How do you get your protein in?

Options
I have recently been trying to pay more attention to my protein intake, since it was suggested that I try to eat 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. I am finding it really difficult to get even close to the 100 or so grams I would need.

Before, a typical day for me would be cereal for breakfast, 2 oz of turkey breast on a sandwich for lunch, and my dinners vary. Yesterday, I changed to Greek yogurt with granola for breakfast (14g of protein vs. the 2g I used to get in my cereal), and I had 4 oz of turkey instead of only 2 oz. to double the protein. Dinner was chicken sausage and veggies. By the end of the day I was only at 64g.

I'm just not sure what I should try to add to get 36+ additional grams in, when I already feel satisfied with my meals and my calories are usually right on. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Replies

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of eggs, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt. I also drink a GNC lean shake 5 days a week. The 3 days a week that I do heavy weightlifting I eat a protein bar before I go to the gym.
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Interested to see the reponses to this. I've also been trying to up my protein and it's not easy. I usually have a protein shake or eggs for breakfast, and 3 oz of protein for lunch. I've just added 3oz of chicken to my a.m. snack and 3 oz of low sodium turkey deli meat to my p.m. snack to try and get more protein in, but still am not reaching my protein goal. I've heard greek yogurt is a good source but I can't stand the taste of it!
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    eggs, beef jerky, chicken, nuts, seeds, turkey sausage, protein shakes, cheese.
  • adge1475
    adge1475 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I feel like I eat a stupid amount of protein, particularly animal protein, for someone who doesn't really even like meat that much. Anyway, my main protein sources throughout one example day come from some or all of the following:

Protein powder, protein bars, peanut butter, cheese, chicken breast, ground turkey, ground sausage, whole eggs, egg whites, and greek yogurt.
  • lyzxyzzy
    lyzxyzzy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Shakes, peanut butter, cottage cheese, meat, oats, flax seed, beans, quinoa.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Eggs, chicken, greek yogurts, protein powders, nuts, protein bars
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I eat a packet of Starkist tuna pretty much every day at lunch.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWKtnOgRwAablyeIA_kBY8jlhE3mSHXRyUSqLgPTLL7RqGNDTBpwfH5vw

In all seriousness, I try to have protein at every meal and snack...I start every morning with 1 whole egg and the equivalent of 3 eggs from a carton of egg whites...I usually also have a serving of Coach's Oats which gives me another 6 grams or so.

I usually have some kind of beef, pork, poultry, or fish with lunch and dinner. I eat Greek Yogurt regularly for a snack and usually supplement with one protein shake daily to hit my marks.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    eggs, lots of chicken, almonds, protein shakes, tuna, tilapia, quinoa, Greek yogurt
  • o2ritson71
    o2ritson71 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    im a vegetation & i get about 150g - 200g a day but i eat about 4000 calories to get that
    cottage cheese
    greek yogurt
    quorn
    peanut butter
    whey shake
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I don't monitor protein intake at all (altho mfp does it for me, ha). BUT it's in nearly every food, and I doubt a single person in a westernized country is lacking in protein. :P
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Egg whites
    Chicken sausage
    Chicken
    Salmon
    Steak
    Turkey breast
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Nut butters
    Soy protein powder
    Flaxseed

• getstrongkaylen
    getstrongkaylen Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt, chicken, eggs, lean beef, and hummus... I LOVE HUMMUS!, oh and peanut butter- i like to that with a banana!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Pre log your day, and build your meals round the protein. I can easily get 100g in, but then I do have at least 1700 cals to work with!
  • NeedAttention
    Options
    I do 3 protein shakes a day. Morning, one after my work out and one about an hour before bed. You have to find a tasty one though. :)
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    cheese, tuna, shrimp, beef jerky, cottage cheese, eggs
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Egg whites
    Chicken sausage
    Chicken
    Salmon
    Steak
    Turkey breast
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Nut butters
    Soy protein powder
    Flaxseed

My morning smoothy consists of milk, greek yogurt, blueberries, strawberries, and protein powder. I attempt to get my protein in with whole foods, and fill out the need with protein shakes. You can also make stuff with protein powder- pancakes= eggs, protein powder, and maybe a banana... there are tons of recipes out there...
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I eat chicken, beef, fish, turkey, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, dry roasted edamame, and protein shakes/bars.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and had trouble meeting my protein requirements for a long time. I am also allergic to milk, eggs, and yogurt so it was tricky to find a solution. To meet the requirement, I now drink an Orgain vegan shake a day - I put it in the blender and add 4oz of almond or coconut milk, and add a scope of Garden of Life organic plant protein powder, and a tbsp of Udo's 3 6 9 oil. I have that in the morning. Throughout the day I eat nuts and quinoa. If I haven't achieved my goal after dinner I will usually have another Orgain shake, without the add ins. If you blend the Orgain it becomes thick and is like an ice cream milkshake, so it doubles as dessert lol.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I do: whole oats and protein powder for breakfast, chicken and cheese for snack, tuna on whole grain bread and dense veggies for lunch, cottage cheese and peanuts for snack, leafy green salad and chicken, beans, and rice for dinner, and some peanut butter for dessert. every little bit helps. look and compare the nutrition facts when you're shopping. :) it's actually fun.

you can also go to http://www.eatthismuch.com and set up your intake level and then modify the protein macros for more ideas. (some of their suggestions are a bit pricey, but it still gives you an idea.)