Protein Powder and Breastfeeding

Options
Hi All, I have started to have green smoothies in the morning to kick start my day, but am left not fully satisfied, or hungry again within a short period of time. I'd like to add a good natural protein powder to my smoothie but I am still nursing my son and need to ensure this is a safe item to add to my diet.

Does anyone have experience with this, or can recommend a good powder to try out... also should mention I have a dairy sensitivity.

Thanks !

Replies

• La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    you might want to contact a lactation consultant to get a recommendation. the powder i have says specifically not for b/feeding or pregnant women. instead of adding powder, you could add a banana, eat a Lara bar alongside, or drink two of the ones you make now. if you're b/feeding, you can afford a bit more calories.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    BTW, welcome to Texas! feel free to friend request me if you like; i'm also in Houston. :smile:
  • nwtrailmom
    Options
    We've used RAW protein powder (it's organic and brown rice protein). That helps add a good protein source and is more satisfying but it does have a grainy texture I never really liked. And it's expensive. A lot of the other ones are whey based with artificial sweeteners, etc, that's the most wholesome one I have found.

Another idea is to add oatmeal (or chia seeds, flax seeds, nuts, tahini, etc, depending on what nutrition you want out of your breakfast), extra fullness definitely can be found there.

If you like eggs, maybe just have a dozen hard-boiled ones to snack on or have with breakfast. It takes a lot of the work out, and just eating the whites helps to get extra protein in.
  • jentroconis77
    jentroconis77 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, I did actually get some "Garden of Life Raw Fit" however it contains svetol, which is a no no when preggers or nursing.

I have been using chia and hemp hearts as well as banana in my shakes and it seems to be doing a better job.

I'll try the hard boiled eggs, easy if you just boil them all at once for a few days, makes it time efficient.