What is the best low calorie sweetener that is all natural?

Options
I am looking for advice on the best low calorie (or no calorie) sweetener that is all natural and does NOT have any aftertaste. I use Stevia right now which tastes fine in food but terrible in my coffee (strong aftertaste) for some reason. I don't want to spend a bunch of money hunting down the right sweetener so was hoping I could get some advice. Any suggestions?

Replies

• janetn03
    janetn03 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I use Truvia on my oatmeal its really good! :#
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Truvia, Stevia, Agave
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    check out monk fruit sweetener monkfruit.org I swear it tastes and feels like sugar.

I got it for Christmas one year and used it in my coffee, would have bet a million it was sugar (same texture too)
  • piningforapples3
    Options
    Before I go any further, I would like to say that I'm a third year biochem major, so I'm like, 75% qualified to answer this.

Don't rule out sugar alcohols like xylitol, sorbitol, or erythritol. They are, as far as we know, safe. The only disadvantage is they don't satisfy sugar craving.

As for 'natural' sweeteners, some Now Foods liquid stevia is the best tasting, and monk fruit is pretty good.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    That must be "hunger".
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of Truvia and use it in my Coffee and Oatmeal a lot.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    playdohpants, depends on the amount in the product that has it and your bodies ability to process it.

I just ordered some coconut sweeteners to try. Been doing a lot with Honey lately
  • juliedee20
    juliedee20 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice! :) I will work down the list!
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I used to use Sun Crystals a while ago because it's a mix of stevia and sugar and I didn't like the aftertaste of just plain stevia.

Coconut sugar might be something to try.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    sugar. honey. maple syrup. Use sparingly, measure and log. I haven't found a synthesized sweetener that can even approximate the real stuff. I bet you'll be happier with using the real deal on just a few treats than if you put the fake stuff all over everything.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    maple syrup or honey.
  • Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Im a honey or pure maple syrup girl
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Pure cane sugar or honey for my coffee/tea.
  • sophiaes98
    Options
    Stevia!
  • juliedee20
    juliedee20 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the new ideas, everyone! :) I am trying the Monk Fruit now which doesn't have as much of an aftertaste as the Stevia, or maybe I'm just getting used to it. I also sometimes use Sugar in the Raw. I love honey, agave syrup, and pure maple syrup, the maple which tastes awesome in oatmeal! I just need to be watchful of the calories but I don't mind going a few over my limit for great taste. I would love to find some coconut sugar that a couple people suggested. I may have to go to a specialty store for that, but I'm always looking for new things. Thanks, again, everyone!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    sugar
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    I don't consume enough calories from added sugars to worry about that kind of thing so I used the non low calorie suspects like honey, maple syrup, and the white stuff.
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I use a tiny bit of Agave Nectar in my coffee and I'm absolutely in love with "Sugar in the Raw" it's all natural cane sugar. I'm personally not a huge fan of Truvia or Stevia-- I like knowing that Sugar in the Raw has less than 3 ingredients.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I just use regular sugar in my coffee (half a tsp 8 calories) and brown sugar in my oatmeal. Very few calories as well since I don't put very much because I also mash up a banana and put it in there which adds sweetness. I haven't tried any no calorie sweeteners that I liked.