Going up and down the same few lbs...

Options
jmgj27
jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
I've been going up and down from 170 - 175 for the last couple of weeks and it's starting to really irritate me. For some reason it's always really difficult for me to break through the 12 stone barrier (I'm 5ft 8" so I'm now only a few lbs from being a 'normal weight' so it's doubly frustrating). I think, given that I had three days off for the bank holiday, it's just a case of being patient now I'm back on the diet/exercise regime full time but does anybody else sympathise with the feeling that your body's just looking at you and saying 'what? Oh, right the exercise and dieting, oh you want me to shed some fat - yeah, maybe, in a couple of weeks'...!

Replies

• Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    That is a plateau my dear. I just broke through mine, I was between numbers for 3 weeks, then I did a fast and the scale started to move again. You have to change up something, maybe your food or workouts to get the scale moving again.
  • rebelontherun
    rebelontherun Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    SO glad you posted this! I've been doing the same with 153-155 and I have been really discouraged because of it. But I totally feel the same way! It's like, no matter how hard I work, or the amount I eat, it doesn't seem to make a difference.
  • amielcampbell
    amielcampbell Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i am feeling this way TOO! Its SOOO Frustrating...but i can tell a slight difference in my pants...so something is moving around! :) i just keep thinking keep going...it will get BETTER!!
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    Most definitely..... The exact same here! I fluctuate between 146-150 (and I'm only 5'2" so I"m short and stubby) It seems that if I give myself a "cheat day" that it goes to 150, but as soon as I'm back on my diet it's 146. BUT it WONT get past that! UGH!
  • Starleng1
    Starleng1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Wow...I'm in the same boat! I've been between 146.5 and 149 for the past 2 months and can't seem to do anything about it. Hopefully, someone will post with a really good way to get past this! Keep trying, Starleng.
  • jmgj27
    Options
    I totally agree - it's just that the cheesecake looks SOOOO tempting when the scales aren't moving. I won't give up, I've come way too far to do that but man it's irritating! I just can't wait to be 164lbs and finally be normal weight for the first time in nearly 17 years (and I'm not 30 yet...!).
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Ussually this happens when there is something in your diet you need to take out at least for a few weeks. I was in the same boat for months actually. Listened to a nutritionist/ chinese med doctor and took wheat and dairy out of my diet for 3 weeks and dropped 9 pounds and did nothing else different. There could be something you are eating that is sabotaging your weight loss. Go through what you are eating and take one thing out at a time for a week each and see what happens.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of posts on here about how to deal with plateaus, but I remember that Jillian Michael's said something about eating about 500 - 750 calories higher than your normal daily calories for 2-3 days, AND change up your exercise routines. Either start doing interval training, or higher intensity. I followed her advice when I had hit a plateau, and it worked.
  • thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am at EXACTLY the same place. I have been going between 170 and 175 for the past 7 weeks. I feel your pain! I even got down to 169.8 one day and today I am at 172.6. It's frustrating, but I finally got through my negative attitude about it. I hadn't given up, but i wasn't being great about my eating. I was eating 1 crappy snack a day and I just thought "you know, this certainly isn't helping" and if I kept creeping up, I knew there was a possibility that I could give up altogether and I have not worked hard for 8 months for nothing! I will not backslide this time: that is a promise I made to myself.
    Change something up. I changed my percentage of protein/carbs/fats this week and I am noticing a difference already. I look thinner around the middle than i have in weeks even though I'm only at 173ish right now and I had gotten down to 170.
    I increased my protein and decreased my fat allowance. Just 5% each and I'm noticing a difference. Bodies get sick of the same old thing.
    My advice would be to change something, even if it's not your macro. Change up the exercise or the times you eat or if you always eat one meal that's the same every day... just something and it should help.
    Good luck getting through it mentally and physically!
  • tobeygirl45
    tobeygirl45 Posts: 57
    Options
    Yes I can totally relate to this.......... I have been at 176 for the past 3 weeks.... I have lost 20 lbs. since January 4th of this year and have at least 20 more or so to go.... It seems that whenever I gain weight and start losing whenever I get to 176 it is like my comfort zone....and my body just feels comfortable at this weight.................. I have upped my exercise and see if this works out but I will not let this stress me out or lose my focus....b/c the number 176 is just not going to win this thing ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck to you!! ... We just have to keep on keeping on!!!
  • tandroes
    tandroes Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    i have been going between 120 and 123 for 2 months! and to make matters worse 120 is my goal so i never quite hit it because it only happens for a day then goes back up. i won't consider it met til it stays consistent.
  • jmgj27
    Options
    Ussually this happens when there is something in your diet you need to take out at least for a few weeks. I was in the same boat for months actually. Listened to a nutritionist/ chinese med doctor and took wheat and dairy out of my diet for 3 weeks and dropped 9 pounds and did nothing else different. There could be something you are eating that is sabotaging your weight loss. Go through what you are eating and take one thing out at a time for a week each and see what happens.

I quite fancy that idea - I've been successful in the past when I've suddenly realised that I was drinking way too much juice and packing on unnecessary calories. I might try cutting out the milk I drink (even though it's only skimmed I do like to drink a pint every couple of days) and see if that helps. I've found before that it can be such a minor thing that's a 100 cals or so that makes the difference. Cheers for that. :bigsmile:
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I have been bouncing between 166 and 161 for FOUR WEEKS. I feel your pain.
  • jmgj27
    Options
    I have been bouncing between 166 and 161 for FOUR WEEKS. I feel your pain.

And I yours (although I envy the 16 at the beginning of your numbers...!)
  • jkleman79
    Options

I quite fancy that idea - I've been successful in the past when I've suddenly realised that I was drinking way too much juice and packing on unnecessary calories. I might try cutting out the milk I drink (even though it's only skimmed I do like to drink a pint every couple of days) and see if that helps. I've found before that it can be such a minor thing that's a 100 cals or so that makes the difference. Cheers for that. :bigsmile:

I was drinking skim milk also though...and was stuck at 240 for 2 months.. Took dairy out and switched to coconut, rice or almond milk and then dropped the wheat...for the most part, and BAM I dropped 9 pounds in 3 weeks. Who would have thought! I may never go back to dairy after trying the other milks..yummy!
  • jmgj27
    Options
    I was drinking skim milk also though...and was stuck at 240 for 2 months.. Took dairy out and switched to coconut, rice or almond milk and then dropped the wheat...for the most part, and BAM I dropped 9 pounds in 3 weeks. Who would have thought! I may never go back to dairy after trying the other milks..yummy!

Which is the most, you know, 'milky' tasting? I really love the taste of milk and it seems like my body craves it after I exercise heavily. Wheat I barely touch anyway so I doubt that's the problem with me but I have always been a bit of a dairy queen (excuse the pun)...
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Try zig-zagging your calories and changing up your exercise routine. You can find sites that talk about zig-zagging calories using google. Try a different exercise to see if that works. :) Good luck!
  • jkleman79
    Options

Which is the most, you know, 'milky' tasting? I really love the taste of milk and it seems like my body craves it after I exercise heavily. Wheat I barely touch anyway so I doubt that's the problem with me but I have always been a bit of a dairy queen (excuse the pun)...

I would say almond milk is the most milk tasting. They make a dark chocolate almond milk that is to die for! =0) Makes a great treat. After that I would say coconut then rice. Rice milk I found to be very tasty though!
  • jmgj27
    Options
    Cheers for that. Guess I'll be wandering the milk aisles tomorrow to have a look at all the options! If I manage to make it under 170 any time soon then I owe you a beer (or something similar!)!
  • jkleman79
    Options
    Ya know as much as I like the way I am looking at the new nutrition plan.. I can never turn down a nice frosty mug of yumminess!! Is that even a word... haha! I dont care its how I feel. I love a good IPA any day!