Suggestions on how to improve current diet?

Options
So since monday I have made significant changes in my diet, eating more fruit, sticking to a 1500 calorie plan & making more freshly cooked meals while cutting out chocolates and crisps.
My diary is open, was wondering if people can advise me of what I should include more of or add, to help my journey to weight loss
Energy is a big issue for me as I am very busy pretty much everyday I run out of energy nearer to the evening.. any suggestions?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It is too early to look. What I want to do is see you stick with your changes for two weeks. For quick energy, try a 100 cal snack with a carbohydrate in it. That could be a few crackers or a cookie.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Im curious, how did you arrive at 1500 calories per day?
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Are you planning on living without crisps and chocolates for the rest of your life? You don't need to eliminate them completely from your diet in order to lose weight. :)

Other than that, your energy might be a bit low at the beginning of a reduced calorie diet, it does get better.
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    i think fruit is great for a snack but try adding something to it. apple and PB, strawberries and greek yogurt. it might keep you fuller longer and give you more energy. i would also up your protein. and is 1500 what MFP suggested? That seems kind of low to me.
  • jjasmelon
    jjasmelon Posts: 101
    Options

MFP said that was my suggested calorie intake. do you think it should be lower?
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    jjasmelon wrote: »

do you eat your exercise calories back or half of them back? If you do, then i would say stick with it and see how you do. If you don't...then you might want to look in to TDEE method. I eat TDEE-10% and only log my workouts as 1 calorie burned.

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

It should not be lower if you successfully lose on 1500 a day.

*Note: with MFP, if you exercise you are supposed to eat those calories (or about half of them) back. MFP is set up so that you could lose weight without exercising, but exercising is good for things besides weight loss (getting stronger, improving your cardiovascular health, helping your body composition).
  • The_Fitness_Foodie
    The_Fitness_Foodie Posts: 95 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The complete elimination of any food or food group is a recipe for disaster.... I eat chocolate every day (I don't eat crisps because I don't like them) & I've lost half my body weight, so my advice is to reintroduce the foods you enjoy & start planning your meals, that way you can make them fit into you daily calories.

You don't need to change your diet as such - you eat what you eat because you enjoy it, or you wouldn't eat it, so continue eating it, just eat less of the empty calorie foods like chocolate, stock up on nutritionally rich calorie foods like fresh meat, protein rich foods & healthy fats.

These changes need to be sustainable, this is how you want to live from now on & I can't imagine you never want to eat chocolates & crisps again....

Plus 1500 calories may be right for you, so long as you have told MFP the truth about your age, current weight, gender & activity levels

xXx
  • elysia82
    elysia82 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diet from today and you seem to be eating a lot of carbs first thing in the day. They can provide a lot of energy but they can also cause spikes in blood sugar leaving you craving more food. Try starting your day out with more fiber and lean protein to keep you full longer. :smile:
    Good luck!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. If you accurately filled out your info, 1500 would be a good place to start. Remember, the MFP method, you eat back exercise calories. Without knowing your stats I cant say much more other than, make sure you are logging accurately. Weigh everything with a food scale except liquids which you need to measure. You need to KNOW exactly how much you are eating. from there it is easy to adjust as needed and you will then be wildly successful!!! OH and eat some chocolate. I ate ice cream every night and lost 60 lbs. Eat what you love in smaller portion while being mindful to eat a balanced diet. Good luck!
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    You are really quite low on the protein side. Your carbs are way over the top too. If you find that you are crashing (energy wise) at night, try to lower your carb intake for the day (and perhaps your sugar crashing in evening). Concentrate on getting your carbs and you will totally feel fuller longer.
  • jjasmelon
    Options
    i think fruit is great for a snack but try adding something to it. apple and PB, strawberries and greek yogurt. it might keep you fuller longer and give you more energy. i would also up your protein. and is 1500 what MFP suggested? That seems kind of low to me.

Oh okays nice suggestions will try that & MFP suggested 1,580 calories
  • jjasmelon
    Options
    Thanks for help all :) will adjust diet