Weight loss with no exercise?

Options
I just wanted to ask anyone who has successfully lost weight without exercising. If so, how much did you lose & how long did it take? I obviously know it's important to exercise & that it helps a lot with weight loss I just hate to do it & was just curious how well it went for other people.

Replies

• doremient
    doremient Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been losing weight with primarily just a diet change, no additional exercise. I'm sure working out would speed up the weight loss, but I believe diet is key. I've lost approximately 60 pounds primarily with diet change. This was over a course of 3 years, however active losing weight was about 6 months. I would lose weight and then give up, but would maintain.

• SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I lost 18lbs last summer/early fall with just calorie control. For a lot of reasons, I think exercise would have been beneficial too but for me it's best to make one major change at a time and I felt food was more important.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I haven't exercised in months and I'm currently 56lbs down. I steadily lose around 2 - 3lbs a week just by eating eating the calories MFP tells me to for 2lbs/week and staying within my macros. If you're really honest with what you eat and weigh everything you can definitely lose weight without exercise.
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    You'll read this a lot here, but you will lose weight as long as you are in a calorie deficit. Exercise adds so many more benefits other than just losing weight. Try some new things and start slow. Finding and exercise you enjoy might be easier than you think. You'd be surprised!
  • fmpro
    fmpro Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've lost 120lbs over the last 2.5 years primarily by eating at a calorie deficit.
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Mainly diet with little exercise due to hip injury. I started in April of 2014 and have dropped 126 lbs.
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I think - and this is pure conjecture - that exercise, even mild exercise like walking every day, will help you maintain your weight loss better. When I lost 50 lbs back 2008, I kept it off for five years - maintaining without tracking and just continuing to work exercise into my life. And continuing to eat out and travel and drink, etc. It wasn't until life got in the way of a regular exercise routine, and I moved out of a city where I was walking everywhere, that I started to gain weight again (only a couple of pounds, but enough to get me back to tracking).

Now, you could maintain at the decreased caloric intake easily enough. But personally, I'd rather have the extra glass of wine or the brownie in my life.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I initially lost weight with no exercise-- about 40 lbs. I don't recommend it personally, because when I got to my goal weight I was pretty unhappy with how I looked. I've spent the 2 years since then trying to build back the muscle that I lost.
  • Honojane
    Honojane Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Exercising is very hard for me because of joint pain. I have no trouble losing weight without doing any as long as I keep my portion sizes in line with my sedentary lifestyle. I wish I could exercise more though as the benefits outweigh the bother.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight without any organized type of exercise. It took me 11 months to lose 60lbs
    58369279.png
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I think weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Honojane wrote: »
    Exercising is very hard for me because of joint pain. I have no trouble losing weight without doing any as long as I keep my portion sizes in line with my sedentary lifestyle. I wish I could exercise more though as the benefits outweigh the bother.

It might be worth it to see a PT if you can. Mine helped me tremendously with exercising in a way that doesn't bother my many health issues.
  • lovematthewchristopher
    Options
    I have lost a total of 33 pounds since Sept/14, i try and do a bit of exercise, but i had a knee injury, that prevents me from doing alot of different exercises. I have pain on a regular basis.I try and keep active, but its not always possible,with the pain. Most of the weight was lost with just watching what i eat.
  • Montemuscle1970
    Montemuscle1970 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit will force your body to pull the missing calories from body fat. One pound of fat contains about 3500 calories. Most diets recommend a calorie deficit of no more than 500 calories a day. So 7 x 500 = 3500 calories. So at that rate its about a pound of fat per week.

The most important thing to do when dieting is to find a sustainable plan for yourself. Use the built in calorie calculator in the MFP app to find your specific calorie requirements, then you can tinker with the numbers to find what works for you. If you diet too hard or too fast, you tend to rebound because its too extreme for your body. Plus being in a calorie deficit can affect your mood if its deep. Find what your daily calorie expenditure is approx. and reduce it by 10-15% and just sit back and relax, and before you know it fat weight is disappearing! Hope that helps!
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    The most important thing to do when dieting is to find a sustainable plan for yourself.

^^^ This. Although I would add that you're not "dieting." You're making a lifestyle change. Otherwise, the moment you stop "dieting" it's going to all come back on.

• qstneverything
    qstneverything Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you can do it. Once upon a time I lost 20 kilos (44 pounds) just from mostly diet, I did some exercise to begin with but gave up on the gym and only had a short walk to/from school each day.

However, I wasn't toned at all, and felt unhappy with how I looked. It may or may not be why I gained it all back plus some, but I look at photos at myself from back then and although I can see areas I've gained, my arms and tummy still look the same anyway because I was flabby from no muscle tone whatsoever.

I hate exercise too, and I'm tired a lot and don't have time. However, if you incorporate a weights routine in your regime 3x a week, it'll be well worth it. I do Stronglifts (amongst other things) and it only takes about 30-45 minutes each work out. You get heaps of rest time too, so it doesn't feel like exercise at all. :D
  • mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies! I've been doing well with my calorie deficit. I'm just so anxious to hurry up & lose weight so I guess I'll try & incorporate exercise. Blah! Lol. Congrats to everyone who has mentioned their weight loss! I was 193lbs, 5'7", 24 years old. I'm down to 179 now but can't wait to finally reach my goal!! Thanks!! :smile:
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    any combination will work. It is what you can do and want to do. I have lost all my weight before not exercising.. and did so easily. At other times i exercise because I want to eat more..and it makes me firm and fit.
    I've heard all the experts say…weight loss is more diet ..not so much exercise.. As many people overeat -- thinking their exercise has them covered.
  • CObluegrass
    CObluegrass Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm recovering from surgery and not able to do much physically right now, and I'm hoping to still lose. but exercise does help me get rid of cravings and I just naturally want to eat less afterwards. I feel like feeding my body vegetables and lean protein rather than chips and beer.

if you dread the thought of exercise, how about just try to be more active? can't hurt, right? crank up some tunes when you vacuum and shake that thang. go bowling...if that sounds fun to you. or roller skating. or for a walk in the park/woods/mountains. go out dancing and offer to be the designated driver so you aren't tempted by the high calorie drinks. Bring the groceries inside in two trips instead of one. You don't have to get on a machine or go to a gym to be burning calories.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!