Is the fitbit just a glorified pedometer?

Options
I see lots of people posting a lot of calorie adjustments for the fitbit and am debating getting one for my birthday next week. Thoughts? How accurate to you feel it is? Is it worth it or hold out for one with heart rate monitor.

Replies

• chamaeleonsky
    chamaeleonsky Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've had one for two weeks. I guess it is just a pedometer. I have sleep issues so I'm liking developing a sleep log for my doctor. It adjusts my calories when I'm active but honestly I'm not sure I will lose weight if I eat back every calorie I work off, so I ignore it.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    It is a pedometer with added features ... some can track stairs, some track sleep, all report to a server to see what you've done (or what it determines you've done based on movement it interprets as steps).

If you should hold out for the HR version really depends on what you do, what you want to track, etc.
  • madlynn2
    madlynn2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Personally, I really like mine because it motivates me. Yes it is a fancy pedometer, but it tracks calories burned and seems to give me a better idea of how much I can eat to reach my weightloss goal. I've also found the challenges with others fun.
    With that being said if you want a better tracker specifically for workout a HRM is probably better. The more I go running the more I wish I had some sort of GPS type watch...but for a first fitness tracker I'm enjoying it.
  • getstrongkaylen
    getstrongkaylen Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    yes, but i enjoy it. i dont really count my steps as exercise but i like trying to get in my 10,000 steps a day, and i really like the app too! it helps me alot but totally not necessary ! i got mines for christmas
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Yes. I purchased the Fitbit Charge last night. I currently use a more inexpensive tracker and I wanted one with an alarm on it.

It depends on what you need. The FibitChargeHR is available now. I did a lot of research and of course I had certain criteria such as having the app interface with MFP, alarm, exercise, steps, nutrition, sleep... ON amazon it is 120.00 bucks.

If you decide to get one, make you buy the extra "wrist clip". I read where if you run out of links on the bracelet you need the extra clip from falling off. A pack of 7 cost 7 bucks and these clips do fit other trackers as well. Just something for you to take a look at.
  • donmcd
    donmcd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at the Charge HR which should be out soon. The hope is that it helps motivation re calories burned and steps taken.
    Has anyone noticed a real improvement using a tracker? I have never used one..
    Thanks. D.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    There is a new one with a HR monitor. My boyfriend LOVES it. I'm a hypochondriac and can't wear HR monitors or I will think I am dying. (Sounds like I am exaggerating but I'm not, anxiety is a *kitten*!) However I have gone from the fitbit zip to the flex and I love my flex. It is SO great that it adjusts calories, it makes it way easier to know how much to eat and it challenges me to be more active. The flex is cute and minimalist as well, which I like.
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love mine. I have a fitbit flex. I know for certain that I would have sat on the couch some days... but knowing I needed 2,000 more steps got me up. Also there are challenges you can do with friends. I'm competitive so for the last 2 days I've done 13,000 steps instead of 10,000 in order to get ahead of my friends. I take the long way to the coffee pot, bathroom, parking lot to get in more steps. I march in place during TV commercials.

I usually do not eat back my calories earned from exercising however so I'm not so worried about if the calories tracker is accurate or not.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    donmcd wrote: »
    I'm looking at the Charge HR which should be out soon. The hope is that it helps motivation re calories burned and steps taken.
    Has anyone noticed a real improvement using a tracker? I have never used one..
    Thanks. D.

It avail now. Best Buy $149.99 may want to check amazon. I bought the FitbitCharge last night on Amazon.

• donmcd
    donmcd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have looked at the Amazon site but can't see the HR version in the UK yet. The import taxes nudge the price up but I might buy one anyway. Sounds like a great motivator - as said, ideal for making you get off your *kitten* and clocking up more steps.
    - I'm also using the device d' jour .. The Nutribullet, as an extra weapon in the fight against flag. I have to say I have been impressed.
    I know it's basic stuff but in the morning, on the go, I have never eaten so healthily!
  • madlynn2
    Options
    I think I will order the fitbit charge hr. I have an old polar heart rate monitor but it is kind of big and needs the chest strap which I was hoping to avoid. Thanks for all the input.
  • madlynn2
    Options
    Just ordered. It will be here on Monday. Thanks for all the feedback. I will let you all know how I like it :)
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I use both. I wear my Fitbit all day, but also use a HRM for workouts and manually log those calories to adjust the Fitbit number.

For example, I hiked today. My Fitbit, only counting steps and changes of elevation showed a 395 calorie burn. My HRM gave me a burn of 840 for that workout. The hike was in loose snow, which added resistance and make it a lot more strenuous, keeping my HR between 140 and 170 for 95 minutes.
  • FunkenWagnel
    FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Not sure how accurate, but it seems accurate enough for me to be happy. I love the sleep tracking, also it's really pushing me hard and kicking my *kitten*!