Ever had a personal trainer?

Options
2»

Replies

• bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I've been getting quotes recently for personal trainers in the Atlanta metro area and these are my results....

2x35 minute sessions/per week at LA Fitness - $280/month
    2x60 minute sessions/per week with independent trainer - $400/month (makes sense because sessions are twice as long)

I cannot afford this so I have dropped LA Fitness saving $30/month on membership and joined an MMA/Kickboxing/Bootcamp gym at $80/month that offers classes that I would actually take.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've worked with my trainer for about 3 years. I only pay about $30/session (for 12 sessions), but I started with her when she was pretty new, and there are two of us that train together.

I knew some basic exercises before hand, but she's taught me way more so I can keep my own workouts more interesting. I love that once a week I can just go and be told what to do, there's no thinking involved. She corrects my form, when I wouldn't have known there was a problem otherwise. And, I admit, I'm a chicken when it comes to the gym. I would've NEVER tried weight lifting on my own (aside from dumbbells, maybe). Thanks to her I'm doing squats, deadlifts, chinups (well, modified lol), bench press - all kinds of awesome exercises I would be missing out on if it weren't for her.

So yes, I think trainers are worth it - as long as you get one you like & who will help you reach YOUR goals. And of course having a trainer won't magically make weight drop off or increase strength. They are there to guide & educate, but you have to be willing to put in the work.

DVD workouts can be fun, but depending on how you learn you may not be doing things 100% correctly, and there's no one there to tell you.
  • lismany
    lismany Posts: 18 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

the training program is at a a gym called wow. so i dont think id always be guaranteed the same trainer unless i find someone and luck out to book them each time

does this mean it is less beneficial to have a group of personal trainers?

i was at the gym on my own today and watched them, looks to me like they directed people on and off machines, i dont need that. i can read instructions. is this something i can say? or is it normal for personal trainers to push machines...

such a tough decision thank you everyone for your stories and helpful information and suggestions

ive decided the price is righte just wondering if the value is there im definietly motivated and ready for change but dont want to hurt myself!
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I have a very special trainer and the trust is high now. He can read when to push when to stop me, watches form, challenges me, has me try new skills, changes it up so I do not get bored as well as the muscles getting accustom to it. I do cardio on own we talk about it. I also do not do all of my workout with him. He starts me shows me things if needed and monitors so for me it is a lot cheaper. Most days we spend only 10 min together. When we change etc it is longer. He realized I did more alone and pushed harder without him standing over me.