Training for 1/2 marathon - need nutrition advice and support

Options
I'm training for a 1/2 marathon this year and need some help with nutrition. Any advice on pre-race preparations and what to bring during the race. Thanks!

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    My main advice would be to train your fuel, so no changes on the day.

For a run of that distance, I'll eat porridge and a couple of pieces of fruit an hour or so beforehand. On a training run I'll carry water, but no fuel. For my last race I took a gel every 5km, but that's very personal.

I guess the key is how much running you do already and what's your fueling strategy for shorter races?
  • yellowradiates
    yellowradiates Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on picking such a great goal. I agree on your long training runs eat the same breakfast you will have run day and use the same fuel and fuel frequency.

I also have oatmeal,1T nuts & 1/2 a banana or blueberries prior to a long run. On my training runs that are more then an 1hr 15min I fuel every 45 minutes. I like gels on race day and always carry a couple extra incase run takes longer then expected or it is hot. On all training runs I always carry water and fuel (cliff bar or electrolyte beans) just the way I learned to run, be prepared. RunnersWorld,Canadian Running or Women's Running all have different tips for types of fuel & fuelling. As Meandering said depends on you, use training run to play with fuel type and timing and journal how you feel. Your body will let you know :-)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    As with anything else, practice makes perfect. A 1/2 shouldn't require much outside of normal eating/drinking/rest, so don't get too worked up about it. But try a few things during your training sessions to see what you like and what you don't. Most people think they need far more than they really do, but it's never a bad thing to have a little something with you just in case... just don't end up relying on it.

Depending on how you're eating, you may want to increase carbs a bit for a few days leading up to the race, but that's also largely personal preference.
  • bos10fit
    bos10fit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hey Chesney Chick,

I completed a half marathon for the first time last year as well as a full marathon. Now, if you read up on the internet, a lot of sources will tell you carbo load carbo load carb load. Then there are some sources that tell you, you don't need to carbo load much for distances longer than 10 miles.

If you google Hal Higdon, you will find half marathon information for noobies as well as a training schedule which I followed.

When you're training, try to do your training runs at the same time the half marathon will be starting. This will help you predict on how your body will react on race day.

Dietary wise, you don't need to really switch up much from what you're doing now. The day before just have a few more refined carbs.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    When you're training, try to do your training runs at the same time the half marathon will be starting. This will help you predict on how your body will react on race day.

Dietary wise, you don't need to really switch up much from what you're doing now. The day before just have a few more refined carbs.

^^^ This. If you have a good routine/diet for your long training runs, why change what has been working? Also, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Water mostly with some electrolyte beverages.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

^^^ This. If you have a good routine/diet for your long training runs, why change what has been working? Also, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Water mostly with some electrolyte beverages.

I disagree with this, esp if you have problems with cramping. Adequate fluids (not excessive) and mostly electrolytes, not straight water.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Nothing new on race day! Anything you think you will need that day needs to be tried out ahead of time. And if it takes you 3 hours like it does me, and it is a hot day, don't drink just plain water the whole time... omg. Drink something with electrolytes at some point.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making that a goal. I will say I cried the first time I crossed the finish line. HAA! It was such a great experience for me. I hope you have the same luck. :D

I have run several 1/2 marathons and getting ready to run a full in about 1 1/2 weeks. I use cliff blocks and jelly belly energy beans. I always use those on my long runs as practice if you will. I want to make sure my body is used to that. Nothing new on race day or even the night or two before. That is just a personal thing for me. You could end up in a not so wonderful situation.

My go to race day breakfast is oatmeal and fruit.

Side note...even if you think you don't have to use the bathroom before the race...get in line anyway! Race Day bathroom lines suck! :D
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

I disagree with this, esp if you have problems with cramping. Adequate fluids (not excessive) and mostly electrolytes, not straight water.

Feel free to disagree, this is based upon my experience training and running. I found that too many electrolyte beverages just made me more thirty rather than quenching my thirst like water did.
  • TriNoob
    TriNoob Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

Feel free to disagree, this is based upon my experience training and running. I found that too many electrolyte beverages just made me more thirty rather than quenching my thirst like water did.

You feel thirstier because of the sodium...that doesn't mean you aren't hydrated.

It's pretty basic science - which happens to be greater than anecdotes, by the way. You don't sweat out plain water, so you need to replace those lost electrolytes for endurance events, else you will cramp or worse. Isotonic solutions are more readily absorbed and promote better fluid balance.

Too much hydration/nutrition and you have GI issues; too little and you have performance issues, or worse.
  • ChesneyChick77
    ChesneyChick77 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I have been running outdoors a couple of years, but have worked my way up to 10 miles recently (broke out of my comfort zone of 6 miles). I've completed many 5k's and several 10k's. I also do long runs on the weekend (5 to 8 miles) and the gym on the nights I don't run.

I have searched on You Tube and watched videos with all sorts of advice, and it seems the common thread is to bring gel packs and water. I don't really like gel packs - it's a texture thing. Do KIND bars do the trick or nuts? Pre-race I usually eat oatmeal or a banana, which I see is very popular on here!

Roxiegirl2008 - you give some great advice about the bathrooms and I am sure I will cry, too! My first half will be at Disney World in October. They say there's no crying at Disney, but what about happy tears?

Thanks, again, fellow runners!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I have been running outdoors a couple of years, but have worked my way up to 10 miles recently (broke out of my comfort zone of 6 miles). I've completed many 5k's and several 10k's. I also do long runs on the weekend (5 to 8 miles) and the gym on the nights I don't run.

I have searched on You Tube and watched videos with all sorts of advice, and it seems the common thread is to bring gel packs and water. I don't really like gel packs - it's a texture thing. Do KIND bars do the trick or nuts? Pre-race I usually eat oatmeal or a banana, which I see is very popular on here!

Roxiegirl2008 - you give some great advice about the bathrooms and I am sure I will cry, too! My first half will be at Disney World in October. They say there's no crying at Disney, but what about happy tears?

Thanks, again, fellow runners!

I have done 3 Princess 1/2 marathons at Disney. Just like everything Disney does it was a magical experience. Yes there are a lot of runners so it is not a place that I would try to set a record it is just a place enjoy the moment there. Yep I cried when Mickey gave me my medal each time. I even hugged Minnie one year! :D You have to make time to stop at the castle for a picture. You will have so much fun!

• DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I don't really like gel packs - it's a texture thing. Do KIND bars do the trick or nuts?

It depends on what you are doing. If you are out there doing a Galloway walk-run half you may be able to do KIND bars or something similar, but if you are running the whole time most people can't handle solid food while racing. Not all gels are the same; I hate GU but love Hammer gel so I suggest trying a couple different brands. There are also blocks, sports beans, and additives that you can add to your drink. Experiment during your training runs to find what works for you.

I don't do well eating before I run but for a half I will take a gel about 10 minutes before race start and a second one about 45 minutes in.
  • bos10fit
    bos10fit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Gels... if you're gonna use them on race day train with them. They upset some people's stomachs aka the runs while running.

And if you do go with gels no electrolyte beverages.

If you don't use gels make sure you do get your electrolyte beverages.

Also, caffeine was used in a study of runners Google it can't remember which one and said it also gives a boost.

I trained with a preworkout with caffeine and at the half way of the full marathon had a scoop and felt FABULOUS after. Everyone's bodies are different. It's about what works for you. If you have a low caffeine tolerance I would avoid at all costs.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I don't really like gel packs - it's a texture thing. Do KIND bars do the trick or nuts? Pre-race I usually eat oatmeal or a banana, which I see is very popular on here!
    Most people will generally suggest faster digesting foods than nuts. I'm a big fan or rice crispy treats, personally.

But as David said above... there are tons of different gels out there. The honey stinger ones are VERY similar to honey, and might be worth trying. Unless it's the consistency that bothers you, then I'd look at energy blocks or jelly beans or something. Heck, I've taken 1/2 a PB&J with me during races before.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    bos10fit wrote: »
    Gels... if you're gonna use them on race day train with them. They upset some people's stomachs aka the runs while running.

And if you do go with gels no electrolyte beverages.

If you don't use gels make sure you do get your electrolyte beverages.

Also, caffeine was used in a study of runners Google it can't remember which one and said it also gives a boost.

I trained with a preworkout with caffeine and at the half way of the full marathon had a scoop and felt FABULOUS after. Everyone's bodies are different. It's about what works for you. If you have a low caffeine tolerance I would avoid at all costs.

I'm a big believer in caffeine, too. I look for gels specifically with high caffeine/sodium levels.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options

I don't fuel during a half. (Well, whatever sport drink.)

For full marathons and all-day bike rides, I have found that gels sink my stomach like a brick. I prefer Clif Shot Blox (which are like a gummy bear but bigger) and Sport Beans or plain old jelly beans. On a bike trip, I'll take along a Clif Bar or some Fig Newtons.

If you want to take nutrition for your race, why not start testing out different options on your longer runs? The only way to find out what works for you is to experiment!
  • FireStorm1972
    FireStorm1972 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    I have my 1st 1/2 in May. I run 5k/10k/5k during mid week, and run 21k on Saturdays. Now I've followed the hal Higdons Novice 2. Question is I finished it early and have been running my 21k long run every Saturday for the last month, should I be backing off on the distance on the weekend and save it for race day? My legs feel not bad on Sundays.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I have my 1st 1/2 in May. I run 5k/10k/5k during mid week, and run 21k on Saturdays. Now I've followed the hal Higdons Novice 2. Question is I finished it early and have been running my 21k long run every Saturday for the last month, should I be backing off on the distance on the weekend and save it for race day? My legs feel not bad on Sundays.

You should taper for a week, maybe two before a half. You'd be better served in the meantime to keep upping your long runs (up to 25k or so) and add in some speed work for one of your shorter runs.
  • vhoneynyc
    vhoneynyc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'd skip someone's recomendation of carrying water. It will be annoying to carry it in either hand or in fanny pack.

Organizations likely have watering stations so that you can quench your thirst in the middle of the run.