Help with food ratios please...

Options
Hi there, my original settings were recommending a lot of carbs and I kept going over protein so I changed it to 40/30/30 carbs/fat/protein but now I am struggling to get enough protein in without going over on fat. For example today I've had amongst other things, 2 eggs and a beef steak which isn't enough protein but is over on fat! I'm looking to lose 70 pounds and build lean muscle, what settings and food stuffs do you recommend?

Thank you very much!

Replies

• MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Have you considered egg whites? you can increase your intake without all the bad stuff
  • emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    try adding whey protein shakes to your diet
  • HurricaneShaunna
    HurricaneShaunna Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 50/25/25 but I love to eat fruit and I wanted the "extra" carbs since I do a lot of high-intensity exercise.

40/30/30 is a good ratio. I think you just need to look for foods that have high protein and are lower in fat. Instead of the whole egg, just eat the egg whites. Some other examples are tuna fish (lots of fish actually), protein powder shakes mixed with skim milk, low-fat string cheese, etc.

Good luck!
  • AUPerry
    AUPerry Posts: 166
    Options
    Mine is on 40/40/20
  • AUPerry
    AUPerry Posts: 166
    Options
    Mine is on 40/40/20
  • kkauz42
    kkauz42 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast is pretty lean too!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options

40/30/30 is a good ratio. I think you just need to look for foods that have high protein and are lower in fat. Instead of the whole egg, just eat the egg whites. Some other examples are tuna fish (lots of fish actually), protein powder shakes mixed with skim milk, low-fat string cheese, etc.

Good luck!

^ this!
    Leaner protein sources! Chicken breast, LEAN ground beef, turkey & pork, fish, pork tenderloin, greek yogurt, whey protein
  • healthysew
    healthysew Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i have always wondered how you decide on a ratio? Should I just start with 40/30/30 and see how that works out?
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Interesting... I just checked my ratios and they are at 55/15/30 and I feel like I keep struggling on trying to get enough carbs. I have been consistently over on protein and under on carbs. I think I'll go back and take a closer look at my past consumption and adjust my ratios.

FYI Non-fat greek yogurt high in protein and no fat...
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Also, whole eggs are not bad for you. But, you can lower the fat intake if you just have 1 whole egg and a few egg whites.
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I too had this exact problem, but it is possible to find a balance, you just have to try different things to see what fits. My problem was getting in the protein without going over on fat and sodium...you can find low cal protein, but it's usually cheese or lunch meat or something processed like that. I pretty much don't eat beef anymore...I love it, but just too much fat. Try these: fat free greek yogurt, egg whites (I make this awesome breakfast out of egg whites, chicken breast, and pico), nuts, fish, fish, fish, chicken breasts, veggies, veggies, veggies, spinach, Kashi has some great frozen dinners, salad w/chunk tuna, nuts, shrimp. You can buy canned chunk chicken breast, that is relatively low in sodium - I keep those around and add them to various things for extra low cal protein - salads, eggs, frozen dinners, etc. Low fat / fat free cottage cheese and string cheese are good, just watch the sodium. Luna bars have a good amount of protein too. Hope this helps - good luck finding your balance! :flowerforyou:
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat high protein, but not too much fat -- you need poultry (turkey/chicken), egg whites, fish (tune rules) and whey protein powder. Beef and pork are ok in moderation, but will be a lot higher in fat than the other proteins.
  • therobinator
    Options
    PS -- feel free to check my diary. I eat TONS of protein and my daily limit for fat (which if I go over it's only by a little bit) is about 40 grams.
  • kkauz42
    kkauz42 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Oh! I also heard Bison is good too. I have had it one time and really liked it, it is more lean than beef...but I forget the fat content!
  • therobinator
    Options
    Oh! I also heard Bison is good too. I have had it one time and really liked it, it is more lean than beef...but I forget the fat content!
    Absolutely. Tastes like beef, but it's as good or better for you than chicken. I heart bison.
  • TheZabet
    TheZabet Posts: 8
    Options
    Lean proteins: egg whites, white chicken & turkey, lean cuts of pork (trim down porkchops or a pork loin), ground beef that's 90% lean or more, bison (lean as turkey; comes ground, in steaks, and made into sausages, etc.), beans, and lentils. Yes, the last two come with carbs but where else can you breeze past the RDA of fiber with a single 1cup serving of soup? Fiber = GOOD carbs, where your carbs should be coming from rather than from sugars.
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hi there, my original settings were recommending a lot of carbs and I kept going over protein so I changed it to 40/30/30 carbs/fat/protein but now I am struggling to get enough protein in without going over on fat. For example today I've had amongst other things, 2 eggs and a beef steak which isn't enough protein but is over on fat! I'm looking to lose 70 pounds and build lean muscle, what settings and food stuffs do you recommend?

Thank you very much!

Or you can eat more fat, and less carbs and get all you need to feel fantastic! My ratios are set at 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbohydrates. (I recommend you watch the documentary, "FATHEAD on Netflix or HULU to educate yourself before you have a fit!)
  • georgiagorwell
    Options
    I haven't seen that documentary but have read a few papers and journals on this. I won't have a fit, it's how humans ate before farming and processing was invented!
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen that documentary but have read a few papers and journals on this. I won't have a fit, it's how humans ate before farming and processing was invented!

I wasn't thinking YOU might have a fit, but some of the other closed minded thinkers. ;)