Plateau and already eating minimal calories?

So I'm currently netting 1300-1400 calories daily sometimes reaching 1500. I'm worried that once I started losing weight, (I have about 45lbs to lose) that ill plateau and won't be able to lower my calories. Any thoughts ?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    People typically will not lose some weeks due to water retention or whatever reason, but weight loss is not linear. If you reach a true plateau (4-6 weeks), you are eating too much. With calories as low as you have them, my guess would be inaccurate logging. In theory, if you are accurate with your logging, you should not hit plateaus. It's a great theory, but it's not a perfect world.

My solution for you, tackle that problem when you get there, but start with making sure you are being as accurate as possible.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Yeah, that's a concern. Why are your goals set so low? Did you say you wanted to lose 2 pounds per week, because that's a little aggressive (not overly, just a little bit) when you only have 45 pounds total to lose. Here's a good rule of thumb:

If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Is your profile photo recent? If so, I am not sure where that 45lbs is going to come from.
  • vikkiitoria
    vikkiitoria Posts: 110 Member
    I actually don't mind how fast I lose as long as I'm losing. Anytime I try higher though I only maintain I don't lose. I tried about 1700 for 2 months and nothing and I was weighing and measuring everything.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    You might get more specific advice if you open your diary.
  • hstammen85
    hstammen85 Posts: 2 Member
    How much do you weigh now and your height? What is your goal weight? Do you workout? If so how many days a week? What was your starting weight and how long have you been on your journey? There are a lot of factors that play into overall weight loss. Its impossible to give GOOD advice without some more puzzle pieces.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Usually when people are at the lower end of the range (1300-1400 is pretty low), it's because they told MFP they wanted to lose 2 pounds per week, and that's not always the best idea. How many calories does MFP give you if you plug in 1.5 pounds per week? If you know 1700 is too many, maybe try 1500 for a month and see what happens? That would at least give you some room if you need to drop them later on.
  • JPZ98
    JPZ98 Posts: 70 Member
    What about exercise? Changing up how and when you exercise might help if you hit a plateau.
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    edited January 2015
    Is your profile photo recent? If so, I am not sure where that 45lbs is going to come from.

Yeah, you do not look like you have 45 lbs to lose...
    I'm worried that once I started losing weight, that ill plateau and won't be able to lower my calories. Any thoughts ?

Do what you can. Starvation mode is a myth, and you can always re-adjust your goals as time goes on.

Don't weigh-in daily - your body fluctuates. If you truly do "plateau" (edit: meaning your weight stays stable for 3 weeks or more), grab a digital scale, make sure you're logging food properly, and go back to MFP and have it re-calculate your caloric intake based on your new weight.