Gaining weight in the beginning

Options
So I've been working out faithfully 5 days a week and eating generally healthy watching my carb intake and I'm not sure its because I'm 30 years old and its just getting harder but I GAINED...yes GAINED 4 pounds. depressing. I don't usually like to weigh myself all the time but does anyone thing that I'm just retaining water?

Replies

• sapphirelacey
    Options
    So have I..... I felt discouraged so I didn't log in for. While..... But got token at this.
  • mountainraine1
    Options
    I too have gained!! I exercise on avg 2 hr daily and my calories are where they need to be . I have changed some medications recently that state they could cause weight gain so thinking that may be my issue. Regardless we must stay the course, we will figure out what is causing our issue and get the weight moving in the opposite direction
  • Citas94580
    Citas94580 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna keep on going and pushing. Weighing yourself is very discouraging. Hoping my fat is turning into muscle lol =)
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you just went from couch potato to full-bore gym rat, of course you're going to gain weight. Sore muscles directly translate into water weight. One of my long-time MFP friends (who is now in killer shape), recently did a much harder workout than usual. Bang -- four pounds weight gain overnight. Once the soreness went away, gone again...
  • Citas94580
    Options
    @hill8570 lol thanks... yes that's pretty much what happened.
  • dustinpennington1983
    edited January 2015
    Options
    From everything I remember from working out years ago that's perfectly normal. Your gaining water weight it sounds like. Since you're being more particular with your diet and exercise your probably in taking more water as it is. Plus its natural for your body to retain the water to help rebuild your muscles like it was explained above. Keep on keeping on you're definitely heading the right direct and should see tremendous results soon enough!
  • vanartsdalen2
    vanartsdalen2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what Dustin said! When you start working out after not doing it for a while your body will HOLD your water. Once you're used to working out again you'll drop the water with a whoooosh and wake up one morning several pounds lighter!
    Then like you said, muscle weight! If you're doing a lot of toning you'll probably lose less weight BUT you will keep losing size. While the scale might not be as nice, it is still better because then when you reach your goal you'll be toned instead of "Skinny Fat"
    Good luck!
  • Freedm16
    Freedm16 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey girls,

If you have not heard it yet, muscle is more dense than fat. That means when you gain 1 pound of muscle, it takes up less space in your body than 1 pound of fat. So if you are faithfully working out and generally eating less carbs and a reasonable amount of calories, it is completely normal to gain weight before you lose it. But the good news is that even with the extra pounds, which come from gained muscle mass, you will most likely notice your clothes fitting slightly looser, despite the extra weight. I am a weightlifting and crossfit coach and when clients first come in and start changing their lifestyle to be healthier, it is completely normal and likely they will gain weight and muscle before they notice a loss in pounds. I would advise paying more attention to how your clothes feel than whats on the scale :)

Best of luck to you!
  • Citas94580
    Options
    @Freedm @Vanartsd @dustinpenn Thanks guys!! ;)
  • dawn_motley
    dawn_motley Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is just what I needed to read as well, thanks for the tips!! :)