Intermittent fasting.

Options
So I've been doing intermittent fasting 'IF' for a year now with amazing results. Looking better at 35 than I did at 25. Wondering how anyone else's progress has been?

Replies

• RebeccaMaunder
    RebeccaMaunder Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am just starting this and wondering about how it all goes and what kind of results to look for.... any suggestions or tips?
  • JimmyRoss7
    JimmyRoss7 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I started with the 16 hr fast 8 hr eating window. I still watched my calories. Logged my food. Remember it's not a diet, it's just a tool. It ultimately stopped me from eating late, or drinking alcohol since that's the only time I do that. Your eating window depends on your lifestyle. I currently do an 18/6. So I eat from noon-6pm. On the weekends it's a noon-8pm. Feel free to ask me anything.
  • nettypip13
    nettypip13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi. I don't really know anything about intermittent fasting but sounds interesting. It's great that you've had great results.
  • JimmyRoss7
    Options
    It is really a great way to get your eating under control, and gives you a different perspective on food. There is a lot of info on line about IF. Check it out and see if it's a good fit for you.
  • oncem0re
    oncem0re Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You got me researching this IF - one question though, so MFP you count your calories, since they already did the math and calculated how much calories you need to deficit in order to lose the weight, so you stay on that calories. But this one, you fast for period of time which in end result, you are still just really deficiting calories. I'm kinda confuse, I have research the web about it but unsure. Unless I do the exercise while I'm on fast, that's the only beneficial part I can see on this. Am I missing the bigger picture? Thanks!
  • JimmyRoss7
    Options
    The whole plan is to be in a calorie deficit, yes. But while your fasting your allowing your body to take 'a break' from digesting food. After your body has used the food you gave it, your body will look for energy to use, that energy comes from stored fat, not muscle. Don't buy into the 'starvation' mode myth. That takes up to fasting for up to 72 hrs. So long story short, you body will burn excess body fat for energy. I do workout fasted, but I had to slowly work up to that. It's not for everyone. So if you choose to try it. Keep your workouts light at first.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    There are several ways to do this. Use your bed time of course and start with low ratio for eating/feeding so that you don't go to quick to a 16:8 or 17:7 or even 18:6. Some people have to do a lot less but this is really not IF unless you have a moderate feeding/eating window.

I was used to already skipping "break fast" so I jumped right into the 16:8 at first and now I am mainly doing 18:6. It works for me so I can eat two smaller meals in a 6 hours period.

It is not a diet. It is really a schedule for eating. I am a firm believer that my metabolism kick started doing this. When I think I am hungry (when I get thos "pangs") now I am really thirsty. I am more thirsty and have to drink water during the morning hours.

Your body will get used to moving that morning "break fast"up later and later in the day as you work this.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Please do not attempt this without consulting your physician if you have health risks or health issues. Not everyone can do this and are on special doctor recommended instructions.

I did not mean to imply in my first post, that this was for everyone.
  • JimmyRoss7
    Options
    I agree Gia
  • NisCAPE
    NisCAPE Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Interesting post guys. I was wondering when you're in your eating window what kind of foods are you eating....?

I work shifts including nights so it may mean I'll need to juggle things around a little for optimum results.

I'm going for a 16:8 Have been on it for a few days with 2 days of fasting at 500 calories.

I'm also incoporating this with low carb low GI foods.... Anyone have any experience of this....???
  • JimmyRoss7
    Options
    I work 4pm-4am and eating at work can be tough. So my window is currently noon-6. But I'm eating at maintance. When I was cutting at 1800 calories I was eating pretty clean but still hitting my macros.
  • oncem0re
    oncem0re Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I would not try to fast at 500 calories, that will not be healthy and I don't think that's nearly enough for a guy to function effectively in a day.

JimmyRoss - I did however started IF last Saturday so I'm on it for about 4 days now and I am not missing my breakfast. I'm still eating the calories I need. I fast from 7PM - 12 Noon and eat all my 1200 within 12-7 which is great because I get to have some extra sweet potatoes or extra handful of cashews and feel like I'll be okay for the rest of the day. I do take some snacks. I eat lunch at noon-12:30 and snack at 2-2:30 again at 4-4:30 and dinner at 6:30-7 and just water the rest of the night. I also started to work out on an empty stomach yesterday to test it out since I was off work just to make sure I'm able to make it 'till lunch which I did without a problem. I did the same today and worked out for 20 minutes as soon as I woke up. I'm loving it so far - we'll see how everything else goes for later. Thanks for the INFO!
  • RNGRZulu
    RNGRZulu Posts: 3,964 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Tried it...started getting gall bladder and liver problems.
    It wasn't hard to do. Got used to it pretty quickly.
    But, when your digestive systems stops getting things to digest, it may be difficult for your body to respond. I may be a rare case. But, that was my deal.
  • mochalovies
    mochalovies Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I personally love IF, have done it for couple of years. I go 20/4 for several reasons. I do drink a s***t load of water, also try to eat as clean as possible (veggies and lean protein). It has helped me give up caffeine (nothing wrong with a cup of java) but it just got to the point that I didn't feel like drinking coffee in the morning and preferred to just fast on water). Overall I think its a good way to keep things from getting complicated - pre workout meal, post workout meal, last time in the day you can eat carbs bla bla bla.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I do this by accident most days, as I don't like to eat breakfast and am rarely hungry until early afternoon (I work 2nd shift.) So I usually eat around 1 or 2 p.m. and then maybe a snack when I get to work, and then dinner around 7 or 8 p.m. Sometimes I have a snack when I get home, but I'm usually better off if I don't, as it tends to make me hungry when I wake up, which messes up the eating schedule.
  • aperez8732
    aperez8732 Posts: 6 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I currently do the "Eat Stop Eat" version. I find that this is more sustainable for me; call me crazy. I pick two days out of my week in which I fast for 24 hours. So far my weight loss has been steady and my body composition has been changing--bf % is dropping! The science behind this is really intriguing. I was originally on the 16 to 8 but wasn't really feeling the layout/scheduling. I figured Brad Pilon's version of IF would be better suited for my situation and so far it's been awesome. I weight train 3x a week and my fasts are once on tuesday and again on thursday(24hrs).

My diet is Flexible. I eat a lot of healthy whole foods and if my Macro's allows it, I'll have that pizza I've been craving or ice cream.

I highly recommend Brad Pilon's Eat Stop Eat book btw and Mark Berkhan's "Lean Gains" site is a great read as well.