Zumba Class

Options
Does anyone know how many calories you would burn doing a 1 hour Zumba class?

Replies

• slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    that depends on a lot...like how much you weigh, your gender, etc. Isn't Zumba like dance? Use a calorie burned calculator and find an activity that is similar. That's my suggestion...
  • bamafancp
    bamafancp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My Zumba instructor told me that if you work really hard for the hour, you burn 500-600 calories. It does however depend on you! I have been doing Zumba a year and a half now and have never felt better in my life!
  • makeachange22
    makeachange22 Posts: 151
    Options
    depends on how much effort you put in, but probably a good 700 not lieing if you put in a HUGE amount of effort, i sweat like crazy in zumba and can hardly breathe when i'm done and my legs burn like crazy .. :)
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    There's a huge range, but I'm 190 and 5'4 and I know the routines and going at a pretty high intensity. I burn roughly 500-600 calories in 50 minutes.
  • xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Im a newbie at zumba and already a zumba fan! I heard it burns 600-1000 caleries! Which i honestly believe, If i do 50 minutes at the Gym I burn 500 caleries and barely work up a sweat. When I come out of Zumba I am dripping with sweat (a bit disgusting) and my face is red and I look like im suburnt - I also feel the effects the next day. So from that I conclude that i burn more than my average gym session. Someone might say I cant base it on that...but i know my body!
  • dekarlo08
    dekarlo08 Posts: 102
    Options
    It depends on the person. I use a heart rate monitor and I burned 495 calories in calss last night, and I left after 33 minutes. In my defense I has already taken a spin class :)
  • ashleighasbury
    Options
    tons and tons of calories. 500 sounds pretty good to me. :) you just have to really get into it.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i do 10 calories per minute, as long as im working out really hard.
  • rexkt
    rexkt Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It's pretty accurate if you log it as "dance modern aerobic" ranges 500-600 for an hour. If you wanna be completely positive you can also get a HR monitor..but they can be pricey:( I usually do zumba 3x a week but on my zumba days I do 20mins of circuit training like resistance bands and ab workouts to give me that extra kick!
  • bexsiebaby
    bexsiebaby Posts: 1
    Options
    HI
    i am a massive Zumba addict and am due to up my classes to 4 sessions possibly 5 per week.

I read somewheere you can burn anywhere between 500-800 but not sure only what I have read?!
  • blessedmomof8
    blessedmomof8 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I burn a different amount every time. It depends on how much I work myself. I use Zumba dvds and a heart rate watch. I did notice that it does seem similar to 'aerobics low impact' on my slow days or 'aerobics high impact' on the days I worked myself more. Hope this helps. :happy:
  • rdennett
    rdennett Posts: 3
    Options
    I've only just started going, so am still learning the routines. I absolutely love it though and you don't even realise you are exercising because it's so much fun! Sweat loads though. Wish there were more classes in my area that I could take as I am addicted now!!
  • nikkijedlo
    nikkijedlo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Per my heart rate monitor, I'm usually 450-550/hour. My sister is usually 650-750/hour. Physically, we are very similar and both have the same un-coordination (lol). We bust our butts in class, really get into it, and are dripping with sweat by the end. So, as you can see, it varies per person. Before my heart rate monitor, I would put it under aerobic exercise. MFP grossly overestimated my calories burned. I'm soooo happy to have a hrm now so that I get an accurate count from my workouts. It was totally worth the $70. I got a Polar FT4 from Amazon a couple months ago.

Signed, a fellow Zumba addict ;)
  • mslaurahamilton
    Options
    I go with 500. Sometimes you might be a little under, sometimes you might be a little over, but unless you're really not making an effort, that's a good average.