How do you get your protein in?

Options
2»

Replies

• dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Eggs, garbonzo beans, nuts, low-fat diary such as Greek 0% and string cheese, fish, chicken, turkey, lean beef and pork at one meal.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I think you are having trouble because your breakfast seems to have little to no protein. Try eating eggs and turkey sausage! And add in a protein shake or bars!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You are already incorporating with every meal; bravo. I was wondering if 100g was high but I see mine is set at 94. If I've had a rough day to get the protein in I would have a Premier Protein shake for 30g of protein.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Egg whites, chia seeds, flax, veggies, cheese, nuts, nut butters, seeds, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, chicken, turkey, pork, seafood, hummus, beans, whole grains. I have no problems getting in my protein. I'm always over.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I get mine from a combination of:

Quest Bars (If you do a protein bar, makes sure it's high quality. I don't consider a candy bar with 10 g protein a "protein bar." Sorry Special K.)
    Protein Powder
    Eggs and/or egg whites
    Peanut butter
    Chicken
    Beef
    Pork
    Turkey
    Tuna
    Greek yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Cheese

I eat at least 1850 calories per day, with a daily average of 2000-2150, and I get in at least 100 grams per day, but my goal is to reach body weight in grams or even more. I think the highest I've been is in the 170s, and I weigh 121 lbs. I love me some protein.
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of meat at all - I get my protein in with nuts, beans, eggs, cheese, etc.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    definitely look at adding whey protein "shakes" plenty of Greek yogurt... boiled eggs... and nuts.. particularly almonds and walnuts... BUT be careful on the nuts... as good as they may be... the calories are CRAZY... I usually fit 10-20 almonds/week. and it helps if you look at things from a weekly average intake as opposed to a daily intake.. that way you can increase your variety without feeling like you should be eating 2 lbs of tofurkey every day :)
  • crewcretic
    Options
    0% fat natural Greek style
    Almonds
    Brazils
    Chicken
    Beans (Black eyed, Red kidney, Flageolet, Borlotti - mainly in soups)
    Peanut butterrrrrr!!!

...yep :)
  • BethLiam1
    BethLiam1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Protein at every meal for me..
    B-Anything i eat pairs with a dannon light and fit greek Yogurt
    Snack--a quest protein bar 20g protein only 1g sugar and 4 net carbs..
    lunch lean turkey or tuna
    dinner if im eating something other than chicken i end my meal with some low fat cheese sticks..
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I like eggs, low fat milk, turkey jerky/peperoni, and fish for adding extra protein. If you like cereal for breakfast, look at one with more protein. My special k has 7 grams, they make one with even more but I'm allergic to it. 7 grams still isn't a lot but it's more than the 2 grams you were getting. Every little bit adds up.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    You can add raw liquid egg whites to everything. I do mean everything. Shakes, orange juice, milk, grits, oatmeal, stir fry, whatever floats your boat. It's good clean protein, I lived off it when I had to consume 200+ g protein a day.
  • hkk1atwork
    hkk1atwork Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is an excellent question. Protein is very important to weight control. Turkey is good for lunch and dinner. Chicken and fish are also good. Protein shakes are good, but be sure they have at 15+ grams per serving and check the label because most are loaded with sugar to improve the taste. Ice cream made with protein power and almond milk (soy milk if you prefer) and frozen fruit is a great treat. Eggs are good - I usually have hard boiled eggs sliced on my salad for lunch and dinner. Greek yogurt is good also, but check the label as most have lots of added sugar. Adding fruit (use your own fresh or frozen) and/or powdered drink mix (like you add to flavor water) improves the flavor. Pasta dishes with quinoa instead of pasta is a good source of protein too. Soy beans in salads or with mixed veggies is also a good source. Because I'm a desert person, I also make a protein candy using oats, honey, peanut butter and chocolate protein powder. Protein energy bars can be good, but check the ingredients. Some that I have looked at have more sugar than protein.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    "How do you get your protein in?"

Orally. I do not enjoy the suppository version.
  • tmg446
    tmg446 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, eggs, protein powder, yogurt, milk, tuna, almonds, Home made oatmeal/protein bars.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    People need to stop recommending nuts, seriously (pet peeve, lol). Veggies are a better source of protein, to give you an idea...

Chicken sausage isn't a great source of protein either, to be honest, at least compared to regular chicken or beef.

But anyway, I don't even try and still go over my goal (100g of protein really) most days. Greek yogurt, lunch meat, protein tortillas (9g of protein for 80-90 calories), eggs, meat, fish, shrimp, cheese, lots of veggies...
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Pre log your day, and build your meals round the protein. I can easily get 100g in, but then I do have at least 1700 cals to work with!
    I also prelog, and I try to eat a protien rich food with each meal. I aim for 70g a day.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Lentil soup, split pea soup, black bean chili, roasted chickpeas, and every other bean. Quest bars.