Eat first?

Options
I have read that if you exercise first before eating, for an hour afterwards the fat burns off. I am trying to lose weight and use a rowing machine and I am wondering how I can maximise my weight loss by eating/exercising in what order.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Meal timing or before/after exercise are purely personal preference.
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    It's a myth. Eat then exercise or exercise then eat- it's all going to yield the same results.
  • nataliemush
    nataliemush Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Okay, thank you. I think I'll exercise first as probably easier than on a full tummy.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    ^^ What they said.

Eat and exercise when best suits you and your schedule.
  • joneallen
    Options
    Okay, thank you. I think I'll exercise first as probably easier than on a full tummy.

I exercise first thing in the morning. Since I can hold food down very well, I always have a meal beforehand.

All the best on your journey!
  • btanton27
    btanton27 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I typically work out first thing in the morning so I don't eat until after my workout but it's up to you... Some mornings I'm ravenous and will get lightheaded if I don't eat something first. You will burn calories either way.
  • nataliemush
    nataliemush Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'd have to get up too early to fit in exercising and a shower with all the other jobs to get done before the school run so I'll carry on with evening exercising I think!!
  • joneallen
    Options
    Always do what fits your schedule. You'll be much more motivated that way. Since I'm a morning person, working out is easier for me before going into work at 8am.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Try it both ways... exercise on an empty stomach for a week or so, then try a week having something to eat first.

Exercising fasted vs fed won't have a meaningful impact on fat/weight loss, but if one leads to better workouts (greater intensity, longer sessions, etc), then that can most definitely impact progress.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    +1 on suggestions to try both ways. I can't do cardio (run / bike / whatever) after fasting -- I need to have eaten within a couple of hours or I'm toast from the get-go. OTOH, I prefer to lift weights on an empty stomach. So if I'm lifting, it's early in the morning; cardio is generally in the evenings. Everyone's different...
  • JennKoz529
    JennKoz529 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I usually eat after I exercise only because if I eat before I feel nauseous. I don't think it makes a difference either way.