UGH so fed up with myself

Options
I am just getting fatter and fatter. I bought Ideal Shape Shake meal replacement, of course it gives my throat a funny feeling so I"m not going to take it anymore, $60 down the drain. I am trying to eat good, but I just am having a hard time. Last night I ate chips and two rice krispy squares, why, I don't know. I'm completely at a loss. Completely. Need to exercise I know this, it is finding time between work and my kids cheerleading practice and comps. I just feel so down right now. So gross.

Replies

• sweetkygirl
    sweetkygirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You can add me! Today I want sweets more than ever! I am getting very cranky. I have not deprived myself completely. I try to eat things that are pre-packaged or already prepared and can be counted calorie wise. It has helped a lot. For instance I can eat an individual bag of chips but not get a full size bag. Or granola bar and put the box away and hide it. You can do this it takes time!
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You don't need any meal replacements. Create a deficit in MFP, get yourself a food scale and get to counting and logging. That's all it takes. Weight loss is more mental than it is anything else. Don't feel down and don't feel gross. It's not helping. Just get to work.
  • daisyls85
    daisyls85 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am very busy also with 3 kids, full time work and school. I work the gym in as many days as possible but life doesn't always make it possible. The one thing I can control is my calorie intake. As long as I stick to my daily limit I will continue to lose, even without getting to the gym everyday. The gym may speed the process but what you eat is most crucial. Once you get a hang of your cal goals you can work in the other stuff! Also, I wouldn't use any replacements, just eat within your limit and you won't need the rest.

Add me if you want for support. I lost 50 lbs 2 yrs ago doing what I just mentioned and am now back after Baby 2 and 3 to do it again!!
  • arrielle10
    Options
    Just Start Right NOW.

Let go of whatever you did yesterday, and last week and five minutes ago, and just reset.

Log everything. I struggle with the end of the day, after I put my son to bed. I try to make good choices but I always want to eat junk food. On the days I completely mess up, I force myself to log it anyway.

I also try to drink lots of water. It fills me up so I am less hungry. Good luck!
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes we go to crazy measures to get crazy results.

we need real results with real measures. Try to make small steps. You reached out, so that is the first step
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    First, it's not WHAT you eat it's how much. So learn how to manage your cravings/hunger/etc and learn to say within your allotted calorie range. This comes with trial and error.

Once you get this under control THEN add in exercise since you don't NEED to exercise to lose weight, it just helps create a larger deficient.

It won't happen instantaneously. If it was easy everyone would be average weight and no one would need MFP.
  • daisyls85
    daisyls85 Posts: 63 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Also, no need to deprive your self. As long as you're diligent through out the day you can afford a snack. I was craving chocolate ice cream and had just that for my afternoon snack today. I put half a serving of the ice cream (regular ice cream, not diet kind) into a waffle cone. The whole snack was 120cals. The cone (50 cals) hid the fact that my ice cream was only a small portion (70 cals 1/4cup). It was satisfying without making me feel guilty!
  • 4eversweet2
    4eversweet2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree. It is a mental thing. We have lived so long eating the wrong way that it is not easy to change overnight. Don't give up! I know you said you don't have time to exercise, but the time to do it is when you grab that bag of chips or the rice crispie bars. As soon as you grab wasted calories tell your brain to put them down and then do 100 jumping jacks. I scour exercise forums on instagram and I find exercises that seem fun to me. Consume your time with anything exercise. Get off facebook, put the remote away and study, study, study every which second you can on how to be a success at losing weight. Don't let your mind focus on anything else. YOU CAN DO THIS. We will support you! DON'T give up. Feel free to add me as a supporter. GOOD LUCK!
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    daisyls85 wrote: »
    I am very busy also with 3 kids, full time work and school. I work the gym in as many days as possible but life doesn't always make it possible. The one thing I can control is my calorie intake. As long as I stick to my daily limit I will continue to lose, even without getting to the gym everyday. The gym may speed the process but what you eat is most crucial. Once you get a hang of your cal goals you can work in the other stuff! Also, I wouldn't use any replacements, just eat within your limit and you won't need the rest.

+1

You don't always have time to exercise, but you always have time to eat within your calorie limit.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    The only issue I have with this is that those items weren't logged. I see a beautiful log for yesterday, and a complete log already for today that also looks really good! But nowhere were the chips and krispy treats? Eat chips and krispy treats if you need that. There is nothing wrong with eating chips or krispy treats as that is your personal choice. Try working them into your log if you know you want them. That way you can either see how well they can fit into your day if you plan to, or how adding them effects your goal. Chances are you ate them before you started here, and chances are you will eat them again. So log them, put your chin up because you wanted chips and ate chips, and move on! Be accountable to yourself and lose the gross feeling about yourself. I believe the point here (my personal point and mfp) isn't to feel bad about your food choices, but to make you aware of them. That is all, no judgement. I have a friend here (I don't remember which one but if you want you can look through their diaries) who eats pizza, burgers, and shakes practically every day! A few days back another one had ice cream for breakfast! YES! BREAKFAST! ICECREAM! And they are still losing weight! FANTASTIC! Great job for them to work their favorite foods into their goals! Try doing the same! Be kind to yourself, remember that you are already making progress, and congratulations for realizing the shakes aren't working for you. What works for one doesn't always work for the other. Focus on how good it feels having lost 3 pounds, and move forward with your chin up! You can do this!
  • greyzie123
    Options
    Aw bless you. It's always hard when you work / have kids / have a house to run so don't beat urself up about it. I always find that writing a food diary really helps. You look back and think "bloody hell is that what I'm eating!" When I had quite a bit weight to lose it joined weight watchers but I don't know if they do it over there. Running is also the best exercise ever and it's free! Just make sure you invest in a decent pair of trainers. Asics are the best for running. Once you get the kids sorted, ask someone to sit for you and go out for half an hour. You need to do something for yourself or you'll end up resenting people around you. Just half an hour every other day will give you results. Good luck x
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If you're frustrated by lack of progress, the best thing to do at first is just log what you eat. Don't change your diet, but faithfully write down everything you eat, and if at all possible, weigh it (for solid foods) or measure its quantity (for liquids). Make sure that you choose an accurate item in MFP's database; since users can enter items, there are a lot of inaccuracies.

Once you have an accurate log for three or four weeks, you can look over it for patterns. My log showed me that if I had 300 calories of cereal with lowfat milk for breakfast, I was hungry again by 10:30, but if I had 150 calories of buttered toast, the fat in the butter kept me sated until lunch. That was an easy way to save not only 150 calories at breakfast, but also the extra calories that I would snack on in the morning. You'll find other patterns, too. And you might find surprises, such as the total snack calories you eat.

Armed with your log, you can see about making small, sustainable changes. I used to have a bit of cheese after most meals. Now I have it less often, and I weigh it to ensure it fits in my calorie goals. I would often eat my main course at dinner too fast, and take seconds because I still felt hungry; now I try to eat slowly and take seconds only if I am truly still hungry when the plate is clean.

Big changes are hard to sustain, especially in the long run. Small, incremental lifestyle changes are much easier to deal with, because you're not depriving yourself of anything.

As for exercise: it's not necessary for weight loss. It allows you to eat more without slowing down your weight loss, and it has a slew of benefits for your health. But again, incremental change is good. Park on the far end of the parking lot, or a block or two from your destination. Walk with your kids to a park, or to run errands, or visit their friends. If you're on an escalator, walk up it, or take the stairs. While your kids are at cheerleader practice, walk up and down the bleachers (when that gets easy, you can run up and down them). It's great if you can make time for formal exercise, but adding in those little bits of daily activity can make a huge difference.

Good luck!
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Wow so much great advice in this thread!! I agree with almost everything said - create a calorie deficit, carefully weigh and measure your food, record EVERYTHING (even the food you wish you would not have had - just do it, you will feel that much more accountable and will be able to start identifying patterns.)

It can be really hard to get going. I found myself having a super hard time re-starting this past week, after a few months on a diet hiatus and a few weeks of indulging. After eating a 1000 calories worth of chocolate popcorn the other day (my heart said no but I did it anyway), I was pretty much where you are now and I said enough is enough. My best advice for starting is just take things one day at a time and don't worry so much about exercise at first. They say weight loss starts in the kitchen and I agree. If you pressure yourself to work out, you might end up burning out and feeling like a failure. You can do this!!
  • tammycolbert
    tammycolbert Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Amazing advice and thank you all for taking the time to give it to me. I am going to take advice from everyone. Thank you so much. I do appreciate it more then you know.