Healthy Chinese Food Choices?

Options
Hello! I've been doing great for the last few weeks cooking at home and meeting my calorie goals for the day. Family wants Chinese take out tonight...what are some healthier options? Thank you!

Replies

• mgrimes517
    mgrimes517 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I was told that egg fu yung and mixed veggies. I was wondering if I ordered the steamed chicken with mixed veggies if that was good? Also, questioning moo goo gai pan?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Stir fry is great. It's a lot of veggies and some lean protein with rice or noodles. If you're actually getting take out you need to watch out how oily it is, though. Sometimes they use a lot of it and it really ups the calorie count.
  • kevinmacpa
    kevinmacpa Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Chinese food are actually not that bad. Most dishes are packed with vegetables and have some protein and fat. They might be high In sodium but I usually don't pay too much attention to sodium unless I need to shed the water weight.

The only problem with Chinese food is you need to exercise portion control. Chinese food are not served per person, you order them by dishes. For a family of 4, you might need to order 5 or 6 varieties of dishes, and don't think that's for one meal only. If you do not want to over eat, those 5 to 6 dishes with rice or fried noodles is enough for 2 to 3 meals.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My go-to is Won Ton soup. North American chinese has an awful lot of (fried) calories.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Stir fry is great. It's a lot of veggies and some lean protein with rice or noodles. If you're actually getting take out you need to watch out how oily it is, though. Sometimes they use a lot of it and it really ups the calorie count.

You could possibly dab off some of the oil with a napkin or something.

• preciousEMT
    preciousEMT Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do steamed chicken or shrimp and broccoli or mixed veggies. Egg drop soup isn't bad or clear soup if they have it.
  • mom2mcjc
    mom2mcjc Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hot & sour soup, steamed veggie spring rolls.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    steamed veggies & steamed chicken. yum! :smile:
  • stephiehun7
    Options
    Stay away from lo mein, egg rolls, fried rice, and anything in that sticky sweet sauce, like general tso or orange chicken. I had kung pao chicken the other day, and it wasn't bad, calorie-wise.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I usually get something that is not fried and comes with lots of veggies (beef & broccoli, shrimp with vegetable). I eat all of the meat & veg and just a couple bites of rice, no noodles.

Works out great.

Sometimes I even get the really "bad" kind of Chinese though...still not a huge issue. Today for lunch I had General Tso chicken...just ate the chicken and some steamed vegetables, with 2 tiny bites of rice. Yes the chicken was fried and drowning in salty, sugary sauce. But it wasn't a huge portion (lunch) and without rice or egg rolls it's not honestly the worst thing :-)
  • DizzyMom815
    DizzyMom815 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Many Chinese take out places will make any dish steamed instead of fried and sauce on the side is always a good option.