Here is to NEW FAVORITES!!!!

Yes indeed!

:D
  • earlnabby
    Options
    I'm glad your old friends will help out those in need :smile: sadly all my old bigger clothes are far too worn to be of use to anyone.

That is another thing I like about this particular place: anything that they deem too worn, they pass on to charities in third world countries. Some are worn but many are cut apart for things like the buttons and the fabric is used in homecrafts like quilting and braiding rugs. Nothing that you donate goes to waste.

• earlnabby
    Options

tchell99 wrote: »
    I just took a bunch of professional clothes to Dress for Success. Sad because they were nice suits, dresses, etc., but glad they will find a good home.

yeah, some of my things were really nice too. I am glad they can be used by someone re-entering the job market. Going on an interview dressed appropriately not only gives a good first impression but it gives a person more confidence which can only help.

• erojoy
    erojoy Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I really think its great that you took the time to make this a positive moment for someone else and not just for yourself by donating. :smile:
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    WOOHOO shopping spree!
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    We went through our closets when we moved and donated all of our old clothes from when we were bigger to a charity as well. It's nice to be able to no longer look at your "fat clothes" and do a good deed! Great job!!
  • qstneverything
    qstneverything Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Great job all!!

It's going to be sad to throw out some of my nicer clothing (Especially now that I'm currently losing I don't want to buy nice clothes until I'm closer to goal weight) but for every fat dress I throw out, there's an old thinner dress for me waiting that I can wear again :D
  • nancymitch62
    nancymitch62 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that a good tailor can keep your favorite pieces in you wardrobe if you really don't want to part with them.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!