How to lose weight while nursing.

Options
I need help to lose weight. I currently weigh 161 and want to be at 130. I know that I can only lose about a lb a week to maintain my supply. How do I do this? I'm also 5'2.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Maybe set your goal to half pound a week at first. I believe there's a breastfeeding category in the exercise bank. If not, I'd add in at least 250-500 calories and eat those back. Just be sure to clear it with your doc before starting to eat at a purposeful deficit. And be sure that baby is gaining weight appropriately. Even if you keep your supply up, you want to make sure you're eating enough to get all the right nutrients to baby. Perhaps a visit to a lactation consultant or a registered dietician is in order as well prior to starting anything.
  • Fuamami
    Fuamami Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'd set it at 1/2 pound, too, just because I would be miserable otherwise:). I've never been so hungry in my life as when I was nursing a baby! Or maybe try to create a deficit with exercise only?
  • mommymissy82
    mommymissy82 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am currently breastfeeding as well and dropping about 2 pounds a week. I also do not eat extra calories as my ob has told me it is not true which was very surprising as my first 2 kids I was told too, third time around, new ob, and told me not too. I eat about 1300 calories and exercise daily
  • mommymissy82
    mommymissy82 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am also probably one of GE few that breastfeeding actually causes me to gain weight...all three times
  • NorthernCardinal
    NorthernCardinal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I ebf and though i gained back some weight due 5o illness and indulgence, i lost 10lbs through eating whole foods, and exercising. It only took 2 mo ths to drop 10lbs, I did moderate exercise so as not to affect my milk supply, and made sure to drink 2litresof water perday, if not more. Its important when breastfeeding to make sure you're consuming enough healthy fats and protein, otherwise your milk loses fat content (i had noticeably less fatty milk at one point during a week I didnt eat enough fats, like avocado, olive oil, nuts etc.)
  • NorthernCardinal
    Options
    Sorry for typos^^^
  • NorthernCardinal
    Options
    Gaini g while breastfeeding is actually really common, i know a ton of people who gained, its because youre so hungry, and because some babies feed A LOT lol, so you're limited with movement
  • Pascal56
    Pascal56 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Actually, breastmilk composition depends very little on diet, but I do agree that hitting fat and protein targets is a good idea anyway, for your own satiety if nothing else. I've lost 40 pounds while nursing. I set my target to -1 pound per week but then added 500 calories for breastfeeding right back in so I'm essentially eating at what would be maintenance if I weren't nursing, and still losing.