It's been easy cutting out sugar's & soda... BUT it's the salt & alcohol that's killing me!

Options
Can anyone relate? What is your most difficult food/drink to give up?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I didn't give up any of those things. There's no real need to do so and a girl needs to have a few "vices".
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Food for me is pizza-- so i just limit it.

and for a while it was Diet Soda but i haven't drank any since October.... and alcohol, but i try to avoid it as much as possible and then cave here and there
  • michellemcdonaldhenderson
    Options
    SALT is my WEAKNESS!!! Don't care about sweets, etc. but my salt intake is WAY TO HIGH even when I am logging....
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    There really is no reason to give up any food other than recommended by a doctor for a specific medical reason. If you enjoy sugar, soda, salt, and alcohol and you don't have a medical reason to restrict them, find ways to work them into your day in moderation.
  • SnM4ever1111
    SnM4ever1111 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've really been trying, but I'm so naughty when it comes to my salt & alcohol! I save up calories during the day so my husband & I can have a drink (or 2) after getting the kids settled for the night. My salt cravings are through the roof though! I bring bullion cubes to work & have a cup of broth so I don't eat chips!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I've really been trying, but I'm so naughty when it comes to my salt & alcohol! I save up calories during the day so my husband & I can have a drink (or 2) after getting the kids settled for the night. My salt cravings are through the roof though! I bring bullion cubes to work & have a cup of broth so I don't eat chips!

You are consuming FAR more sodium by drinking bouillon cubes than you would by eating potato chips...

http://www.gbhealthwatch.com/Nutrient-Sodium-TopFoods.php
  • SnM4ever1111
    SnM4ever1111 Posts: 9 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I know... but a ton less calories. Plus, if I start eating chips, I don't stop!
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    There really is no reason to give up any food other than recommended by a doctor for a specific medical reason. If you enjoy sugar, soda, salt, and alcohol and you don't have a medical reason to restrict them, find ways to work them into your day in moderation.
    Moderation is the key. I was a wino and a tequila nut drinking way too much every day. The sugar in wine is more than I thought and all the work out and exercise just went to getting rid of the alcohol and no other real benefit for me.

So for me giving up Alcohol was the hardest and remains the hardest a year later. I will have a beer or two once in a while but not to the extent I had been drinking. Food wise my vice was Cheeze-its. I'd eat a box at a time.
  • shattrdillusion
    Options
    I've teased people about buying them salt licks as presents, I know a few people who may secretly bring boullion cubes too (although they'd never own up to it)!

I refuse to give anything up but I go through phases where I can't get enough salt, or sugar. Or I just want to down an entire bottle of wine. Or inhale an entire pizza.

If I go too far over I force myself to work out, elliptical workouts after several glasses of wine are always amusing!
  • F1tnessCh1ck
    F1tnessCh1ck Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I do it... a lot, I mean give up foods and stuff. But chocolate is the most difficult thing for me. My protein shakes are chocolate and I made protein browies last night to help. I've been splurging a bit too much on the dark chocolate this past week :neutral_face:
  • TracyeS4
    TracyeS4 Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is my vice, also. I decided to cut it out through January. Half way there! My progress is definitely much better when I am not drinking. That way I am avoiding empty calories and I am able to control my cravings better. Man, when I drink... I just want something fried and/or fatty.

Also, I know that a 6oz glass is good for your heart and everything is fine in moderation. But man, once I start drinking wine I can not stop. If I open a bottle, it will be gone.
  • krdews
    krdews Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Skip the sodas and pass on the desserts... I get weak in the knees on salty, crunchy snacks and vino! If I buy, I buy an individual pack not a large bag 'cause I don't stop until I hit bottom. Only recommendation I have is, don't buy them - I know easier said than done, but that will reduce the intake. Wine is another story, I've zero plans to give up that vice - period. I allow myself one glass a night during the week (there are days when I just don't care to have a glass) and on weekends I have 2-3 (and there are times when I have none at all or just one). I realize, when I say I can't have something that I enjoy, I just crave it more - so I don't deny. It's an unrealistic goal for me personally and I'd be setting myself up for failure.
  • Volleyangie8
    Options
    I have many "vices" I'd done really well back in 2010-2011, went from 215 lbs to 150 lbs. At the time I had become a Zumba Instructor and was doing Herbalife shakes twice a day alone with 2-3 small meals. The fat melted off and I was healthier than ever. Today I am back up to 185, I don't have time to teach Zumba, but found a late night Salsa class and have started doing that 4 times a week. Debating getting back on the Herbalife bandwagon.
    My "vices" though are also alcohol, any creamy cheesy sauces, salt, breads, pastas and chocolate!
  • jaxi09
    jaxi09 Posts: 2
    Options
    Alcohol is my biggest weakness! By no means am I an alcoholic, but I like having a couple beers after work and on the weekends. I know it's bad for me and is holding me back from losing my gut, but I give in. How do you flip that switch in your brain and just say no??
  • elizabethdeken
    elizabethdeken Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    TracyeS4 wrote: »
    Alcohol is my vice, also. I decided to cut it out through January. Half way there! My progress is definitely much better when I am not drinking. That way I am avoiding empty calories and I am able to control my cravings better. Man, when I drink... I just want something fried and/or fatty.

Also, I know that a 6oz glass is good for your heart and everything is fine in moderation. But man, once I start drinking wine I can not stop. If I open a bottle, it will be gone.

Yep, this is me. Miraculously I had one margarita last night and stopped. But usually if I have 1, I want 2,3, and then chips. Tortilla chips and any sweet baked chocolate are my weaknesses. I literally can't exercise moderation with chips or brownies.
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have many "vices" I'd done really well back in 2010-2011, went from 215 lbs to 150 lbs. At the time I had become a Zumba Instructor and was doing Herbalife shakes twice a day alone with 2-3 small meals. The fat melted off and I was healthier than ever. Today I am back up to 185, I don't have time to teach Zumba, but found a late night Salsa class and have started doing that 4 times a week. Debating getting back on the Herbalife bandwagon.
    My "vices" though are also alcohol, any creamy cheesy sauces, salt, breads, pastas and chocolate!

Our story and vices are very similar.
  • PerkisPower
    PerkisPower Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Right on target for me...

Monday morning through Friday at 5:00 PM, I hit my exact calorie limits and eat extremely clean on a strict plan. Then Friday night comes and I usually end up drinking with friends. I always get hungry after I drink so I will then stop by Taco Bell at 3 am and consume a great deal of food. Wake up Saturday morning and too hungover to work out then I end up drinking Saturday night, come home and make more food to eat. Too hungover Sunday morning to workout and the process repeats each week. I also drink liquor with diet coke to cut calories but that only helps so much.

Only have circa 7 pounds I want to lose but rather difficult to do so with alcohol involved. Been attempting to cut the drinking to once a week latelylately. Hopefully this will cut the damage done to my fitness goals. Wish I could find a way to not be so hungry after I drink.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    I know... but a ton less calories. Plus, if I start eating chips, I don't stop!

Yes, you are saving tons of calories by not eating the chips, but what I would suggest is start tapering down the salt intake slowly. Use 3/4 of a bullion cube then go down to 1/2. The less you have salt the less you crave it. Don't try to give it up; just cut back.
  • Sylvarose
    Sylvarose Posts: 70 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sodium is hard for me. I love salt. So I've been practicing on just cooking with low sodium or reduced sodium options. Also I eat light salted nuts as snacks on occasion. What helps me is to be more mindful of what I'm eating and really really try and concentrate on the salty flavor so I can appreciate it. However, if I truly am not satisfied I'll add a little more.

Chocolate I don't give up but again I do a glass of unsweetened chocolate almond milk, or a small square of good quality dark chocolate (not hersheys) and that will satisfy me. If I want alcohol I either plan it in for the day with calories or I plan it for a day when it's a "holiday" when I know I'm not going to be sticking as close to my goals as usual anyway.

I agree with the others who say they don't give up anything. That's one thing I've learned and agree with in Geneen Roth books (recommended to my by a dietician) unless there's a medical reason -denying yourself anything can be a way to set yourself up to fail. I don't know if it works for everyone but it works for me.

The more I give myself "permission" to have something the better I am ate eating in moderation. Even on days where I slip and feel like I've gone overboard. When I actually log it...what I've discovered is that I'm not actually as "bad" as I thought..not nearly as "bad" as I used to be (i.e eat the whole bag, the whole pizza, the jar, etc...).

SR
  • notcorky
    notcorky Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Alcohol. Alcohol. Alcohol. I can not drink and lose weight. I'm on a 30 day no alcohol challenge right now. Alcohol is like chips to me - can't have just one (or 5!).