Am I not using the info in MFP correctly?

Options
Hi Guys

I have something I cant really figure out.
Ok so I been training a bit and I been eating less and thats kinda what my mind say I should do. Now to loose 1kg a week or 2 pounds or whatever, I need to eat 1500Kcal according to MFP's plan for me. I´ve done this and I have in about 2 weeks lost 3.8 or something like that. Great.

Or is it?

My arms and body is very sluggish and weak and I think I might been doing this wrong.

So heres My Question:
If I need to eat less then 1500Kcal to loose, and I eat those 1500. But I also execise which I have been doing and I loose 300-400Kcal on burn per day.

Then am I supposed to eat 1800-1900Kcal per day? Because what I done is eat 1500 or less and then burn a few Kcal along with that.

Im assuming that I been doing it wrong and that MFP is adjusted so that without training I will loose 1kg a week if I eat 1500Kcal a day. If I train additional calories away I need more right?

Thanks in Advance

Erik

And if you feel like adding another friend in the MFP list well just add me up.

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I assume you have your settings set to sedentary and MFP is NOT automatically assuming any exercise calories? In that case, YES eat back your exercise calories - you need them :) So you can for sure eat more than 1500 a day. You're actually looking for 1500 calories NET.

How tall are you?

So if you're looking at your home page, it will say FOOD - EXERCISE = xxx NET. The xxx NET is supposed to be 1500.

Now a word of caution, the MFP exercise database can be a bit generous with they calorie burns. You could overwrite what it gives you with about 75% of that number. So say it says you burned 100 calories, you'd overwrite that with 75 instead. And eat that back.

Another option is that if you KNOW you're exercising 6 times a week, you could just change your settings from "Sedentary" to "Very active" and eat that amount. This is called the TDEE method (Total daily energy expenditure). If you do this, you don't enter exercise at all and you'll notice MFP will have you eating 1800 calories (ish) automatically (1500+300=1800 taa-daa!). You might also have to "check" to make sure you're still losing/not losing too fast, just to make sure you have the setting correct. i.e. whether to choose "Active" or "Very active" or... "Extremely active"? (If extremely active is a thing, I have no idea).

ETA: To me, 1500 sounds quite low for a man (of any height over 5' 6") so I think you could definitely eat more and still lose weight. You might be happier for it and be more likely to stick with it if you're feeling better. Now I did also notice that for me, as a smaller woman, I didn't increase my calories but I started feeling much better after week 3.

But look at it this way - if you're eating 1500 but burning 300, you're really only leaving 1200 for the rest of your day - which is the bare minimum for even relatively small women.

Does that help?

ETA again: I just punched in a height of 34 yr old 5' 8" and say 195 lbs into this link below using 5-6 hours a week for (strenuous) exercise.

It says the example man's TDEE is 3298 calories a day and if he's wanting to lose weight around 2 lbs a week (though this site calculates it instead by a reduction in calories of 20%, so 2lb/wk might not actually be the rate of loss) then he should be eating about 2600 calories a day to still lose weight. But he would NOT count exercise calories again. He WOULD continue to exercise the same amount consistently.

For the same height/weight at 3-5 hours a week of moderate exercise, the 5'8" 195 lb male would eat 2370 calories a day and still lose weight. And just imagine how much better this dude would feel eating 2300 calories instead of (1500 - 300) 1200!

See the difference? http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    MFP does not include your exercise calories in your calorie goal. That means you should be eating back the calories you burn through exercise as most places will include intended exercise in the calorie goal calculations. MFP doesn't so that if you miss your workouts, your calorie goal will fit with that rather than being too high.

Having said that, a 1Kg per week goal may be too aggressive depending on the amount of weight you have to lose. Another possibility is that your activity level is set too low. It is difficult to say without a lot more information. However, if your energy levels are really low it is probable that you are not eating enough.
  • ErikWennerberg
    ErikWennerberg Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Well I suspected I was effing it all up since I was loosing weight really fast and my body felt like it wasnt oxygenized. So I set my activity level as salesman standing on his feet all day since I am one.

But since I started doing all kinds of exercises and running 4-5 times a week I might wanna up the level a bit right?

Thanks for the fast reply. And once again Thanks in advance.
    Erik
  • Phoebeg1723
    Phoebeg1723 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    There's a discussion about this very thing on the food and nutrition page at the moment. Might be helpful to give it a read :)
  • ErikWennerberg
    ErikWennerberg Posts: 24 Member
    Options