Anyone else don't know what to say or do

All of this is new to me in a way. I just started working out last year. I didn't take measurement, I just knew I was unhappy with my weight which at the time was 215 lbs. and I was about to go up yet another size. As of this morning I am at 179.2. The last time I weighed myself I was 184 and my goal was to get below 180 and here I am. Okay, with that said, I am just starting to really pay attention to my food, I cut back last year but didn't track anything, my big problem is finding healthy food that taste good. I like flavor, gravy, seasonings some of the healthy recipes I have tried were just nasty. I know I have to try new and different foods but "yuck". Dry, tasteless or includes ingredients I just can't eat (allergic to shellfish) and I am tired of chicken. I come from a soul food cooking family and that is how I learned to cook. I have been able to modify some of my favorites to healthier alternative that still taste good (Smothered Chicken less then 400 calories). I even fed them to friends and family without telling them it was a healthier version and got rave reviews. I am pumped about working out, I am enjoying it, so much so I wonder if fitness will change other parts of my life. I thought of trying out and putting together a tasty, healthy soul food cookbook. I'm on MFP because I am on this journey alone, the last year as been about improving self inside and out but alone. Don't get me wrong, I have friends and family but, none who are interested in what I'm doing. They talk a good one (girl I'm gonna start coming to the gym with you) and never follow through, I get it, I use to do it myself. My social life is minimal, I had to let people go, and with all this new energy from working out, on my normal do nothing days I can't sit still. I don't know what I expect from MFP but here I am. Hello

Replies

• jack0912
    jack0912 Posts: 46 Member
    I think you will find loads of people here who are friendly and so positive with their help and advice.. I'm pretty new too.. I logged in over a year ago but never followed through with anything.. just reading the success stories and people just saying hello here is great motivation.. well done on your loss and I hope you find this app as good as I do :)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,078 Member
    Hello and well done so far you've made some great changes...keep going!
  • LC932017
    LC932017 Posts: 94 Member
    Forgive me for my ignorance if I am wrong on this but doesn't soul food include lots of veggies and legumes? I assume which would be healthy as long as it's not deep fried.
    I guess what I've noticed is I pick a flavor I really like (I love spicy food) so EVERYTHING has salsa or jalapeños on it and nothing is ever boring with spicy food. Also it took me awhile and I then realized (and believe me I hated to hear this too) you can eat whatever your heart desires, in moderation.
    I just googled Healthy Soul Food Recipes and several results came up so I'd maybe do some recipe searches on google. I think it's great you are now monitoring what you eat. It sounds like you are on the right track. :)
  • cecily0112
    cecily0112 Posts: 8 Member
    jack0912 wrote: »
    I think you will find loads of people here who are friendly and so positive with their help and advice.. I'm pretty new too.. I logged in over a year ago but never followed through with anything.. just reading the success stories and people just saying hello here is great motivation.. well done on your loss and I hope you find this app as good as I do :)

Thank you
  • cecily0112
    Hello and well done so far you've made some great changes...keep going!
    Thanks
  • cecily0112
    lana0715 wrote: »
    Forgive me for my ignorance if I am wrong on this but doesn't soul food include lots of veggies and legumes? I assume which would be healthy as long as it's not deep fried.
    I guess what I've noticed is I pick a flavor I really like (I love spicy food) so EVERYTHING has salsa or jalapeños on it and nothing is ever boring with spicy food. Also it took me awhile and I then realized (and believe me I hated to hear this too) you can eat whatever your heart desires, in moderation.
    I just googled Healthy Soul Food Recipes and several results came up so I'd maybe do some recipe searches on google. I think it's great you are now monitoring what you eat. It sounds like you are on the right track. :)
    Yes it includes a lot of veggies and stuff but also a lot of flour and frying and sugar but, I'm working on it. I can eat anything in moderation but I'm still working on moderation, it's not my strong point that's why I'm trying to lose weight now..lol Thanks
  • Cmf12170
    Cmf12170 Posts: 15 Member
    I too find myself alone in my journey to become healthier, so I understand how you feel. My husband said he'd workout with me but never does.
  • cecily0112
    Cmf12170 wrote: »
    I too find myself alone in my journey to become healthier, so I understand how you feel. My husband said he'd workout with me but never does.

I put 2 of my most hated before pics in my bathroom on the mirror, that helps with motivation. I find my friends and family to be very proud of me and they ask questions for themselves but that's it. I've gotten to the point that I have nominated myself to be visible motivation for them. I want them all healthy, and now since I am no longer on medication for diabetes or cholesterol, with the weight lose I hope since it runs in the family they will jump on board. That's also why I don't tell them when they are eating healthy with me until after if at all...lol. Keep it going the hotter you get your husband will come around and if not oh well you'll still be hot and healthy...lol
  • sammyann90
    sammyann90 Posts: 2 Member
    It is a struggle.... I started in 2013 @ 300 lbs.... I am now down to 230 and thats with falling ill to Crohns. Trying to find healthy, gluten limited food that tastes good is hard. Prepackaged gluten free items are high in sugar & sodium which in itsself is bad. I started blogging my healthy recipes to help friends find tasty food which tastes good. But I love some good fried chicken on my cheat day. :D
  • bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    Cecily, you are an amazing inspiration!