Breakfast?

Options
Can anyone tell me how safe it is to skip breakfast? I'm never hungry in the mornings and I could go all day until around lunch sometimes even dinner time before I feel it. When I do eat I never go over on my calories and feel full. But I noticed that when I do force myself to eat breakfast I feel hungry an hour later and want to eat an early lunch. Then it turns into an early dinner and by 6:00 I'm starving again but I'm over on my calories for the day. Can anyone advise me?

Replies

• mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    The reason you feel hungry after eating breakfast is because you kick started your metabolism. Which is VERY important for losing weight. You need to eat breakfast, lunch, dinner & healthy snacks in between. I know a lot of people hate eating breakfast but it is SO ESSENTIAL! Try some oatmeal or a yogurt with blueberries. If you start getting hungry not too long after breakfast drink water & snack on healthy items such as carrots or nuts. I know it's hard but breakfast is very important.
  • fitzymic
    fitzymic Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Don't know if it unsafe but it really important remember we sleep for hours and the body needs food to give us energy and kick start our system for the day.what u eating for breakfast.
  • LovelyLisa1000
    LovelyLisa1000 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    There is no danger in skipping breakfast. I usually wake up and have coffee and work out and have an early lunch.
  • mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    There's certainly no danger in not eating breakfast but it helps with your weight loss if you can try & eat a little something. Maybe just a banana.
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    wolfeyes_6 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how safe it is to skip breakfast? I'm never hungry in the mornings and I could go all day until around lunch sometimes even dinner time before I feel it. When I do eat I never go over on my calories and feel full. But I noticed that when I do force myself to eat breakfast I feel hungry an hour later and want to eat an early lunch. Then it turns into an early dinner and by 6:00 I'm starving again but I'm over on my calories for the day. Can anyone advise me?

I had this same issue and started skipping breakfast. I then discovered I can just eat a later breakfast. I found out if I eat breakfast around 9am-10am instead of 7-8am I am hungry later. Try that maybe?
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    The reason you feel hungry after eating breakfast is because you kick started your metabolism. Which is VERY important for losing weight. You need to eat breakfast, lunch, dinner & healthy snacks in between. I know a lot of people hate eating breakfast but it is SO ESSENTIAL! Try some oatmeal or a yogurt with blueberries. If you start getting hungry not too long after breakfast drink water & snack on healthy items such as carrots or nuts. I know it's hard but breakfast is very important.

Nope. This is wrong. Your metabolism never stops working, it works at the same rate whether you have eaten or not. I haven't eaten breakfast since I was a kid, and I've lost 43lbs since June - I tried to eat it at the beginning but it was only making me eat more during the day and thus decreasing my calorie deficit and making weight loss harder. Your body cannot really tell what time it is. If you're hungry at breakfast time then eat, if eating that early makes you feel a little ill like it does me, then just have a slightly bigger lunch. No big deal.
  • JEE2015
    JEE2015 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I kick start my metabolism with a glass of V8 at 5:30am and usually in a couple of hours I'm hungry and have a light breakfast. Even getting a breakfast bar ( a good one) to start your morning might be what you can try.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Some people report increased energy and focus and decreased hunger throughout the day when they eat breakfast. Others feel the complete opposite after breakfast and find themselves starving and unable to focus throughout the day.

Your metabolism won't slow down for about 72 hours without food. Waking it up after 8 hours of sleep isn't necessary. It's really about personal preference and what makes you feel the best (assuming you don't have any medical reasons to eat breakfast). Eat breakfast if you want. Skip it if you want.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    False. Breakfast is not a magic metabolism stoker. It's not important to weight loss. The only thing important to weight loss is calories in vs calories out. Eat a little less than you burn and you'll do fine.

Your body doesn't know what time it is. If breakfast isn't really your thing, don't eat it. Just make up the calories later in the day and try to hit your macro goals. :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Nope-GIF_2.gif

Metabolism doesn't need to be kickstarted. It's one of those things that works because you're alive. If it isn't working, you're dead and no amount of food is going to get it working again.

OP, if you don't want to eat first thing, you don't have to do that. Wait until you're hungry, whenever that is.
  • wolfeyes_6
    Options
    Thanks all!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

so much wrong in this post..

First - if your metabolism stopped when you went to bed it would mean you died
    second - eating breakfast and metabolism have nothing to do with one another.
    third - meal timing and metabolism are myth.
    fourth - breakfast is not essential
    fifth - breakfast is not important…eat it, skip it, whatever…i personally do eat breakfast but that is because I am hungry ….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    JEE2015 wrote: »
    I kick start my metabolism with a glass of V8 at 5:30am and usually in a couple of hours I'm hungry and have a light breakfast. Even getting a breakfast bar ( a good one) to start your morning might be what you can try.

can you tell me where I can find the "kickstarter" on my body for metabolism? is it like starting a bike..?????
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    wolfeyes_6 wrote: »

This is just like the whole 'no carbs before bed' mumbo jumbo.

Unless you have a specific goal (triathlon mid-morning or such), eating breakfast, or meal timing in general has no discernible effect. Your body is a 24 hour beast and doesn't care that it's breakfast lunch or dinner.

Eat when you want. Do whatever you feel most comfortable with.
  • GreenScrew
    GreenScrew Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Meant to post this excerpt (its on the internet so its true):
    It makes sense: Eating early in the day keeps us from "starvation eating" later on. But it also jump-starts your metabolism, says Elisabetta Politi, RD, MPH, nutrition manager for the Duke Diet & Fitness Center at Duke University Medical School. "When you don't eat breakfast, you're actually fasting for 15 to 20 hours, so you're not producing the enzymes needed to metabolize fat to lose weight."

Among the people she counsels, breakfast eaters are usually those who have lost a significant amount of weight. They also exercise. "They say that before having breakfast regularly, they would eat most of their calories after 5 p.m.," Politi tells WebMD. "Now, they try to distribute calories throughout the day. It makes sense that the body wants to be fueled."
  • ndj1979
    Options
    GreenScrew wrote: »
    It makes sense: Eating early in the day keeps us from "starvation eating" later on. But it also jump-starts your metabolism, says Elisabetta Politi, RD, MPH, nutrition manager for the Duke Diet & Fitness Center at Duke University Medical School. "When you don't eat breakfast, you're actually fasting for 15 to 20 hours, so you're not producing the enzymes needed to metabolize fat to lose weight."

Among the people she counsels, breakfast eaters are usually those who have lost a significant amount of weight. They also exercise. "They say that before having breakfast regularly, they would eat most of their calories after 5 p.m.," Politi tells WebMD. "Now, they try to distribute calories throughout the day. It makes sense that the body wants to be fueled."

LOL no
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    GreenScrew wrote: »

The 80's called. They want their pseudoscience back

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If skipping breakfast helps you stick to your calories for the day you should do that. If eating breakfast helps you stick to your calories for the day then you should do that.

Your metabolism does not stop at night (if it did you would die) and it doesn't need to be kick started. It's not a motorcycle.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/820577

^peer-reviewed studies within
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    But what if I just really like eating breakfast? I sometimes eat breakfast foods for lunch, or dinner too! How safe is that?