Bum Leg Interfering with My Success!

Options
Hey all, I've been trying to do the couch to 5k, and it’s not my wheezing that’s stopping me, its my leg muscle. It happens after I've been walking briskly for 7 - 10 minutes, and gets worse quicker the faster I go. It’s along the outside of my left shin. I've had shin splints before (when I was pregnant) and its nothing like that. It’s just like the muscle is knotting and by the end of my 25 - 30 minute walk I am limping and my leg is kinda numb?

I've been pushing through it because I thought it might just be that its’ a weak muscle? I have no idea, anyone else have this problem before I go to the doc? It’s frustrating when I have to stop when I feel like I could keep going for another half hour.

Replies

• Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I've been trying to do the couch to 5k, and it’s not my wheezing that’s stopping me, its my leg muscle. It happens after I've been walking briskly for 7 - 10 minutes, and gets worse quicker the faster I go. It’s along the outside of my left shin. I've had shin splints before (when I was pregnant) and its nothing like that. It’s just like the muscle is knotting and by the end of my 25 - 30 minute walk I am limping and my leg is kinda numb?

I've been pushing through it because I thought it might just be that its’ a weak muscle? I have no idea, anyone else have this problem before I go to the doc? It’s frustrating when I have to stop when I feel like I could keep going for another half hour.
  • andlofly
    andlofly Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Wow... does that sound familiar... I've got the same kind of problem with my left leg. Kind of... my problem is neurological and involves lots of other things too. Don't freak, I'm not saying yours is a neurological problem... just that I can sympathize with your frustrations.

I've lost 50% of the function in my left foot but still go to my aerobic classes. So what if I look funny doing it, right? My muscles spasm when they are at rest (mostly at night when I'm trying to sleep). I feel a pulling down the outer side of my left calf, my foot draws up and inward and locks into that position. I find that stretching the calf muscles helps A LOT with the discomfort.

The book Stretching Anatomy is awesome!!! It shows how to stetch all three of the muscles that are in the calf.
  • davidhaxor
    Options
    this might sound a bit wired but it does happen. if your legs arent an even length, one leg can be workign harder than the other. my girlfriend happens to have this, its a minor hassle bu it exist.

alos running and walking can be impaired by the wrong type of shoes, need more support especially if you notice you legs pulling in a direction other than straight forward

next time your walking start off slower then work up to a brisk pace, look down at your feet, see if your foot is pointing off to the side
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    this might sound a bit wired but it does happen. if your legs arent an even length, one leg can be workign harder than the other. my girlfriend happens to have this, its a minor hassle bu it exist.

alos running and walking can be impaired by the wrong type of shoes, need more support especially if you notice you legs pulling in a direction other than straight forward

next time your walking start off slower then work up to a brisk pace, look down at your feet, see if your foot is pointing off to the side

Huh... I know my hips are misaligned, and I am running with 5 year old sneakers (may as well be running barefoot). My left leg pulls out constantly, and the right side of my left foot (:huh:) never actually touches the ground, probably due to foot surgery I had several years ago. Obviously, the real problem here is that I am an idiot. :laugh: